Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #29

We really like the Precept...price point, quality, layout, especially the kitchen. We have never had a driveable. Our camping has always been in towables from large fifth wheels to our present 2012 Sprinter 266. The step to a driveable is a big one for us, but we are thinking that our age (72) might make a class A a little easier to travel in. We are on the road about 200 days a year following bluegrass music and blogging about it. Might need to win the lottery first.
Irene L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene L View Post
We really like the Precept...price point, quality, layout, especially the kitchen. We have never had a driveable. Our camping has always been in towables from large fifth wheels to our present 2012 Sprinter 266. The step to a driveable is a big one for us, but we are thinking that our age (72) might make a class A a little easier to travel in. We are on the road about 200 days a year following bluegrass music and blogging about it. Might need to win the lottery first.
Oh Irene, I hope you are able to win the lottery. Just an FYI. The RV Show price when we saw it was $89900. We were able to negotiate a fantastic trade. We went from a Roadtrek 210 (similar to a Sprinter) to the Precept 31UL. We decided to move up in size because our grandchildren wanted to spend time with us in the camper. What we have found in the Precept is a dream compared to the Roadtrek.
The front or cab area is more roomy and comfortable while on the road.
The living area is set up great for socializing with the sofa opposite the table instead of lined up on the same side of the coach like in many motor homes.
The kitchen is set up ideally for preparing meals. We went with the 12 cu ft refrigerator and are very grateful. Did you know it even has an ice maker? The cabinet space in the camper is overwhelming after living in the Roadtrek last summer.
Having a normal shower is really great. And there is plenty of hot water because of the tankless water heater.
And then there's the bedroom. A real bed, closets and drawers. The bed is much more comfortable than sleeping in the Roadtrek.
Good luck, Irene.
lilmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #31

Just a note Irene. I realized that the Sprinter you have is a towable not a motorhome so the comparisons might not be applicable to you. Enjoy your search.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #32

Thumbs up

Bought a Precept late Jan and went to Fl for two months two days after getting it.
The J Ride is real nice and beat our older unit we traded as far as the ride. A 2008 Jayco Greyhawk class C. The Precept is also quieter.
However, the Precept does not come with a steering stablizer. Having one installed on our unit as it is affected by trucks and wind gusts. Understand from salesman the 2015 model will come with one. I had also upgraded the stablizer on the Greyhawk with positive results.

All and all the unit is well thought out and has some nice features. We have the deluxe package with two a/c units. That was real nice as you can run the one in the opposite end of the unit to reduce the noise. Entire system is ducted. As mentioned the 12cf fridge has a ice maker. My wife enjoyed that. An extra step to winterize but easy once you know how.
This unit has two house batteries, led lighting love the led awning light strip. The strip throws a lot of nice warm light. The unit is A little tight when closed up due to the two opposing slides but is really nice when open. Kitchen area as mentioned before is very well layed out. Would have liked another 110v outlet in the corner of the counter.

We replaced the towel hooks in the bathroom with two towel bars.
Although it has a sewer hose compartment it will only hold a very short hose.
Typical of a class A the cab heater does not do well in real cold weather.

Had some issues that Jayco is fixing. Good warranty service. One thing I hope Jayco will change is the mud flap mounting. On my unit the #8 self taping screws holding them in place were over torqued and the heads broke off and I had to temporarily fix it as one of the flaps was dragging. I used 1/4 20 nuts and bolts. Dealer is replacing all the screws for me as to do it right you have to pull the tires. The Jayco mud flaps come with a metal unit that protect the floor in the case of a blow out. Understand that most Jayco units have this. Had two friends recently, the tires shredded and ripped the floor and inside of camper.

All in all we are very happy with our unit and really glad we purchased it.
Saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #33

However, the Precept does not come with a steering stablizer. Having one installed on our unit as it is affected by trucks and wind gusts. Understand from salesman the 2015 model will come with one
Did you have Jayco install the steering stabilizer?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #34

Yes, had the Jayco dealer install the Stablizer. Chose the SafeTplus.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #35

Hi all. Hope this thread is still alive. We just took delivery on 2015 31UL The wandering is definitely there. Yesterday the alignment was checked and everything is right with settings. There is a stabilizer bar on the steering and I inquired about moving the setting to the second of two and the Ford truck shop recommended against that. Dealer advised to contact Jayco direct to look for a solution, so I will do that.
Often the first response to the wandering steering is "it's a box...it's going to be battered around by other vehicles". I have over 2 1/2 million safe driving miles with everything from a tanker to pulling 2 & 3 trailers with a semi tractor under my belt. I know when the wandering is excessive.
I looked at the SafeTplus Saarf recommended. Please post some updates on issues or cured issues with this system. It really looks very straight forward.
Thanks, Darrell
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #36

Finally got my unit back and have only driven the unit about 50 miles but the new SafeTPlus stabilizer seems to do its job. It was not windy so can't tell there but trucks did not bother it at all and I could track straight down the road. Most of the trip was 4 lane divided highway. Although I usually do not travel fast I had the unit just over 70 and it was fine.
Even though it was a short trip I feel it was worth the cost.

