Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
06 Dynasty Leaking Radiator

Has anyone replaced their TransPro X6925-51 with something different? All aluminum? All brass? The stock one is plastic tanks and aluminum core. It is out, 3 1/2 hours at Alliance Coach Wildwood, FL and heading for a rad shop in the morning to be tanked, checked if repairable.

I have Googled/searched the number to death for a cross or whatever to no avail. Good news it was not one of the Monaco custom parts, but what else it fits I haven't a clue.

58K miles and it just started spewing while stopped for fuel. no overheat, place to park, great FMCA tow to Wildwood.

Great breakfast buffet next door at the Speckeled Butterbean
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Have you tried to call the Jim at Source Engineering for a consult. I believe that his company also does cooling systems on Monaco coaches.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
FOLLOWUP...don't you hate when folks never resolve these things?

Alliance Coach...big thanks to to Brett, Bill Harvey, Brian Smith (Tech) for their hard work. Denise for being so cheerful!

Ten hours labor to remove and replace the radiator. Brian worked outside which allowed us to stay in the coach (FT where else would we stay). It was a big job, I do most all my own work, a lot of this was four hands. They allowed me to take the radiator out for repair. Cedric, at Becks Radiator in Brooksville, FL in business since 1958, real old time radiator shop. "No problem"....one day and $125 later we were ready to re install.

BAD NEWS... the radiator is a Monaco only piece, made by TransFlo, no longer in production, (this from the factory) spares increasingly expensive and hard to find, if at all. The rad is almost Frieghtliner, but just enough that a FL will not fit the frame.

Plan ahead, be proactive on this issue. You may not be by a good shop to R&R, or even harder to find a real radiator guy anymore. You could be hung up for a very extended period of time.

Mine now has 1/8' hardware wire screen protection in the outside grill and the back of the fan shroud as well. Whatever little piece of road debris was kicked up into the inside of the rad bounced off a fan blade and holed the radiator from the inside! Freakish in over 400k miles of RV travel...but could have beeen a lot more trouble at other times and places.

IF you've been thinking screen protection as I was in the past... do it!! This little adventure cost about four days and $1500. It could have been a LOT worse. The hardware wire was $20...duhhh!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

I too have had a bad radiator experience with my 03 Zanzibar. It developed several leaks at the tube to tank joints. . The radiator is all aluminum, tubes bonded to the tanks by epoxy, the cheapest way of fabricating an all aluminum radiator. Unfortunately, this type of construction is NOT repairable. The manufacturer indicated that they were replacing failed tanks with copper tube/steel tank radiators, but had none in stock and would be several weeks before any would be manufactured. I had one fabricated locally, almost $4K including removal/installation labor, The cost of the radiator was only slightly more than from the manufacturer.

Rod
03 32' Zanzibar
ejagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
FOLLOWUP...don't you hate when folks never resolve these things?

Alliance Coach...big thanks to to Brett, Bill Harvey, Brian Smith (Tech) for their hard work. Denise for being so cheerful!

Ten hours labor to remove and replace the radiator. Brian worked outside which allowed us to stay in the coach (FT where else would we stay). It was a big job, I do most all my own work, a lot of this was four hands. They allowed me to take the radiator out for repair. Cedric, at Becks Radiator in Brooksville, FL in business since 1958, real old time radiator shop. "No problem"....one day and $125 later we were ready to re install.

BAD NEWS... the radiator is a Monaco only piece, made by TransFlo, no longer in production, (this from the factory) spares increasingly expensive and hard to find, if at all. The rad is almost Frieghtliner, but just enough that a FL will not fit the frame.

Plan ahead, be proactive on this issue. You may not be by a good shop to R&R, or even harder to find a real radiator guy anymore. You could be hung up for a very extended period of time.

Mine now has 1/8' hardware wire screen protection in the outside grill and the back of the fan shroud as well. Whatever little piece of road debris was kicked up into the inside of the rad bounced off a fan blade and holed the radiator from the inside! Freakish in over 400k miles of RV travel...but could have beeen a lot more trouble at other times and places.

IF you've been thinking screen protection as I was in the past... do it!! This little adventure cost about four days and $1500. It could have been a LOT worse. The hardware wire was $20...duhhh!
Twomed,
Since you have verification that a piece of road debris was thrown up from the roadway (possibly by the vehicle in front of you), could you not contact your insurance carrier to determine if they would help with your expenses?
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote