RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

03 monaco windsor blown power steering line

Backing into site had wheel cranked then steering went stiff. They say massive pool of fluid under rear axel. Line seems of blown right above the rear axel but so many hoses hard to tell where leak is. Do I need to replace entire line? Is there some module above real I should look at. Is there a drawing for the entire system

dobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There are a couple of lines. But coaches vary - typically one goes from hyd reservoir to filter housing to inlet side of pump. This is the low pressure side. From pump to power steering hyd fan (if you have a hyd engine cooling fan) is the high pressure side (smaller size hose).

You only need to replace whatever is blown/leaking, but be sure to check the others to be sure they are not as bad (ready to blow).

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Hi Dobrien; I have an 01 Windsor. Just like CountryB mentioned, the high pressure hose usually goes right off the hyd. pump on the engine and heads up to the power steering box at the front of the coach. When the fluid sprays out from a break at high pressure, it could look like it came from who knows where. Your best bet is to first see if you can locate where the line broke. Next is to locate a hydraulic hose place of business. They should be able to fix you up with what you need for, hopefully an on site repair. Worked around an steel coil leveling line that had hydraulic lines, flexible, that would spring leaks all the time. Take off line and down to the hyd. hose store to have a new one made. Hope there is a store/shop close to you that you can contact. Good luck with your repairs. They should be able to make you something to splice into the line to get you going. I don't know where you would get a drawing of the hyd. system nowadays as Monaco is no help anymore on the older coaches. You could try putting in a search for any info you need for your system at the top right of this page. Other owners here have posted their experience's with broken hyd. lines. Should be something there to read.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #4

The hose may come from the pump and go to the steering box, maybe 30 feet long.
If you find the break in the hose was from rubbing the rear differential, and not old age, you may be able to have it spliced.

They make field servecable fittings that can be installed to replace the bad part.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The hose may come from the pump and go to the steering box, maybe 30 feet long.
If you find the break in the hose was from rubbing the rear differential, and not old age, you may be able to have it spliced.

They make field servecable fittings that can be installed to replace the bad part.
I know this is an old thread, but: one of my favorite tools ever, the ClampTite, can be used to fix high-pressure hoses assuming you have the appropriate-sized mender (male-to-male insert.) I don't want to sound like a commercial ad here, but I've used it to secure a 2200psi air line before... and it was still holding tight, no leaks, 7+ years down the road. Definitely worth carrying in your toolkit, along with some soft stainless wire.

(No connection with the company; I just happen to love their product.)
oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, power, steering