Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
03 Dynasty Center TV Console modifications

Previously I had replaced the center large CRT TV with a 32" LED/LCD but had left the original large cabinet. A few weeks ago I decided to cut down the size of the cabinet and make use of the space behind the LED/LCD.

Being a ham radio operator and also wanting a 12vdc computer to use for VMSpc, iTunes, GPS mapping, HDRadio, Tire Pressure monitoring and etc I also wanted to use the space behind the LCD to mount various pieces of equipment.

I have posted the photos as attachments to this post. I have also posted them to an album and have added more comments about each photo. Album is here: http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showga...3&ppuser=36803
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8557.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	18028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8558.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	18029  

Name:	DSC_8561.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	18031   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8569.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	18032  

Name:	DSC_8586.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	18034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8598.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	18035  

Name:	DSC_8602.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	18038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8611.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	18039  

Name:	DSC_8613.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	18040   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8606.jpg
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	18041  

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great looking work & functionality.

Please tell me about the ducting/tubing I see there. My DIP doesn't have any of that. Is the ducting strictly a defrost (type) function?....or is there hot-air removal as well?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ducting is defrosters...fresh air, no heat. I just did a 03 Panther last week, same cabinet cut but put a 32" Lg brand fit inside the box. No more head banging for the owner. 10 inches in and four inches higher.

Nice job Ron!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ron, Great carpentry work! What make/model of the 12vDC computer are you using?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome! Great job! I looked at modding my TV, but quickly realized "WoodWorking Skills" wasn't in my Job-Description or Resume.

A quick question - with all those components inside the cabinet, do you have enough ventilation?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
A quick question - with all those components inside the cabinet, do you have enough ventilation?
Thanks!

The radios do not generate much heat as they are in receive mode 99% of the time and the computer is designed to run in areas that may be hot. The fan moves a lot of air on high speed so I believe the ventilation will be fine, but summer isn't here yet! If I find that more cooling is needed I will put a small vent at the end of the air conditioning duct as it is just it ends just above the cabinet.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Ron, Great carpentry work! What make/model of the 12vDC computer are you using?
I built the computer from parts that I purchased from a online company... sorry I do not have their URL in this computer. However, http://www.mp3car.com also has all the items you need to build your own.

I started the computer project back in 2010 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/rvput...ter-68871.html) for a previous coach and moved it to our current coach back in June, then into the modified cabinet a few weeks ago. I still have lots of additions I want to make to the computer system but currently it is doing what I initially set out to do.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I built the computer from parts that I purchased from a online company... sorry I do not have their URL in this computer. However, http://www.mp3car.com also has all the items you need to build your own.

I started the computer project back in 2010 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/rvput...ter-68871.html) for a previous coach and moved it to our current coach back in June, then into the modified cabinet a few weeks ago. I still have lots of additions I want to make to the computer system but currently it is doing what I initially set out to do.
Attached a picture of my front TV mod done a few yrs ago. Wow since then I haven't hit my head once! (there... but still do on the outside edge of the slide).

When we're out in CA I always look at all the computer stuff in Fry Electronics... think about building a computer for the dash, then l lazily decide I'll stick with using laptops. I really miss the matte non-glare screens 'though, I had to put a filter on my Toshiba; it helps a bit. I'll check out MP3car website to see what they have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03Dyn-FrontTV.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	18179  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nice work. I was going to shorten up my overhead console but I am not a woodworker, metal yes, but not wood. I admire those that can work in wood. That looks awesome.

Here is a link to my recently converted television in our 2003 Dynasty.

Mike.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 32" LED/LCD in our Dynasty
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Nice work. I was going to shorten up my overhead console but I am not a woodworker, metal yes, but not wood. I admire those that can work in wood. That looks awesome.

Mike.

Mike, you did great! If you want the cabinet less "in the way" of the entry you might be able to remove it, get someone with the right woodworking tools to dissassemble it, cut it down, rebore the sides for cabinet screws and reassemble it so it doesn't stick out so far into the path. Hardly any depth is needed behind the LCD.

By the way, were you the person who reinforced the holes in your hitch receiver? I finally found a bushing that could be fitted to the enlarged holes in mine and had a welder weld them in for me. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Mike, you did great! If you want the cabinet less "in the way" of the entry you might be able to remove it, get someone with the right woodworking tools to dissassemble it, cut it down, rebore the sides for cabinet screws and reassemble it so it doesn't stick out so far into the path. Hardly any depth is needed behind the LCD.

By the way, were you the person who reinforced the holes in your hitch receiver? I finally found a bushing that could be fitted to the enlarged holes in mine and had a welder weld them in for me. Thanks for the idea.
The new flatscreen television actually doesn't stick out any further than the old CRT TV that I removed so it is not really in the way but it would be nice to have a shorter cabinet. I did find a great guy here locally that just cut me a couple of pieces of walnut for the trim above and below the front and bedroom TVs. The guy even dug through his scraps and remnants to find some with very similar grains. They match great, I sanded and cleared them last night.

As far as the hitch goes, yes, that was me. I am glad it worked out for you. I have not been on here much over the past months but I feel like I will be on here more as there seems to be too much negativity and whining about everything under the sun over on that other site.

I am glad you were able to get the hitch repaired and I was able to give you some information. I did three of those repairs last summer alone for people.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, you LCD Installation looks great. I am not much of a wood worker either but having a dad that made cabinets for years gave me a little experience. It wasn't all that hard, just time consuming.

Ron... Your cabinet modification is almost the same as mine, except I took off a few more inches and made use of the inside of the cabinet! I found the website I purchased all my RVPuter parts from.. Mobile Computing Solutions - Innovations in Mini ITX They also have pre-built 12vdc computers but I like to select my own components!

I will be updating my orginal RVPuter thread soon.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post

Mike.

Mike, you did a fantastic job! That's some beautiful welding!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great job you did there. You open to any side work?
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote