Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
05 HR Endeavor Charging issue

We have a 36skt Endeavor that we just purchased used, and are getting to know the various systems.

After plugging in the coach, I started the charger and was checking the output at the management panel. When charging, I was seeing 14.4 vDC going to the chassis batteries, and 12.4 at the coach batteries; shown on the digital voltage display.

I went to the battery compartment to confirm the charging and found my 14.4 vDC going to the house batteries, not the chassis. And the chassis batteries were showing 12.4 vDC, not the house batteries like it was displaying on the inside panel. Hmmm...

I have 2 questions now:

1) Is something wired backwards in my coach so the battery voltage switch at the management panel marked "chassis" and "house" is not displaying correctly?

2) Does the charger/inverter throw a charge at the chassis batteries at all?

Since the chassis batteries are mounted next to the house cells, maybe I was just assuming that the charging system would handle them both.

I'm interested to hear what you all think!

• 2005 HR Endeavor 36 SKT
EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi EvenSteven,

Depends on the make of the inverter charger, but in our 97 Fleetwood, then our 03 Cayman and now our 07 Cayman (the fleetwood had a simple Chase batter charger and the latter have Magnum inverter chargers) neither charged the Chassis Batteirs. I built s smple cross connect with protection that trickels the chassis from the house to keep them uptodate.

Not what you wanted to here I guess, but hope it helps?
UK_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If your coach has a Echo Charger installed then the Chassis Battery/s will be kept charged via the coach batteries. The Echo Charger xross-connects when the coach is plugged in and the Inverter/Charger is charging the coach batteries. The Echo Charger will not drain the coach batteries and will maintain the overall battery bank/s properly. Some Monaco's had this Echo Charger installed as an option, and some didn't. I guess it just depended on the build. If you don't have one then you could order one from and install it yourself.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
EvenSteven....We have the same coach and your inverter charger DOES NOT charge your chassis batteries. There is a simple fix. You need to install ONE of the three items below. They all do the same thing, but I personally like the Echo Charger best.

http://http://www.solar-electric.com/echo-charger.html

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

ME-SBC Smart Battery Combiner
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don & EvenSteven,
The Trick-L-Start looks very much functional wise to the unit I built, imine basically steels 1 amp max charge from the house batteries even when off mains, and keeps the chassis batteries topped up, has rev polarity protection and over load protection, the only difference is when I first connected as per the drawing on their web site and immediately encountered over load issues when starting the coach, so I have not reconnected to either side of the main solenoid that shunts both battery banks together for emergency starting - same charging result but reduces pull on engine start up.
Would very highly recommend such an addition to EvenSteven – and as for the other questions he has, no it’s not wired wrong way around but sounds more like a labelling issue.
UK_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
EvenSteven.....I forgot about replying to the wall meter being wrong. If it's the little glass meter (window ) on the control panel with the rocker switch you push to test, just pull the panel off and reverse the wires on the meter.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I'll look around for something to address the chassis charging issue. It looks like there are plenty of options.

Until we replace the chassis batteries, I'll have to keep an eye on them. At the moment, they only seem to be holding a 12.4v charge. While that should be plenty to start the engine, I believe that shows an aging battery. We're plannning on replacing them with a couple of Lifeline units soon. We have a pair in our Lance, and they've held up well.

As for my digital voltmeter, would it be possible that the "chassis" and "house" labels were applied in the wrong positions? I wouldn't think it would be a problem to swap the wires on the back of the switch to get it to read correctly??

Thanks again for the help!

Steve

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I must have been typing my response when your additional comment posted regarding my digital voltage display, D.Don!

I'll swap the wires and should be good to go!

I need to search the forum archives for your posts, Diplomat Don. We've already run across a number of great ideas and helpful information that you've shared with this forum.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Steve.....Once you change out batteries, especially if you go with Liflines, call Magnum Inverters and let them tell you what you need to set the inverter at in the hallway.

Not to many coaches like ours. I've done a million things to ours and some are specific to issues with our model. PM me if you ever have questions and I'll send you my phone number.

On of the things that always aggravated me was that the brochure said there should have been a water pump switch in the kitchen....there wasn't, so I added one. I'll really be mad if yours has one.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Don,

Thanks for the heads-up on the inverter settings. I talked to Lifeline about this, and they said they would provide the specs to adjust my charger settings; but I think contacting Magnum is probably a good idea too.

Funny you should mention that kitchen WP switch. My wife and I were discussing that one over the weekend. We don't have one either. I'm a graphic designer, though, and I can understand how brochures get written and produced with one or two minor errors in specifications <loud cough>.

Thanks for the offer of personal contact. I'll shoot you a message this week. I've only got a million or two questions about this coach; and while I enjoy discovering answers for myself, it's nice to know someone who's probably been down that road before.

Our 10 year old daughter wanted dearly to "camp out" in the new rig; so we leveled it next to the driveway and enjoyed our first night inside on Saturday. I have to say, this is a very comfortable coach to drive and sleep in. So far, we're very pleased with our purchase.

Have a great week!

Steve