Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #1

So we have put 57,000 miles on our dip and still love it. It seems she "float's" around a lot if anything passes us. If the wind is gusting from the side shes a handful.

My question is/are: Are the listed ride heights for the bags the best settings?
Prolly time for new shocks what would ya get?
Stock size tires are 255/75/22.5's would you go with 265/70/s or 265/75's? She needs new tires.
How long should my air system hold air. After a week she's down to 40 psi.

We're planning a summer trip to Alaska and want to get the ride dialed in.

Thanks in advance
Jim & Bonnie in Colorado
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim.....The ride height is not something that should be changed from it's original specifications. I would add the Koni FSD's which will improve the smoothness and handling....pricey...$1200.00 plus labor.

I would also not mess with the tires. The size is engineered to match your rear end ratio. New tires may also smooth out the ride even more.

Finally, after you install the shocks and tires, have it aligned and the ride height adjusted. It should ride like a new coach....even better.

Your air leakage doesn't sound excessive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #3

Don thanks for your input. It's not so much road smoothness. She rides like surfing a fat person down a rough river. Shocks would help that much ya think?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have read many comments on the ride quality, ride height, shocks, etc. I guess if you don't know what good is, you don't know if your ride is bad. Previously we had a 1998 Newmar Mountainaire and it seemed fine, we purchased a 2005 Safari 38 PDQ which has the RR4R suspension with factory available suspension upgrade of the bigger bags, air tank, air lines, sway bar and adjustable Koni shocks. It does porpoise a little over large bumps and railroad tracks but nothing severe. It tracks a straight line much better than the Newmar and it has a 24 inch shorter wheelbase.

It seems to me that any motorhome would have to handle pretty poorly for someone to notice more than the difference between the typical family car and a 40 foot house on wheels. Am I missing something or am I looking at it from the wrong way? Maybe I would notice more if I drove a motorhome that was significantly worse or better than the two I have driven.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, by all means change the shocks. If yours are original, they have been worn out for at least 20,000 miles. I know it is painful price wise, but put Koni shocks on your coach all around. That will be the best handling improvement you can make.

Next get a chassis alignment by a company that knows how to do it and have them check and set the ride height. If you can, take it to Josam in Orlando. They are the very best and it is worth the trip to go there.

Josam Truck Frame & Alignment
8849 Exchange Dr
Orlando, Fl
407-438-7020

I also have a 01 Diplomat, a 40’ PDQ that came with the 255 tires. I put 275/70s on it and am very satisfied with them. The 255 is marginal for the weight of a Diplomat. I put Goodyear G670 all around but do not recommend them on the front as they don’t work well for a steering tire and have unusual wear in that position. If you increase to the 275/70s your speedometer will be off about 2-3 miles per hour. You will be going faster than it will show. You can recalibrate the speedometer by changing the dip switches on the back if it is a problem for you. The instruments in the 01 Diplomat are made by Beede in New England. I just changed out my dash and downloaded the manual on the speedometer so I can change the switches.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #6

Is there a siff. model of Koni's to get? Rex did your stock plastic dash panel crack @ all the screw holes?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jim here is the procedure that I used on a 99
and it not that hard to check.
Dip Ride Height 99 dip

Note in 2006 Monaco changed to measuring the distance from the bottom of the top plate of the air bags to the top of the bottom plate.

The old procedure is easier for me because of the double donut type air bags.

using 1/2" wood dial cut at 8" and 10" and coach level with safety stands and chaise aired up. adjust front with the 8" wood dial from top of H frame (this measurement is to be taken at the back of the H frame that goes from one side to the other) to bottom of the frame of the coach by adjusting the ride height valve in the middle and over the front axle with a long rod attached to front axle.
On the back use the 10" rods to adj the two ride height valves as with the front.

If the measurement is off, loosen the adjusting lock nut at the eccentric slot on the valve. Take a 7/16 wrench and 7/64 twist drill bit and crawl under the front of your coach. Locate the front jack. Just forward of the front jack, you should be able to sit up. You will see a narrow, vertical shaft. That shaft connects to a metal plate fastened to a short tubular piece of plastic. There is an elongated slot in the metal plate with a nut sticking out. Loosen the nut Move the plastic arm (tube) up to raise suspension height, this will inflate all the front air bags. Move the plastic arm (tube) down to lower suspension height, this will deflate the air bags. Make adjustments in small increments. When satisfied insert the drill bit in the plastic arm and valve body, the bit is there to hold the arm while tighten the 7/16 nut to 60 to 80 inch lb. After you finish blow down and start the engine and re air and check the height again adjust if necessary.

Call Monaco for the spec for your coach but I think they are 8 1/2 front and 10 1/2 rear for the 01 dip, I would stick to the 8 and 10 as you dont want to get over 6 deg angle on the rear drive shaft.

Walt
2000 dyn
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Garranch, you need to call Kino to see what part number fits your coach. Mine are not the adjustable shocks, but sure did improve the ride. Mine are gold in color and I have seen red Kinos which I think are the adjustable ones but not sure.

Yes the dash cracked around the screw holes and at several other places. Also the same for the side panel. I know where you can get a replacement for either for a 2001 or 2003 Diplomat. If you need that info let me know rbdtanai @ Yahoo.com (remove the extra spaces) and I will send it to you. Need to know what month your coach was built. In 2001 two different panels were used, one before 9-10-2000 and another after that date.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have the red kinos they are the old type and are the adjustable, the new type are not. Everyone that I know that has tried them thought the ride was better including me.

Walt
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #10

Thank all for your input. As soon as the weather is nice I'm going to check the ride height and put some new Koni's on her.

I'am interested in the slightly taller tires for both ride and and taller gearing. Driving 70 mph the tach reads 1900 rpm. I'd like to lower the rpm's at that speed at least 100rpm's, 200 if possible (without over gearing her).

We're planning on an Alaska trip this summer (6,000 miles) so we want to get everything dialed in before we go.

Rex. I was thinking I might make a new dash panel out of aluminum (with brushed satin finish) Wouldn't a new plastic one crack just like the old one?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Garranch, I thought about the aluminum for my dash, and yes it would be better than the plastic. The plastic will crack again in several years.

One thing you need to be aware of is that there are lots of studs on the back of the dash for items to be mounted on. It would be difficult to align them correctly on an aluminum dash. The plastic is about 3/16 thick and is routed on the back side to reduce the thickness for mounting the ignition switch and some other items.

You could make a dash out of wood, put the studs through it, route the back as needed, and then veneer the front. That would work very well.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #12

Rex can you send me the information about a replacement dash? I have a 2002 and it appears to have the same layout as the 2001 and 2003. I tried to send an email to your yahoo address but it was rejected. If you have the info please send and email to tomgagne@comcast.net.

fyi I replaced the stock shocks in my 2002 with Koni's, and the ride improvement was very noticable
Tom Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I find my ride height needs adjustment after six months. I've put a lot of time and money into improving the handling and ride of my coach, including new Koni FSDs, alignments, safe-t-plus, etc. The Koni's made the most improvement by and large -- an excellent investment!

Make sure you do the ride height first and then the alignment.

As for specs... I called Monaco once and e-mailed them another time... both times I was provided the same specs which are significantly different than the ones in the original owner's manual (by 1.5-2" if I recall correctly.) The specs they provided me, quite honestly, made it handle horribly and made it look like it had a lift kit. I went back to the specs listed in the manual. I think they have something off in their system and personally, I trust the engineers who designed and provided the specs for the manual more than the "tech" on the phone. Just my opinion - I would go off the manual and if those specs were proven to be wrong, there would be a manual addendum.

You'll be very pleased with the improvement the Koni's will make. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #14

Jim and Bonnie in Colorado: I would also recommend the FSD Koni shocks. I put a set of them on my Windsor, tremendous difference. Michelin makes an XZA-2 Energy Tire in a 275 70R 22.5. It is J rated. It is a very good tire. I bought a set and so did my friend. Make sure you check the DOT on the tires. They should not be more than 4 to 5 months old. If they are, send them back. This is very important as you could get a set of old tires. Make them put the DOT numbers on the invoice. Hope this helps. Good luck. Jim Wehren
jameswehren is offline   Reply With Quote