RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
'02 Monaco Windsor rear cap: New wire routing?

Hello everyone!

I am going to be adding a 2nd rear camera up at the center marker light area. Looking up from the engine compartment there doesn't seem to be "easy access" for new wires to be run. There's a plywood barrier above the engine all the way back to the cap. Possibly the floor of the closet?

Is there open space between the rear of the closet and the cap? Filled with insulation most likely....

Has anyone experience in finding the best route? My plan is to run front to back along the frame but going up inside the cap to the marker light area isn't as straight forward as I had hoped....

Thanks for the advice

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210125_110040.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	315727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210125_110000.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	315728  

Name:	20210125_111331.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	315729  
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Hello everyone!

I am going to be adding a 2nd rear camera up at the center marker light area. Looking up from the engine compartment there doesn't seem to be "easy access" for new wires to be run. There's a plywood barrier above the engine all the way back to the cap. Possibly the floor of the closet?

Is there open space between the rear of the closet and the cap? Filled with insulation most likely....

Has anyone experience in finding the best route? My plan is to run front to back along the frame but going up inside the cap to the marker light area isn't as straight forward as I had hoped....

Thanks for the advice

Glenn
in your picture, the plywood that the light is mounted to is the floor to a big hollow 'void' behind the rear cap. My wire that feeds the camera has about 10' of slack and is laying on top of that plywood. Double check, but I don't think it's the floor to the closet. My closet floor is a good 18-20" lower than that plywood..

I've thought about how to fish a new wiring through and I think the best way would be to take the old camera out leaving a larger hole, then drill a hole in the plywood floor (from the engine side) and use a fish tape and run it up that new hole and wiggle it around until you can grab the fish tape from the upper camera hole.

I haven't done it yet, but I don't think it would be too difficult. Best with 2 people, however.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
in your picture, the plywood that the light is mounted to is the floor to a big hollow 'void' behind the rear cap. My wire that feeds the camera has about 10' of slack and is laying on top of that plywood. Double check, but I don't think it's the floor to the closet. My closet floor is a good 18-20" lower than that plywood..

I've thought about how to fish a new wiring through and I think the best way would be to take the old camera out leaving a larger hole, then drill a hole in the plywood floor (from the engine side) and use a fish tape and run it up that new hole and wiggle it around until you can grab the fish tape from the upper camera hole.

I haven't done it yet, but I don't think it would be too difficult. Best with 2 people, however.
Thanks for that info! Maybe that slack cable was for hooking up the camera connections from the ground level before mounting? Certainly would make setting up a new replacement camera easier!

Hoping there isn't any "baffles" between that plywood and the camera. Wondering about how much distance there is between the back wall of the closet and the rear cap. Guess looking in thru the camera area will revel further info.

Found these for fishing the cable once I decide where to drill. A little stiffer than fish tape but we'll see. Spring time project....

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...ugg_q=wire+rod

Thank you!
Glenn

Old 01-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

I have not done this myself but I've read of using the A/C duct to run the wire front to
back.

A hole can be punched through the styrofoam ends both front and rear.

Don't know for sure but it might be easier. Not much to lose by trying.

A coat hanger straightened out with a hook on one end and you can probably
fish the wire through the camera hole.
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for that info! Maybe that slack cable was for hooking up the camera connections from the ground level before mounting? Certainly would make setting up a new replacement camera easier!

Hoping there isn't any "baffles" between that plywood and the camera. Wondering about how much distance there is between the back wall of the closet and the rear cap. Guess looking in thru the camera area will revel further info.

Found these for fishing the cable once I decide where to drill. A little stiffer than fish tape but we'll see. Spring time project....

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...ugg_q=wire+rod

Thank you!
Glenn

those rods you linked are exactly what you need.

I pulled out my camera while I was trouble shooting an issue, and there is about 5' or so (can't remember exactly) of cable before you get to the first connector. It so you can pull the camera out and set it on a ladder or scaffold. Don't know how wide the space is, but would be easy to measure.

I don't think there are any baffles. I can here the metal cable connection hit the plywood floor when I put the cable back in, so I know it's going all the way down.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I cut an opening in the back of the closet and put a door there. You can get back in there if your not to big, lots of empty space .
Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 AM   #7

On a 2003 Monaco la Palma where might I find slideout controller ?
Rvguytrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
those rods you linked are exactly what you need.

I pulled out my camera while I was trouble shooting an issue, and there is about 5' or so (can't remember exactly) of cable before you get to the first connector. It so you can pull the camera out and set it on a ladder or scaffold. Don't know how wide the space is, but would be easy to measure.

I don't think there are any baffles. I can here the metal cable connection hit the plywood floor when I put the cable back in, so I know it's going all the way down.
Nice! Yes I was thinking that feeling the loose cable meant no other baffles.

We got 4 inches of rain last night so "in person" research will have to wait....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
I cut an opening in the back of the closet and put a door there. You can get back in there if your not to big, lots of empty space .
Wow! That much space.... Un-used. Sure would like to see a picture of that. Was there insulation back there?

Sounds like there would be 8 to 10 inches of depth. IS that shoulder or belly? LOL....

Thank You! That opens many possibilities beyond my wiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguytrainee View Post

Sorry I don't know but if you search for "2003 Monaco la Palma slideout controller" you should find your answer.

Otherwise start your own post for more accurate responses. (oops I see you did that already)

Here's a pic of one on a '02 Cayman in the rear bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide controler.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	315910  
Old 01-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On my Knight there was probably 18 inches of depth I am 6'1 180 lbs and I got back in there. Not alot of insulation but it is where all the wiring comes in and goes over head above the ceiling to the front of the coach. You can see all the wiring for camera and clearance lights. just have to watch when you cut opening for door the you dont cut wiring thats stung out back there. I just drilled a 21/4 inch hole and just started working my way bigger with jig saw feeling for wires as I went along.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguytrainee View Post
I sent you a PM.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
"Run That Wire"

I love this forum!

While searching for another topic I spotted this title which attracted my attention. Thank You nehog! :

"RR8x and RR10x - run that wire!" https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/rr8x-and-rr10x-run-that-wire-462536.html

Wanted to add it to my thread for those looking to do something similar. I wasn't expecting to find a protected way to route my new camera cable front to rear. This answers that question without having to crawl under and hoping to find the way....

Have a safe weekend!

Old 01-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I love this forum!

While searching for another topic I spotted this title which attracted my attention. Thank You nehog! :

"RR8x and RR10x - run that wire!" https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/rr8x-and-rr10x-run-that-wire-462536.html

Wanted to add it to my thread for those looking to do something similar. I wasn't expecting to find a protected way to route my new camera cable front to rear. This answers that question without having to crawl under and hoping to find the way....

Have a safe weekend!

did you find it on your coach? I don't have anything like that, but should would make things easier.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
did you find it on your coach? I don't have anything like that, but should would make things easier.
Yep, Nothings ever that easy.... Hopefully it will dry out tomorrow and I'll venture under and have a look. Before reading that thread I was expecting to follow the existing wiring along the rail; if that's where it is....

Tags
monaco, rear, wind