Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
dog house removal

Hi Ed, I was wondering what tool you used to get screws out I’m trying a t-15 and t-20 but nether one fits, could they be metric or are my screw heads just rounded out.
Jay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Hi @Jay58,

I'll need to check for you, and I will, but I think these are common #8 square recessed. You definitely don't want to round the heads, so make sure you've got the right bit before you put torque on the screws.

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay58 View Post
Hi Ed, I was wondering what tool you used to get screws out I’m trying a t-15 and t-20 but nether one fits, could they be metric or are my screw heads just rounded out.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #17
GTT

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhiggins View Post
Hi @Jay58,

I'll need to check for you, and I will, but I think these are common #8 square recessed. You definitely don't want to round the heads, so make sure you've got the right bit before you put torque on the screws.

Ed
FYI - I found a square #2 worked on my PRECIPT.

Ed,

I completed covering my front engine bay with B-Quite. It was very challenging because of the very limited space to work in.
I was unable to sound proof my doghouse because it was glued to the forward wall.

Last week, we took our RV back for some warranty work. One of the issues was, IMHO, excessive heat coming from the doghouse. Upon inspection, it was determined there was a lack of insulation. The dealer is now waiting for Jayco’s authorization to add/increase the area’s insulation.

I am planning to install the B-Quite in our doghouse before returning to have the proper insulation installed. Will keep you posted.

Blue skies and tailwinds!

Tom M.
GTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the correction on the square head driver size... #2. Glad you got the front done, albeit tight quarters indeed.

On your doghouse, strange is the part about it being glued in place. Can you share a bit more detail about that?

I had to pry mine up with gradual pressure all the way around, and I took a long time doing it. But, this was mostly because I didn't want to crack anything since I was doing it for the first time on a brand new motorhome.. but it lifted. The inside of my doghouse had a black heatproof undercoating but not any additional insulation - hence my sincere curiosity for how these are "supposed to be".... I'm curious what Jayco returns to you regarding heat from the doghouse. Haha - now I'm wondering why mine didn't have glue on it. (Am I lucky, or missing out on something?)...

The Be-Quiet we've got is an exceptional heat and sound proofing material, so I am very curious what Jayco does with your complaint and what they suggest doing... keep me posted please...

We hadn't logged enough miles to have felt any heat (we did take a couple of 200-mile initial shakedown trips), but we didn't notice any heat building on these trips (and, we were definitely watching for any based on other historic reports from other RVers with doghouses). We were pretty happy that heat didn't seem to be a problem - underscored how positive I feel about Jaycos good build quality in our models.. So, when I did my doghouse, I was really just targeting sound with added heat protection as an extra. We did notice great sound reduction on our 300-mile shakedown #3 trip, so I called it done.

Good luck and please keep me posted on how yours turns out. Godspeed.

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT View Post

Ed,

I completed covering my front engine bay with B-Quite. It was very challenging because of the very limited space to work in.
I was unable to sound proof my doghouse because it was glued to the forward wall.

Last week, we took our RV back for some warranty work. One of the issues was, IMHO, excessive heat coming from the doghouse. Upon inspection, it was determined there was a lack of insulation. The dealer is now waiting for Jayco’s authorization to add/increase the area’s insulation.

I am planning to install the B-Quite in our doghouse before returning to have the proper insulation installed. Will keep you posted.

Tom M.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Dog house screws and heat

Thanks Ed for getting back to me. I finally got mine off and it was siliconed around the front, and I slowly pryed on it. The under-side of dog house was just a black coating no insulation. I too will be interested in what Jayco will say!
Jay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Hey Tom, Jay and others....

Hope you all are doing well and staying safe...

Tom, Any news on Jayco looking at your insulation situation? There's a few of us here curious about your dealer and Jayco addressing your heat concern...

So, over this crazy summer here in Texas we've had a few long-distance runs during the heat of the day. My 2020 Precept 34G hasn't been getting any engine heat inside - doghouse only gets mildly warm to touch and it feels more like ambient temp versus engine here. But, I'm still curious to know what Jayco did to help you....

For all of us that soundproofed our coaches, I'd love to hear how yours turned out and the results. While I'm impressed by my before/after results, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you felt similar improvement...

Hope to hear from you guys, at least to know its all going well...

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT View Post

Ed,

Tom M.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #21
GTT

Jayco Owners Club
Hey guys

Sorry for my delayed response. My dealer had to get authorization from Jayco before adding the missing insulation. It took a while and after some prodding, Jayco finally approved the work. I was not able to monitor what the dealer’s maintenance actually did for their corrective action. However, my doghouse is now significantly cooler.

Living in Gulf Shores, we have been busy dealing with the COVID restrictions and hurricane Sally. Now Zeta is heading north to harass everyone again. Great to hear from you guys.

Tom
GTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you and glad you are well and safe. Good to hear that your doghouse is now cooler and that Jayco came through for you...

Yup, COVID and all the hurricanes have created quite a lousy 2020. I hope you and yours stay safe with Zeta approaching.

This past Sunday we returned from a week-long trip to Galveston Island - stayed at Jamaica Beach RV Park, which is a wonderful place and we lucked out on the weather as it was record warm 80-90s the whole time, but returned home to a drizzly, raw 49 degrees in North Texas.

My Precept performed very well. A month ago, I purchased a Stehl tow dolly (electric brakes) and Curt Spectrum Brake Controller kit and Jayco/F53 harness (super easy install and a great combination). We toad'd our Honda Pilot FWD to Galveston with two 10.5' kayaks on its roof racks. I will tell you, the Precept tows very nicely - very stable and well behaved, like the TOAD wasn't even there. So, if you consider towing behind your Precept, I think you'll like the experience.

Over the summer, on a previous August week-long trip to Galveston (a different park: Galveston Island RV Park, but also very nice), I did have one issue with my over the door awning: the motor died (it seized probably infant mortality as I really hadn't used it). Carefree (great support) sent me a replacement motor which I replaced myself at home. I posted an article in the forum with some important details...bottom line, the factory installed the awning's mounting bracket upside down - which I figured out only when removing the awning to replace the motor - nearly knocked my a$$ off the ladder. Again, the article I wrote goes into all the details and I was curious if others found the same factory install issue...

So far that's been my only issue to date, so I'm still feeling impressed/fortunate by the excellent build quality and I'm actually very picky. I recently read a few horror stories about folks with new coaches having major build issues, so I feel pretty fortunate, lucky perhaps, that my experience is quite the opposite.

Anyway, I write too much, but just that I'm eager to learn others' experiences and share what I know and discover about our rides...

Take care and be safe,
EdClick image for larger version

Name:	20201019_104042_capture(8).jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	306245