Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
'00 Dynasty - Entry Door Hard to Open

Has anyone dealt with an entry door handle that takes a lot of effort to pull to get the door to open? Both the inside and outside handles take a great deal of effort and I am concerned that over time one of those handles will break from the stress... and then what do I do? I started to try removing the interior access panel but immediately got concerned when I removed the bolts for the deadbolt that something may drop inside the door and cause me even more grief. Anyone have experience with this type of problem or suggestions for taking the door apart?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Ours is like that, too. And I, too, have tried doing surgery, and have backed off for the same reason you did. On ours, if we close the door normally, it isn't too bad. In those instances, I believe that only one of the two pins are engaging fully in the latching device. If the door is closed hard, and both latches engage fully, my wife can't open the door.

I, too, would love to hear if anyone has a proven solution to the problem. I've also tried adjusting the pins on the door jamb, with no success. And lubrication doesn't seem to do anything to help.

And that's a cool picture of your Jeep, on your sidebar.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I think Monaco built their own doors starting in 2000. Prior to that they had PTL doors. The attached PDF is for adjusting the Monaco door and not the PTL.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adjusting entrance door.pdf (336.6 KB, 1716 views)

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I think Monaco built their own doors starting in 2000. Prior to that they had PTL doors. The attached PDF is for adjusting the Monaco door and not the PTL.
God bless the Internet! and you too Rex.

These instructions are precisely what I needed. Didn't want to start getting too deep into the unknown. I'm great at taking things apart, sometimes though it gets interesting when it's time to reassemble. This takes care of the unknown.

Since the latches always seem to engage and disengage fine, the door handle is just harder than heck to pull, it occurs to me that maybe its just a matter of realigning the striker pins. I think I'll give that a try before totally disassembling the door.

Thanks Rex for the great pdf!

Glenn
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Ours is like that, too. And I, too, have tried doing surgery, and have backed off for the same reason you did. On ours, if we close the door normally, it isn't too bad. In those instances, I believe that only one of the two pins are engaging fully in the latching device. If the door is closed hard, and both latches engage fully, my wife can't open the door.

I, too, would love to hear if anyone has a proven solution to the problem. I've also tried adjusting the pins on the door jamb, with no success. And lubrication doesn't seem to do anything to help.

And that's a cool picture of your Jeep, on your sidebar.
K7JV... check out the instructions that Rex just posted. This seems to detail perfectly the adjustment procedure to fix you problem.

The picture was taken in Moab, UT. Some of the finest 4-wheeling on Earth. Lots of great camping too; Arches Nat'l Park, Canyonlands Nat'l Park and a lot more. If you don't own a Jeep you can rent one in town or just go for a Jeep tour with someone else at the helm.

Glenn
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

That looks awesome, and I think it will address our problem, as well! The first nice warm day it is going to be attempted. Thank you, Glenn & Rex!

And the "Jeeping" looks like it would be a blast.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
How come I can't see the attachment? I need to adjust my door also.
Rex can you post the attached again. Please.
Thanks
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rex

I found the attachment on my computer full site thread. I printed it out.
Thank you for that information. It really helps.
Rick.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Another reason to join the Monaco group at Quartzite... We adjusted 10-12 doors durinr that week.
The only comment to the "adjustment PDF" is that we did not find it necessary to remove all the window screws. Leave those on the door hinge side. It's tight but enough room to work the adjustment nut.
BE SURE and have someone inside the MH "just in case"
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door