Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #1

Starting up after Winterized

Hello all. I have winterized my Jayco 31FS C Class and have a question. I removed the battery and brought it inside my house and put on a battery tender. With that said, I want to start up the engine and run the generator throughout the winter. Do I have to put the battery back in before running my generator? If I don't reinstall the battery, will I be able to put a load on the generator like lights, A/C? I think no, but wanted to check with all.

Thanks in advance,

James
Tantsits is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless you're taking it out and driving it to get all fluids up to operating temps, just let it sleep till spring time, there's no need to run it just to run it every month or so. Must of us let our generator sleep all winter too and then in the spring run it and put a good load on it for about 1 hr.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

There are at least 2 batteries in your Class C.

If you only removed the chassis battery, under the hood, you can start the generator with the house battery.

Don't attempt to use the boost switch, with the engine battery cables laying about. In any case, you should tape up the positive cable end, if you do what you plan to do.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

I only removed the house battery, not the chassis. I am just worried that I won't be putting a load on the generator until late March when Intake it out. Sitting for 3 months without starting worries me.
Tantsits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever1ast15 View Post
I only removed the house battery, not the chassis. I am just worried that I won't be putting a load on the generator until late March when Intake it out. Sitting for 3 months without starting worries me.
OK, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Letting it sit with gas in the generator carb is risky.

My MH is far from me in winter, so I remove the gas line from the fuel pump and start it up. Once it runs out of gas, I reconnect it. That way it's ready for use.

You can run the generator off the chassis battery but you would need to keep the boost or aux. switch on. Again, making sure the house cables are insulated from ground.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter