Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Newbies Dry Camping Inverter Question

Newbies - We bought our Greyhawk last fall, and we tried dry camping a couple of weeks ago because all our reservations have been canceled so far and there was a great spot only a few miles away. We have a 1000 watt inverter, but we couldn't get it to work to power our phones or anything while we were out, so we went through the books and got our circuit tester out when we got home. All the outlets that were supposed to work had power and worked with the inverter engaged (shore power disconnected). Today, we went out because we wanted to see if the inverter would power a portable fan if we dry camped again (temps supposed to be in the 80's), and not one of those outlets worked. . . tried a few more times and viola . . the two bedroom outlets worked, but the one under the dinette with the USB ports still wouldn't come on. The TV outlet had power every time we thought to check it. Are we missing something we should be doing? Do we have a short somewhere? We're confused!!
NewRV4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

Without knowing the brand and model of your inverter , all we'll be able to do is guess .

Could you add that info to your post ?
Old 04-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #3

Some inverters have a seek mode and you need something to draw more power then the setting is.

Phone chargers may not do it but the fan should. If your checking for power, have something plugged in and on.

Your inverter should have a brand and model that you can use to download the operation guide.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
On our 2018 only the TV and 2 bedroom outlets are connected to the inverter.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

Not what you asked but I thought I’d mention that unless you added a second house battery, that inverter likely won’t provide long lasting off grid power.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
It's a 2019 Greyhawk MV and has a built in CS@2012 Pure Sine Wave Inverter. All we have to do is flip a switch on our coach control panel to activate it. It powers the two TVs, the two outlets in the bedroom, and the outlet (with USBs) under the dinette table. We use a circuit tester to test and the phones. It didn't work when we were out dry camping, but then it did in our driveway. We hadn't done anything differently. And then it didn't work yesterday - until it did. . . and then still not the outlet under the dinette.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Yup! We did add a second house battery. We originally thought about adding solar, but out local dealer suggested waiting on that to see if we really needed it and recommended a second house battery instead.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks JaytheDJ. Same for us, but also the outlet under the dinette with the two USBs.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
When we checked after returning home after dry camping, we used a circuit tester as well as our phones. Everything checked out fine - so we assumed we'd done something wrong while dry camping and nothing worked. Then yesterday - nothing worked, so we grabbed the circuit tester again - no power - until there was. . . but still not to the outlet under the dinette. When we did have power from the inverter - the fan would run.

Tags
camping, inverter, newbie, newbies