Previously I had a Jayco Greyhawk Class C. It did come with a stabilizer but changed out the Ford factory installed unit for a SafeTPus and there was also a hugh difference.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #37

Electrical Issue

This issue probably deserves its own thread but when I got my unit home the stabilizer jacks would not operate. The panel lights would come on but no jack operation. Long story short found a bad corroded connection on the electrical panel in the compartment next to the house batteries. Contacted the dealer for more warranty work. Ugh!
The dealer tech happened to be in the campground today and he agreed to take a quick look. He said that the entire panel needs service. The connections are either corroded or rusted. A 2 hour service call.
This is an open compartment just behind the wheels. Gets the road spray from the wheels. POOR DESIGN Jayco!
I would suggest that anyone with a new unit put dielectric grease on the connections before this happens.

Separate question. Is there a way to manually retract the Stablizer Jacks?

Fred
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #38

Fred, thanks for the update and encouragement on the SafeTplus. Jayco Tech is supposed to call me about the steering "wandering". I'll see what they have to say/recommend.
Also appreciate the advice on using dielectric grease. I was concerned during the intro walk through about the "open air" compartment. It's particularly susceptible to gathering salt air around the gulf/ocean areas.
As for the manual retracting of the stabilizer jacks...........I don't see an override per sey. In order to turn on the manual operation on the panel you need to hold the 'MAN" button for 5-7 seconds. The manual button will then be illuminated. Then you operate each leg independently. But if you didn't have a clean electrical connection, that wouldn't make a difference.
You didn't indicate whether or not your control panel lights came on. Sounds like you found the culprit though.
Again, thanks for the followup and info. It's an ongoing educational experience.
Darrell
Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #39

Yes, the panel lights came on as normal and the green level light also came on eventually. Weird, as is with electrical problems. The stabilizer solenoid is way in on that panel so the best idea is to pull the house batteries out of the unit to grease the connections. don't forget to disconnect the chassis battery, which is supplying power for the stablizers.
There is also a 120Amp block on the engine firewall by the chassis battery that deserves some dielectric grease.

I am thinking of putting a protective shield under the electrical panel. Looks like I could attach it under the batteries and it would still provide plenty of air flow. Any thoughts?
Thinking it would keep the road spray from directly hitting the electrical panel.
Fred
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #40

Winterizing

Ok, found another issue with the Precept. Went to winterize and I first blew the lines out (including ice maker), no problem. Then went to pump antifreeze thru with the demand pump and it would not prime.
My wife found on the net a solution. Before putting the hose in the city water connection, remove the screen filter and insert it backwards so it activates the check valve. That did the trick, but will have tech look at it. Should not be that hard to get prime!
Fred
Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarf View Post
Ok, found another issue with the Precept. Went to winterize and I first blew the lines out (including ice maker), no problem. Then went to pump antifreeze thru with the demand pump and it would not prime.
My wife found on the net a solution. Before putting the hose in the city water connection, remove the screen filter and insert it backwards so it activates the check valve. That did the trick, but will have tech look at it. Should not be that hard to get prime!
Fred
Hi Fred. Like your idea of a protective cover for the electronics. I haven't worked on it yet but there are enough cross members and places to attach a/some shields around the electrics. More on that later.
The screen filter you are referring to............on the city water connection itself? I don't understand why that would make a difference or why it would be necessary. But, thanks for posting the resolve.
We will probably winterize a couple of times this year. We'll be camping off and on several times so all depends on how quick winter slams us.
Stay happy
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #42

Just some updates........we added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. We haven't driven it very far to the camp grounds so no long distance report, but I can definitely see the difference in maintaining my lane position.
We are becoming very comfortable with "Bertha". Each time we go out, we find something that tweaks our excitement. Sometimes there are things that need tweaking but that's the nature of the beast.
All in all we are very happy and excited about spending more time camping/travelling.

Wonder if Irene L made the move.

lilmover............any reports, where have you been camping?
Thanks all