Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Solar Package by Jayco

I just purchased a jayco 267bhsw rocky mountain baja edition with solar package it already has panel on roof and hooked up to battery and I'm getting power but there's no charge controller question is controller built into panel can't get and answer from dealer or jayco. need help.
thomas1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomas1952 View Post
I just purchased a jayco 267bhsw rocky mountain baja edition with solar package it already has panel on roof and hooked up to battery and I'm getting power but there's no charge controller question is controller built into panel can't get and answer from dealer or jayco. need help.
What is the output of the solar? If small enough it may not have a controller.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #3

unloaded disconnected from battery I got 21 volts hookup to battery 12.9 volts in good sun
Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #4

Quote:
The charge controller is likely in the pass through storage compartment, on the front bulkhead.
Socal Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Some panels have a controller on the back of the panel. Some require a remote controller. Did you get operators or installation instructions for the panel? Find make and model of the panel. Google it.

An uncontrolled panel would be bad for the battery. The battery will keep the voltage down for a while, but in long term storage, battery may loose all its water. That is very bad for the battery. It all depends on how much power the uncontrolled panel produces.

Check battery terminal voltage periodically while in storage. Voltage should stay below 13.8 volts, 13.3 volts for AGM batteries. 13.3 is a better float for storage for flooded cell battery life as well.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #6

I hope they didn't connect right to the battery. As suggested above, get the model number for the panel and look it up. If the charge controller isn't built into the panel, trace the wires all the way to the battery. It is hard to believe someone would hook it up without a charge controller, you can find a cheap PWM controller on amazon for less than $20.

The 21 volts seems right for a 12V Panel with no load (disconnected sitting in the sun with a voltmeter attached). However, my MPPT charge controller will output to a 12V or 24V battery bank and the manual says you have to connect to the battery bank before the panels so it can detect the correct output voltage. I am not sure what it would do if the panel was connected but the battery was not.

The 12.9V seems a little low for a float charge. Trojan recommends 13.5V and US Battery recommended 13.1V, for flooded Lead Acid batteries.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

The 12.9V seems a little low for a float charge. Trojan recommends 13.5V and US Battery recommended 13.1V, for flooded Lead Acid batteries.
12.9V is a little low. It is however, a good voltage for storage. It probably indicates a fully charged battery.

It may mean the solar charger lacks capacity bring it up higher at the moment. Later the voltage may rise as it slowly tops off the charge. It could mean the charger is not working. Periodic monitoring until you are confident may be called for both to find out if it is working adiquately and if it is over charging.

Recharge the battery bank before voltage drops to 12.4 volts and disconnect the solar if voltage rises above 13.8 volts. Be sure to check water level after charging and if you have to disconnect the solar. Charging consumes water.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Old 12-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #8

Jayco Solar Package 2

well after I got home and battery fully charged and good sun I measured 15.08 volts at Beatty is that to high?
Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

14.5 volts is normal charge rate for an alternator. Now, did you let it settle out for about an hour before checking, or do it right away? They need to sit and settle the charge first to even out the cells. Just from my experience of working on 12 volt cars since '66.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #10

after getting home and battery fully charged I measured 15.08 volts
Old 12-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #11

Just curious if there was already a solar panel on your roof before you added? Because solar panels should be matched?
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
after getting home and battery fully charged I measured 15.08 volts
Yes, 15V is too high, especially for a "fully charged" battery, and will damage your battery if not corrected. The optional "Solar Power Package" on your trailer lists a 100W panel and a 30A Controller. Previously, I believe Jayco has gone with GoPower solar panels and controllers. You should have a 30A PWM controller somewhere. Usually, it's far forward, close to the battery. Look in the master bedroom and forward storage. I wouldn't even be surprised if it were in a cabinet. It's possible that the installers screwed up and wired your solar panel directly to the battery, but that would be extreme incompetence.
Socal Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #13

I agree with SocialSalt. 15 volts is too high for a fully charged battery. 13.8 is usually the maximum when fully charged.

15v will consume water, raise the temperature of the battery, and cause plate oxidation.

Some smart chargers apply a brief high voltage spike for battery conditioning, but most solar chargers do not.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #14

finally found a dealer that looked into my problem and talked to jayco and jayco is sending a controller and dealer going to install and wire it as it should have been done in first place just have to wait on part and after holiday so around Jan 5th or so o well also I unhooked panel just plugged into shore power as I have an outside 30amp hookup at home

Tags
jayco, solar