Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

06 Executive-half the rope lights working

I have an '06 Monaco executive and only about half the rope lights work. With each rope light section every light in that section works fine so you'll have a rope come out from inside the roof mirror area and around the trim and all of that works then you'll have one on the other side of the trim mirror area and none of those work where it comes out. So I can see where it comes out from inside the ceiling somewhere and then all the way around and there's an end. And every one of those scenarios all of those lights work. The bedroom has an inside band on the lower section and then upper section with a band. Obviously the ceiling area in the bedroom is smaller so the entire lower section works but the entire upper section which is one light does not work. In the living room it's three times as large so you have one half where it comes out of the ceiling and that whole half works where it ends then it comes out another part of the ceiling to the other half and it does not work.

Not sure what's going on but one switch controls the bedroom and another switch controls the living room. This would indicate to me there's no fuse problem because there's one switch for the bedroom and another switch for the living room yet half the bedroom doesn't work and half the living room does not.

I am interested in knowing from people who have torn this apart or replaced them how this thing is wired and where it's wired from. They seem pretty tight in there I tried to pull them on them and I suspect if I pulled real hard I could pull it out and then eventually have it in my hand and have it go into the ceiling but then how is it wired from there? Also not sure how new lighting would go in its place. Would it fit exactly or are you needing to silicone little sections so they stay in or does it fit perfectly I can't imagine the new rope light would be the exact same size unless it was the same brand or at least tight meaning LED or incandescent. But I don't want to go ripping this out and then have it laying all over coming out of the ceiling and I don't know where it hooks up. So does anybody know like does it hook up if you pull down a Puck light is a connection in there somewhere and if so where would that be? I assume it might be nearest to where the rope goes in the ceiling or if I pull on it is there extra wire or a connection is if I take it all down and it goes inside the ceiling does I have wire coil in there so that you can see the 12 volt connection? And then is there any other point where this may be wired that I can check a connection without ripping it out such as in a Puck light nearby or whatever? I can't figure out how these are wired in where they're connected or how they even stay where they are if they're silicone I don't want to be ripping everything out not knowing. Figure something here probably knows.

Chicken respond to posts that are more than like 400 days old. So you end up posting the same thing as other people in the past have posted but variations of it that maybe you could get answers from other posts but now I'm having to clog the posts with this new post. Hopefully somebody has an answer and my post can help others later without being able to respond.

Thxs
Oddjobs2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had about half of the rope out in bedroom in sections of 10 to 15 light groups. Same under bath vanity. I read a post on here to tap them and voila they all work now. Give them a wack.
Harleytoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:30 AM   #3

Messing with them did something

I'm still looking for the answer on where these are wired in and how to remove them without damaging all that trim and stuff up there. I kind of messed around with them while they were off just trying to see if I could pull them out easily and it was trying to rip down all the trim underneath the mirror as well. Then I kind of pushed in one section where it goes into the ceiling area as you know it's recessed up above the base of the ceiling anyway but it wouldn't really budge without turning it apart. Well I went and turned them on and all of a sudden the other half and the living room work. No luck on the bedroom. I'm going to take the suggestion to tap on them.

The vacuum has worked fine for about 10 different tries since I've owned this and then yesterday all the sudden the vacuum didn't work we open and close the connection and it didn't work then we drove it about 200 miles I plugged in and the vacuum worked again. Kind of scary all these intermittent things on these Monaco's.

t's a great temporary fix if it works it really shouldn't be beat on or tapped or whatever to try to make it work. In this case I feel like it's the connection at the beginning somewhere whether it's in the ceiling or somewhere else maybe within the rope itself because none of the lights are on but who knows. Half lit I can see tapping a little more but boy you'd wish at least part of it would work. That's why I really would like to know how they're even wired in or where the connection is without tearing the whole camper apart. You know how these things go you can never get them back together like trying to take a door panel off a car usually breaks every one of those damn connectors in this case you can't get parts cuz the company went belly up.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:46 AM   #4

Unhappy Rope Lights still not working

No luck tapping. It'd be nice to know where they connect up in the ceiling.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddjobs2do View Post
It'd be nice to know where they connect up in the ceiling.
I'll make the assumption that your '06 is the same as my '07. The rope lights are 3/8" diameter 12 volt ropes. the 12 volt connection is at the end of the rope above those air conditioner covers, top center of the windows, etc. There are clips that the rope goes through and some are held on with silicone. I have not found a replacement 3/8" rope light yet but haven't looked too hard. 10mm is too big for the clips.

You have an Intellitec Multiplex System. Each switch pad has 3 wires which goes to the computer which is probably in your rear closet. The lighting is dimmed by pressing and holding a light switch. The dimming is PWM (Pulse Width Modulating) which means the dimming is accomplished by sending fewer pulses of 12 volts to the light. It is NOT dimmed by lowering the voltage. If you install LED lighting you may find they flicker when dimmed, some do and some don't but it sure is annoying when they do.

There are multiplexing modules all over, rear closet and above the windshield are the main hiding places.

Clean the connector the vacuum hose plugs in to.

Do you have the 200+ page wiring diagram book for the coach?
Old 09-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #6

I wish I had the diagram book. I'm trying to find one online. You mentioned air conditioner covers and then mentioned near the windows. The air conditioner covers if you're talking about the vent areas this is vented muscle vents for each air conditioner unit. I'm sure you already know this but are you talking about those events or a different type of vent. I wonder where the return vents are on these never really paid attention. Then by the windows you refer to something is that for those Balance rope lights? I'd be curious to see pictures of the areas you're referring to. So how do you get to the area above the windows for example and are these multiplex modules inside the vent area where you would remove the vent cover and be able to get to them?

What do the multiplex modules do if there's the switch which I get and then it goes back to the computer perhaps in that rear closet?

Very helpful information but I'm trying to pinpoint because it's in words exactly sort of where I might find these connections in reference to the places you're talking about. The windshield for example boy I tried to run something through there that was really fun I can't really see in there at all there's no real access other than using a fishing wire to try to run things through I can see insulation for the ceiling up there like up at the very top or the motorhome and then it's inside this cabinet area basically below that so you can't even get over and remove that ceiling cover that I can tell very readily anyway.

To check out the vacuum thing a little more detail on the road when I was broke down with a little coolant level warning as well which wasn't the cause of the breakdown I didn't notice that one of the tabs on the connector that plugs into the sensor had broke off so between that and corrosion at the connector it has a bunch of green like what would happen with batteries almost that it's not making a good connection. I was able to find a new connector at Freightliner I found a doorman product that said it was for Freightliner and it kind of looks like that and I knew that was the connector would match that so I think even though this is a Roadmaster chassis with a Cummins engine that they're using Freightliner parts for the cooling system. I think they use just whatever they can find perhaps Monaco did a better job than some of these manufacturers but I did notice they have like lights from a Ford and they have Dodge lights on one of the websites for these rvs. but I hear RV manufacturers like they'll go buy a bulk order of stuff from one manufacturer then they'll switch to another when they can get it cheaper so they'll be Ford parts and Chevy parts and Roadmaster parts. I always keep track when I figure out what brand and model they took apart from in regular vehicles and then put on their RVs cuz they're really hard to figure out otherwise. I think the headlights on this one are like for a 06 Ram or around that model year.

Thanks for your response.

Tags
light, lights