Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

Super Problematic Precept Prestige

Wish I could tell you all how much we are enjoying our new Precept Prestige 36H, but that is far from the truth. We are not first timers and have owned 3 new motor homes, this being our second class A. This was the nicest, most expensive, and first and last JAYCO we will ever own. Very nice appointments and features, but quality control and construction are shoddy from both the Ford F53 frame and the coach itself.
On driving home after delivery, I noticed front end isuues, pulling and steering wheel off center. Chassis air condtioning was flukey, blowing super cold for an hour then modulating every now and then to a luke warm, moist flow. Finally a trip to a Ford truck center and an independent shop straightened out front end issue and airconditioner. Not so- airconditioning still intermittent even after a trip and 19 days in a second Ford Truck center.
Finally on the road for our first real trip other than to a repair shop. The failures and problems are adding up at an alarming rate. Most notable and unforgivable is that the front passenger slide leaks when it rains. Not talking a drip - but a steady flow of water into the stair wheel. Called JAYCO and they told us, " Jayco recommends that you pull the slide in when it pours". REALLY - are you f*+^#'* kidding me? Then he said that we could put a tarp over it? WOW - what great customer service! Why did I not think of that? Did I mention that the front door is out of alignment so much that the man here is the only one that can force it open? Other annoyances include an uneven shower stall that holds water, awning must be pulled out a bit before it will open, black water guage unrelaible, hour meter runs on generator when driving, a few electrical items that don't work, and a host or other minor things. I smell a lemon here!
If you are looking at a JAYCO, consider this. No one at the factory or the dealer ever test drove this to make sure all components functioned properly.
This is a good driving coach for a F53 chasis now that front end was properly built. The appointments are super, but overall there is a lack of quality contol from JAYCO. You can use the best components in the world, but if they are put together in a slip shod manner the end result will be poor, as evidenced in this 36H.
It may be a one of a kind? Who knows? We have spent countless hours driving, waiting, and talking to people on the phone to get this back into the condition it should have been for delivery.
In the end I will be out another day and a 300 mile journey for repairs - AGAIN>
Good thing there is a ususable LEMON LAW in Florida.
I thought, "buyer beware", only existed in the used market.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Take a deep breath and realize all RVs have issues. If a water leak and AC concern are all that plagues your new RV then consider yourself lucky. Hang in there it will get resolved.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:54 AM   #3

Sorry that is all that you took from my rant. I must not have expressed my dissatisfaction with JAYCO quality accurately enough. Yes all rolling homes have issues - not this many though, or ones that were built in. This is our third New MOTORHOME and about 65,000 miles of driving.
There is no final check ride or a quality assurance department that certified that all the equipment at least worked once.
This morning temperature is 40 degrees - door jam is so warped that I can only close door with a bungee cord.
Did I mention that the head board fell off the wall driving home after delivery?
Did I mention that the king pins and bushings were installed incorrectly from Ford?
I wish it was only A/C and a leak!
It has been said that if you are given lemons than make lemonade. I am squeezing like a madman! 🍋 🍋
Old 10-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
YC1

Frustrating when you spend so much for something and it has defects. I have not had one RV that did not have some issues.

They provide most and in some cases, all of the parts but never promise they will work together for one weekend in a row.

My last rv had almost unusable brakes and they never resolved it. I carried an anchor for emergency stops.

Our current RV, bought new in 08 was on of the large expensive (to us) diesel pushers. A crazy leak that happened only when parked at a right leaning angle with rain (was rare in Calif), so it was incredibly hard to sort.

The RV has become a hobby for me and I enjoy modifying things but the upkeep alone is incredible living in it full time.

Be patient going through the infancy period. It will keep you up at night like a baby when first born.

I have never found a new rv that didn't have some front end issues or handling issues. We have spent thousands getting this one to drive properly.

The more complex the systems the more places for failures. Poor critter lives on top of a volcano spewing tremendous heat into the innards and the shaking will even impress a Native Californian. Things will come loose and break.

Be handy with tools, a voltmeter, and a check book. Often all three.

Read your owners manual like you are having a mid-term test. Some dark and lonely night you will need to remember where that darn fuse panel is hidden by some genius at the factory. Take notes, highlight things. It's your book so go ahead and turn the corners down and write all over it.

Carry plenty of pain killers too. Cold beer is a real treat at the end of a 500 mile day, as you iie there with your eyes open wondering "what broke today".

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:05 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Unfortunately it sounds like it took Thor less than 5 years to "recreate Jayco in its' image"? It's really too bad that you're having all of these issues. I had been considering a new Precept, but your issues will make me reconsider it. I realize that there are issues with all new motorhomes, but the attitudes of factory "assistance" personnel is inexcusable.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

