Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Removing Doghouse Cover on 2020 Entegra Vision 29F

Either I am missing something, or this is the worst engineered doghouse cover I've ever seen. I have taken off all of the screws holding the doghouse cover on, but it seems to be locked in place by the center console, and the dash itself. Also it would seem to have silicone sealant securing it to the floor?

I would very much like to insulate the doghouse cover as it is putting off a lot of heat, not to mention noise.

How have others done this?

Attached is a picture of the cover.

In the other jumble of wires picture, I have pulled back the center console, only to find that the doghouse cover sure seems to run all the way back, with a let at the back.

Cheers,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8703.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	290427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8704.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	290428  

rv_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #2

I called Entegra Coach this morning, and they confirmed that the doghouse cover is locked in place by the center console and one-piece dash. So, those have to be removed, or at least dislodged, before the doghouse cover will come off.

Additionally, the doghouse cover is sealed under the screws with an adhesive which will also need to be pried off and re-sealed when complete.

:(
Old 06-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #3

Angry

That doesn’t sound good, we just purchased our MH 3 days ago. We are having the same concern in our 2020 Entegra Vision 27A not only is the dog house hot, anything above 35-45 miles an hour and it feels like someone turned the heater on. Not a happy camper.
Pipebndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipebndr View Post
That doesn’t sound good, we just purchased our MH 3 days ago. We are having the same concern in our 2020 Entegra Vision 27A not only is the dog house hot, anything above 35-45 miles an hour and it feels like someone turned the heater on. Not a happy camper.
Not only that, but the air conditioning ductwork is not insulated, and the ductwork runs just over the doghouse. So when you're driving, the heat coming up from the doghouse warms up the air that is supposed to be cold!

Here is a picture of my a/c ducts just after pulling back the center console:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8720.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	290986  
Old 06-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

Another case of poor engineering along with a lack of quality control[emoji53]!
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retnasaguy View Post
Another case of poor engineering along with a lack of quality control[emoji53]!
Cheers
Indeed
Old 07-08-2020, 11:33 PM   #7

It wasn't easy, but I wiggled the doghouse cover off underneath the center console. The underside of the cover is painted a chalky black substance - I've no idea what it is. However, the engine is so close to the doghouse cover that I almost can't fit the insulation in.

The sticky underside of the dynamat was having a hard time staying stuck to the black chalky underside, so I used some scrap metal I had to help keep it all in place. The bolts holding the metal in place are hidden underneath the center console.

It's all back together now. Here are before/after pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8804.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	292423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8806.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	292424  

Name:	IMG_8808.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	292425  
Old 07-10-2020, 02:26 AM   #8

Very nice. I notice at the bottom of where the center console fits that their half moon circles. Mine is continuous across the bottom that makes the left and right dash panels all one piece that screws to the top of the Doghouse. Did you cut yours out our was it that way when you pulled it apart? Definitely would make it easier not having that bottom connection.
Pipebndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #9

After you added the Dynamat or whatever you used, do you notice a big difference in the noise and heat department. Dynamat is mainly a sound insulator, but does help a little with the heat.
I am about to do the same thing, so i was very glad to see your post. Thank you for doing that. Not looking forward to getting it off. Do Entegra really expect engine maintenance mechanics to have to take that off every time. Horrible engineering.
Chris Hayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayes3 View Post
After you added the Dynamat or whatever you used, do you notice a big difference in the noise and heat department. Dynamat is mainly a sound insulator, but does help a little with the heat.
I am about to do the same thing, so i was very glad to see your post. Thank you for doing that. Not looking forward to getting it off. Do Entegra really expect engine maintenance mechanics to have to take that off every time. Horrible engineering.
It did not make much of a difference in noise, but it sure did in heat. Not only does the doghouse not feel hot to the touch anymore (or even warm, for that matter), but the A/C is also colder because the un-insulated duct work is not exposed to as much heat in that area anymore.

I used a layer of the 50 mil dynamat (for noise), covered by a layer of 3/4" dynamat hood liner (for heat).
Old 07-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipebndr View Post
Very nice. I notice at the bottom of where the center console fits that their half moon circles. Mine is continuous across the bottom that makes the left and right dash panels all one piece that screws to the top of the Doghouse. Did you cut yours out our was it that way when you pulled it apart? Definitely would make it easier not having that bottom connection.
Mine is also continuous across the bottom (if you look very closely in the picture with the exposed wiring, you can see it).

Here is a picture of the area before I pulled it apart:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8703.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	293506  
Old 08-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #12

In my experience, the floor around that dog house cover can be very hot as well. Did it appear as if there was a way to put that dynamat product under the floor (the roof of the engine compartment) around the dog house area? Thanks!
Entegrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:34 AM   #13

Looks like they took the time to have a professional wiring look.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #14

The problem with the noise is there is no firewall like in a car, so protecting the dog house helps but there are just too many areas that bring in the noise, to make insulating anything effective. Heat intrusion is easier to minimize.
RV Cruiser has got me interested in doing what he did to mine.
Chris Hayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, dog, entegra, vision