Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #1

Thumbs up Precept Prestige Feedback

Would like to hear from any owners on pro and cons of these motor homes. I am not new to class A gas motor homes - have dealt with my Winnebago Vista 36Y/F53 chassis issues for 5 years.
Thank - you in advance!
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Would like to hear from any owners on pro and cons of these motor homes. I am not new to class A gas motor homes - have dealt with my Winnebago Vista 36Y/F53 chassis issues for 5 years.
Thank - you in advance!
We have a 36U that we purchased 17 months and 10K miles ago. We've been very pleased with every aspect, including power, quietness, almost no rattles or squeaks. Only two issues and they weren't Jayco's fault. First was the auto generator start controller had to be replaced and the Soundstream radio/gps had to be replaced.
We also had an A.C. unit go out at the one year mark, but dealer and Jayco replaced no problems.
We are considering a diesel later this summer once our two year warranty expires, but only due to weight limits of what we want to tow.
We're actually packing for a trip leaving this Friday and I'm still amazed at the amount of storage this coach has.
Just an FYI, our coach weighed right at 21K with most of our camping supplies, but no food or clothing. With the 30K gvrw, it allows a lot of room for stuff if needed.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
GTT

Jayco Owners Club
We are very pleased with our 2020 Precept 34G. We have driven over 2,000 without any issues. They is a rare squeal from one of the windows in strong crosswinds, at highway speeds.
GTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Window squeals

I have a 2019 precept 36a bunkhouse,I found the front windows would squeal and would unlock them and slide window open and closed than lock them again.depending on wind direction I would just leave them unlocked. We love our precept but I did put a SCT engine programmer in it and it helped tremendously with the transmission shift points and power up the hills
Jay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #5
GTT

Jayco Owners Club
Jay58 - Thanks for your feedback. Curious which SCT engine programmer you selected to installed. Thanks again and safe travels!
Old 03-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
The engine programmer came from UltraRV products,it’s a little pricey but I think it’s worth the money
Old 04-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT View Post
We are very pleased with our 2020 Precept 34G. We have driven over 2,000 without any issues. They is a rare squeal from one of the windows in strong crosswinds, at highway speeds.
We also have a brand new 2020 Precept 34G and love it. We got Otter Rock/full body paint, farmhouse, and added to the tech (in-motion sat, wifi) and upgraded the rear air to 15k HP since we're in the south. We have only logged around 1,500 miles.

What impressed me most was, we couldn't find any defects and fit/finish is right on, no defects so far (cross fingers), everything works perfectly, and overall very quiet. I'm really picky and was very impressed by the build quality - Jayco is clearly putting in the A+ effort and doing much better on improving the brand. Also, we just love the floorplan- well done and everything is well thought out and purposeful.

With C-19 shutdown boredom, I installed B-Quiet Ultimate sound proofing under the front (external under-dash, under wheel liners, engine bay, and doghouse), which has essentially nullified engine/road noise (which wasn't too bad to begin with) but now it's very quiet...

Good luck. Stay safe!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_100057.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	282861
Old 04-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #8

Thank-you so much for your reply. Glad to hear your prospective. We bought a new 36H right before all shut down. Only one issue, front end horribly out of alignment- real pain to find a shop that will do it. I found one finally, but it is a 4 hour drive. Will wait before next trip. We drove a Winnebago 36Y for last 5 years. When I am getting front end aligned, I will have shop do steering stabilizer - I did last one - but what a pain to get it adjusted correctly on back country roads.
Safe travels, stay healthy, stay young, and remember what Spock said! ��
Never heard of the “ quiet fix” you did. Where can I get info on it?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Thank-you so much for your reply. Glad to hear your prospective. We bought a new 36H right before all shut down. Only one issue, front end horribly of alignment- real pain to find a shop that will do it. I found one finally, but it is a 4 hour drive. Will wait before next trip. We drove a Winnebago 36Y for last 5 years. When I am getting front end aligned, I will have shop do steering stabilizer - I did last one - but what a pain to get it adjusted correctly on back country roads.
Safe travels, stay healthy, stay young, and remember what Spock said! ��
Never heard of the “ quiet fix” you did. Where can I get info on it?
Sorry to hear about your alignment issue, and hope it gets sorted and riding straight real quick.. Surely, it will be dialed in soon for you...

Regarding, quietening the front, just google "soundproofing rv engine" and you'll get many examples that give you the idea. Since our models don't have carpet in the driver/co-pilot area, we can't soundproof the floor insided, under carpet pad like older or perhaps other models. Meaning, we have to treat it from the outside and under the low profile dogouse...

To see where (and you'll easily see what I mean): just open your front engine service door (where you top up fluids) and look up inside there under where the dash is. All that black-painted plywood across the front is the only separation between your ears and the engine. It's just one target area you can shield to make things notably more quiet.

There are many sound and heat shielding products for the automotive industry. B-Quiet Ultimate is just one of tgem, but it's very good and great value for money. I have used this in many classic muscle car builds that I've done.. Lots of audio pros install this stuff to deaden road and engine noise inside the vehicle. Note: always choose versions of these products that are rated for underhood installation (heat rated).

The material is basically butyl rubber with aluminum skin on the top side and sticky adhesive on the bottom. You essentially cut and apply these sheets to accessible surfaces under the cockpit, engine bay, and under your doghouse.

The factory (all of them really) does only a minimal job of this. I wish Jayco would consider doing this, since it's a negligible additional cost and so much easier to do during assemble versus later (aka, it's a pita of a project for us to do.)

Hope the additional details help you and others. Yeah, like Spock said!

Ed
Old 05-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Precept engine noise

edhiggins I was wondering how you did the dog house on your coach, if you took it off or did it from the bottom side
Old 05-04-2020, 06:38 AM   #11
GTT

Jayco Owners Club
Recently added a SCT engine programmer and extremely pleased with the improvement to our Precipt’s transmission performance. You wouldn’t recognize the improved performance as being the same RV. My B-Quiet Ultimate has been shipped and look forward to installing it. Looking forward to reading edhiggins reply with installation suggestions. Thanks for this informative discussion. Stay healthy and safe! — Tom
Old 05-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Recently added a SCT engine programmer and extremely pleased with the improvement to our Precipt’s transmission performance. You wouldn’t recognize the improved performance as being the same RV. My B-Quiet Ultimate has been shipped and look forward to installing it. Looking forward to reading edhiggins reply with installation suggestions. Thanks for this informative discussion. Stay healthy and safe! — Tom
Hey Tom, sorry for the few days away.

I removed my doghouse and installed the material on the underside. To remove the doghouse I found a really good post in the forum that a fellow got from Jayco. You basically unscrew the doghouse (11 screws) all around, unscrew center dash insert (4 screws) and gently lift it out of the way, then unscrew the dash bottom edge from doghouse (3-4 screws), lift the dash up to take pressure off and lift/slide out the doghouse. P. I. T. A..... just take it slow... If I can find the link, I'll post it here to save you and others the searching (e.g. search: "sound deadening"). But, what I have written here is essentially the same... Apply the shielding (cut to size, peel/stick). I ran a heatgun (mild heat) over the material to soften it and help the sticky adhesive. It's pretty sticky...Put your dogouse back on. Like the old Chiltons manuals used to say: "installation is the opposite of removal".

All the rest can only by done from the outside, since there is no carpet to conceal it.. if you had carpeting, then this material can be applied right to the floor and lay the carpet on top.. but, our models are vinyl-wood flooring, hence we can't... so we have to go outside...

One of the easier places and greatest impacts on noise reduction is under the foremost part of the dash - you reach it from the engibe bay,, in front of the radiator and look up... all that plywood is a giant resonant surface - cover it. Cut/Peel/Stick. I used heavy-duty staples on the plywood to help the glue defy gravity.

Lastly, there are a few other resonant metal surfaces (e.g., just aft of the steering column, for example ) that you can cover. BUT, just don't put material anywhere that could interfere with any mechanical or electrical part, etc... you do not have to cover everything 100% for sound proofing to be effective. I probably went overboard on my project, but mine did turn out very quiet.

Good luck and let me know how yours turns out.

Best,
Ed
Old 05-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
GTT

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks Ed for providing the steps you followed for installing B-Quiet in your RV.

It is very helpful to be able to visualize the process before operating, so to speak. I will also install Soft Start mods on both ACs. Really excited about these pending upgrades.

Will provide an “after action” report after closing up. Stay healthy and safe!

Tom
Old 05-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
You're welcome Tom. Your will turn out great! Keep us posted and good luck.
Quote:
Thanks Ed for providing the steps you followed for installing B-Quiet in your RV.

It is very helpful to be able to visualize the process before operating, so to speak. I will also install Soft Start mods on both ACs. Really excited about these pending upgrades.

Will provide an “after action” report after closing up. Stay healthy and safe!

Tom