Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #1

02 Executive Coating Toad with Hydraulic fluid

Our 2002 Executive has started to coat a our tow car with a fine film of hydraulic fluid after being driven more than 50 miles.
We had fluid changed along with filter within the previous 1500 miles.
No obvious leaks. The bypass indicator on the filter housing is showing the system is byoassing.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Jeffterl
jeffterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem. It was caused by two different issues.
First, there are two small hoses going to the hydraulic pump drive. These had rubbed through and were spraying a small amount of hydraulic fluid.
I had new hoses made at NAPA to replace the originals.
This is a link to the post with a few pictures.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hyd...ak-392280.html

The second issue was the hydraulic pump is lubricated with transmission fluid and it was allowing ATF to pass into the hydraulic system. It would then overfill the hydraulic reservoir and vent out the back. Several other Monaco owners have had this issue and they recommend new seals for the hydraulic pump. I removed the hydraulic pump and installed new seals.
Installing the new seals was easy but loosening those large hydraulic hoses was a real bear. I had to purchase a large wrench set and use a big hammer on the wrench to break the B nuts loose.
Link to a thread on rebuilding the hydraulic pump.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sau...-444138-4.html

Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I had the same problem. It was caused by two different issues.
First, there are two small hoses going to the hydraulic pump drive. These had rubbed through and were spraying a small amount of hydraulic fluid.
I had new hoses made at NAPA to replace the originals.
This is a link to the post with a few pictures.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hyd...ak-392280.html

The second issue was the hydraulic pump is lubricated with transmission fluid and it was allowing ATF to pass into the hydraulic system. It would then overfill the hydraulic reservoir and vent out the back. Several other Monaco owners have had this issue and they recommend new seals for the hydraulic pump. I removed the hydraulic pump and installed new seals.
Installing the new seals was easy but loosening those large hydraulic hoses was a real bear. I had to purchase a large wrench set and use a big hammer on the wrench to break the B nuts loose.
Link to a thread on rebuilding the hydraulic pump.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sau...-444138-4.html

Hope this helps.
So, our motor on the fan was replaced 14 months ago along with the hoses. There is no visible leaks on the hoses or motor. The tank on the right side does show some signs of over flowing.
Could the system pressure be over filling the tank on return?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #4

Sounds like an internal leak from the PTO to the hydraulic pump, many posts on here about that and failure of the hydraulic pump. Just like Vito says.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #5

hydraulic oil leak

I also had that issue some time ago, and it was the hydraulic fill cap was loose after I had checked the oil level.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

That could be it. Where is that PTO/ Pump located on the ISM Engine?
I appreciate the insight.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem. I had a leak fixed and the mechanic didn't tighten the small lines on the hydraulic pump as he should have. Was a pain to find because the fan blows it everywhere.

Tim
Old 10-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #8

Angry 02 Executive Hydraulic Fan problem

Appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I've checked for leaks--None.
Seems like the overflow vent on the reservoir is one potential point of leaking.

Discovered that the Rear most hydraulic fan is blowing cooling air out of the engine compartment. The forward hydraulic fan sucks air into the radiators properly.

Question:

Could the hydraulic motor have been plumbed backwards causing improper rotation of the fan? ( I checked the orientation of the fan is correct.)

Would it be possible to turn the fan around to bring air flow into the radiators?

Tags
fluid, hydraulic, toad