Maybe as a group, all RV owners should demand more in customer service/factory support. It is important to SELL, but what about after the sale? Bring it back in a month is about a standard reply. Also very important to check on your states Lemon Law. When you have finally reached your last nerve ending and you are tired of all the excuses - talk to a legal beagle and pull the trigger. Accountability and responsibility for promised quality seems lacking in this industry.
Would once again state - this is a real nice looking coach, great appointments, really easy to spend extended time in, and after front end was reconstructed it is, what I feel, a pretty nice driver.
What would it cost to have a quality assurance department to go it prior to delivery ?
SELL, SELL, SELL seems more important than overall customer satisfaction. A personal problem for us is that we live hundreds of miles from nearest JAYCO store. Thanks to all who read. Most important -really go over the unit with a fine tooth comb on delivery . Check every outlet, plumbing connection, valve, appliance, cabinet , furniture, and trim. Then make sure you do a test drive prior to going home. Don’t assume because it has over 1,000 miles on speedometer that it drives well!
It should not be this way, but BUYER BEWARE!
A great dealer makes all the difference in the world, even if the coach is problematic and poorly built at the factory. GOOD LUCK ! I am in the trenches ! ����
Old 10-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #7

I see so many posts about how trusting people pay thousands and thousands of their hard earned dollars for an RV and then allow the dealer to give them a quickee PDI and familiarization, often not even leaving the dealers lot. Then when they have issues they are told yes we can fix it, 3 months but you have to leave the vehicle. It is time for owners to band together and do something about it.
As long as there are no consequences for manufacturer or dealer there will be no change.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #8

You certainly have my sympathy. After the debacle with our last fifth wheel (the brand with the big D on the front cap) I vowed to never purchase another rv put together by the amish in Indiana. I've been told that I may have anger issues and if I had crossed paths with a horse and buggy no telling what may have happened. Thus we downsized considerably to a small and simple travel trailer assembled in Oregon. After the first year and several thousand miles the only problem has been that one of six stereo speakers doesn't work. RVing is enjoyable again!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
>>>Most notable and unforgivable is that the front passenger slide leaks when it rains. Not talking a drip - but a steady flow of water into the stair wheel. Called JAYCO and they told us, " Jayco recommends that you pull the slide in when it pours".<<<

That is totally unacceptable.
We've decided to keep our 15 year old Winnie, rather than buy a new one. The more I hear of the problems people have with new RV's, the more I am sure we made the right decision.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your Jayco's issues resolved. Hopefully all will be well soon.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #10

Thanks to all who replied. All very true - we drove a 2015 Winnebago VISTA for 4 1/2 years. 3 trips back to a Winnebago store and 2 to independent shops to get issues taken care of. Yes, I have scratched my head more than once wondering why I traded it in with zero defects? All that glitters is not gold. Although this coach has what I consider major issues, I know that in the end they will all fixed or I will be in a another Precept Prestige. It is a very pleasant motor to live in, and I have put a couple of expensive after market upgrades, so I hope those responsible step up and fix it without us lawyering up. A friend reminded me of something more important - he said, “ you have problems of prosperity”. So true, we may be a little old , but we are basically, healthy, loving, and joyful. We really don’t need this - so should it become that bothersome we will pull the ejection handles!
All get out there and VOTE!
Old 10-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #11

Wow!! I have a 2020 precept 29 with some issues. Not as bad as yours and i know how mad i get. I agree jayco quality is bad!!!
I get nice customer servive on the phone from jayco but poor service for repairs.
If you bought a Mercedes benz with these issues it would be unheard of.
Mine are small issues but its a long list. Been in service 5 weeks and 2 visits since june and almost no issues have been repaird.
I feel your pain, maybe we can get a class action suit 😃
Thanks im venting with you
Bullet370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #12

Bullet370. Thanks for your reply. It shouldn’t nor does it have to be this way. Check your state LEMON LAWS, specifically for RV/Motorhomes. Florida is very specific, but user friendly , a little time consuming. I have a friend going through it know, final resolution in a few weeks after about a 10 month ordeal. I do believe that they is a lack of accountability and responsibility in this industry. SELL SELL SELL, no service and due to demand quality suffers!
Keep after them, the squeaky wheel gets the grease !
Old 10-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Hey Flavius,

Sorry to hear of all the issues with your coach. That's really rough and must be very aggravating. My 2020 precept 34G has been very good and still pretty much problem free after a few week-long trips and around 15 weekends...After reading your list of problems and unacceptable responses, all I can do is consider myself very lucky that ours has been the opposite.

A couple of things though:

We literally just got back home from the 2nd week-long trip to the Gulf Coast. I noticed that when putting my awning out yesterday (Saturday), after a week of in-outs, when starting to unroll the awning, it wanted to bunch up at the top, as if the gas shock was losing its pressure and not keeping tension so to push out the awning as it unrolled. I caught it in time to reverse it and help it out.... but it sounds like what's happening to yours. I wonder if the awning's gas shocks are problematic??? It only happened one time, but after reading yours, once is enough of a trend for me.... I may do some research on Carefree full-wall awnings and see what I can learn about this...

I had another issue that I wrote about in a separate thread. The factory installed my over-the-door awning mounting bracket upside down. This was a build issue...I found this only because of a defective awning motor (Carefree, who's awesome, sent me the motor and I replaced it myself). I provided a ton of detail in the other thread.

Anyway, I hope yours gets sorted quickly, and I'm sure it will, but hoping it doesn't take long...These are good coaches, so hang in there.

Take care,
Ed
Old 11-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #14

Just got back from a 2 day trip and i have decided there ate to many electrical issues going on to leave for a 4 week trip i had planned. This thing is 6 months old now and been in service 3 times
Nothing has been fixed . I think i am ready to talk to an attorney and pursue lemon law.
This thing is of no value if i can not use it nor is it marketable. Feel i am left without a choice.
Bullet370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem