RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

'04 Diplomat - Inflating Airbags to Tow if Engine Won't Start

I need to have my rig towed, but the air bags are completely deflated and the engine will not start. Curious which air connection to use to air up the bags using an external compressor. Would it be the same connector where you turn the valve to bleed air/moisture from the air tanks?

tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

On my 04 Dynasty, I only have one air tap - a female quick connect. However, while replacing the 12-volt auxiliary compressor, I learned that the auxiliary compressor is not supposed to feed the main air tank. It is some kind of fluke, but when air pressure is applied to that line, and it is roughly equal to the air pressure in the tank, then air will breach the check valve and fill the tank.

My auxiliary 12-volt auxiliary air compressor is positioned directly between the driver's seat and passenger seat, bolted to a bracket hanging from the frame. They use push-to-lock air fittings, so it is easy to remove the 3/8" tubing from the aux air compressor. You could easily attached an air hose to this tubing and, while slowly increasing the pressure, you will actually hear the check valve chattering. At that point you know air is going into the air tank

Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #3

Hi Tkcas01; You should have a fitting in the generator compartment that has an air chuck male fitting attached. This is what the tow truck will connect to fill your air tanks and be able to release your spring brake. If you have the owners manual, it should be identified in the chassis section of the manual. I have an 01 Windsor that I have hooked to my portable shop compressor to fill the air tanks that internes fills the air bags. My water drains are on the bottom of my air tanks. Your might have both fittings in the generator bay, one for drains that have the valve and the other for filling the tanks. The one for filling the tanks has a one way valve in the line or on the tank so air will only go into the tank. Sorry you need a tow. A professional driver will know what line to hook up to so your tanks can be charged with air. Hope this answers your question. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
I need to have my rig towed, but the air bags are completely deflated and the engine will not start. Curious which air connection to use to air up the bags using an external compressor. Would it be the same connector where you turn the valve to bleed air/moisture from the air tanks?
Yes. The wet tank.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #5

My dynasty has air brakes. If it has to be towed the tow vehicle must supply air or the parking brake wlii stay engaged. So my air connection is right up front inside the generator slide out. Upper right.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

I wish my rig had this fitting in the generator compartment that many people talk about. What's in my generator compartment (and also in the engine compartment) is only a bleeder valve. It has no means of attaching a fitting at all...
Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I wish my rig had this fitting in the generator compartment that many people talk about. What's in my generator compartment (and also in the engine compartment) is only a bleeder valve. It has no means of attaching a fitting at all...
I'm sure it does ..... somewhere !
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

I've been looking for years! I called the factory and they believe that the wrong valves were put on the lines extending into the generator compartment and the engine compartment. The only available connector is a female Quick Connect at the very front of the diesel compartment driver side.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Tkcas01; You should have a fitting in the generator compartment that has an air chuck male fitting attached. This is what the tow truck will connect to fill your air tanks and be able to release your spring brake. If you have the owners manual, it should be identified in the chassis section of the manual. I have an 01 Windsor that I have hooked to my portable shop compressor to fill the air tanks that internes fills the air bags. My water drains are on the bottom of my air tanks. Your might have both fittings in the generator bay, one for drains that have the valve and the other for filling the tanks. The one for filling the tanks has a one way valve in the line or on the tank so air will only go into the tank. Sorry you need a tow. A professional driver will know what line to hook up to so your tanks can be charged with air. Hope this answers your question. Good luck!
I don't know that my tanks are empty, but I know the air bags are since I deflated them last time I leveled. I totally forgot about the spring brake being an issue. The tow company should know the drill, but I wanted to be able to advise on what connection to use.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Hi again Tkcas01; Just a guess here. I very seldom have to level and when I do I don't dump the air bags. We do know that when the air bags are dumped, that procedure does not empty the tanks, so, when you turn the ing. on will that signal the air suspension to use the air in the tanks? I have not tried any of this. I know someone out there has way more knowledge on this procedure. Just kicking around some ideas. Also, section 10, page 361 tells all about draining the air tanks and charging the air tanks in the on line owners manual. Should answer some of your questions.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #11

Hi Flyin4Fun; Section 10, page 410 starts the explanation on your Dynasty chassis for draining and charging your air tanks. I realize that just because the info is in the on line manual doesn't mean they built your chassis that way. The compressor for the air leveling, as I understand it, only should charge the air bags and not the tanks. Sounds like a valve is not functioning correctly. Above description is how the HWH air leveling system worked in my previous 2000 Windsor. Let us know what you find if what is in the manual is not correct. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
On my 04 Dynasty, I only have one air tap - a female quick connect. However, while replacing the 12-volt auxiliary compressor, I learned that the auxiliary compressor is not supposed to feed the main air tank. It is some kind of fluke, but when air pressure is applied to that line, and it is roughly equal to the air pressure in the tank, then air will breach the check valve and fill the tank.

My auxiliary 12-volt auxiliary air compressor is positioned directly between the driver's seat and passenger seat, bolted to a bracket hanging from the frame. They use push-to-lock air fittings, so it is easy to remove the 3/8" tubing from the aux air compressor. You could easily attached an air hose to this tubing and, while slowly increasing the pressure, you will actually hear the check valve chattering. At that point you know air is going into the air tank
Have a close look the Gen compartment on the driver side hid back under-the frame area , the one in the propane tank area is used for airing up tires or whatever
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #13

I will do that.
And yes, the quick connect in the propane / diesel compartment is supplied via the wet tank (not air-brake system) from the drivetrain air compressor.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
tkcas01,

We have a 2006 Diplomat and they could be close. The connection for the tow truck is on the passenger side of the generator compartment about midway up close to the generator. Here is a photo of our connections. The one on the top with the orange air line plugged in is the one for the tow truck. The one below has a female connection and is where you would connect an air line if you need to inflate your tires using the coach compressor.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air connections reduced.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	181731  

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, engine, tow