Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #1

08 Dynasty Horn quit

Unfortunately our Dynasty sat for 20 months due to the borders being closed. QWe have had some strange problems due to non use. Not using a unit is not good . Nothing was serious but now I am having horn problems and need some help. The horn was working earlier this year but on our trip south it did not work. I could not find a specific fuse for the horn. In my front run bay board F8 shows a 10 amp horn fuse. But there are 2 15 amp fuses for other items and one 6 amp auto reset fuse. From reading I think the horn goes through the smart controller. We are in Mexico and when we leave in our Bluebird next month I need to find out what I need to fix the problem. I found the Horn solenoid. It is labeled hadley. 2 air tubes . One is Blue the other is yellow. There are 2 wires going to the solenoid. One is ground the other is dead even when my wife hits the horn button. Can I test the solenoid by applying voltage to one of the solenoid terminals and ground to the other? When the solenoid wires are disconnected there is continuity between the solenoid terninals. Any help appreciated.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #2

I applied an external ground to the solenoid as well as a separate hot. The solenoid works and the horn honks. Now where do I begin?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My Windsor is a very distant cousin of you Dynasty

But I have a 20 amp horn fuse AND a Horn relay

I checked the VIP smart wheel schematic and it does show the horn function in the J2 wiring harness.

From the VIP trouble shooting guide

HORN TEST - Connect the low current test light between a +12Vdc source and J2.1 (Horn output) on the Master. Press the HORN bar on the Steering Wheel and the test light should light. If it doesn't, the Horn output on the Master is damaged (replace the Master).
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Had the same problem. I had a disconnected blue connector under the smart steering wheel cover. With firm pressure, the cover pops off held by 4 snap locks.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I applied an external ground to the solenoid as well as a separate hot. The solenoid works and the horn honks. Now where do I begin?
I've ordered a new horn pad, but it's still on back order. The pad itself (in the smart wheel), is held on by 4 studs with springs. You can pull it directly up and entire horn pad will pop off.Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	350413

The horn connection inside is strictly mechanical. You can see the spring metal that is mounted on the bottom of the horn pad (yellow wire) and the wiring that is in the steering wheel housing.

You can jump the wiring (blue wire with pink female connectors to the yellow wire on the horn pad), and if the horn sounds, your likely problem is the horn pad itself not seating properly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	horn pad.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	350412
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #6

cfxch: Are you saying to just grab the cover and pull firmly? I did the test of the 31 wire on J2 and it is dead. I don't mind buying a new module but hesitate spending the $$ and it still does not work. There must be a hidden fuse somewhere. I have found them in the passenger armrest and even behind the TV.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #7

windsor Bill. Where did you order that horn pad? I as going to try and lift off the cover and do that test. thanks

update. I removed the cover and jumped the 2 wires. Nothing. Mine is a series 2 sm211. I think it is obsolete I see the sm213 available but it has some extra connections??
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
windsor Bill. Where did you order that horn pad? I as going to try and lift off the cover and do that test. thanks

update. I removed the cover and jumped the 2 wires. Nothing. Mine is a series 2 sm211. I think it is obsolete I see the sm213 available but it has some extra connections??
well, at least you eliminated that issue before you spent any $$.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 PM   #9

The smart wheel controller went bad on our 07 Signature. I was able to call them and the engineer told me how to test the controller. Ordered it directly from them.

Or
https://www.imminet.com/immi-vip-whe...oubleshooting/

Then scroll down to find your controller's troubleshooting guide. Separate from wiring diagram

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the wiring diagrams? The Air Horn is drawing 38040967 which is on page 60 (of 279) of my copy shows a 10A fuse Fwd Elec Bay, Front Run Plate, board 8 Labeled "Horn". The Smart Wheel Page 100, Drawing 38070178 shows the horn relay on J2 Pin 3 of the controller.

Always remove Smart Wheel Controller J2 first then the other 3. Install J1 first, then J2. Just reseating them has cured a couple of problems for me.

If you need the 2008 Dynasty wiring diagrams PM me your email & I'll send them.

SM211 Troubleshooting Guide https://www.imminet.com/wp-content/u...460-I1V-_A.pdf
Old 12-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #11

jetskier: Thanks I will be calling them this morning. I saw the guide on their website but my controller is an S211. Different than the 213. It might be that the only difference is radio controls. I never called them as the website stated they do not provide any help for owners. Regardless I will give it a try. Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #12

Hypoxia: Thanks for the reply. I did see on board 8 a listing for a 10 amp fuse. But no 10 amp on that board. There is a an auto reset 6 amp and 2 15 amp for other items. I checked every single fuse in the FRB. None are blown. I spoke with the mfr. They no longer provide any tech support. She sent me the sm211 troubleshooting sheets. It failed the test for the horn. They are having chip supply problems but can build a new controller maybe in january. I can wait as we are in Mexico and not using the Dynasty. I did run a test wire to the hot side of the solenoid and the horn blew. I wonder if there is some way to bypass the controller and use the same horn button? Everything else works on the wheel.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
YC1

bypassing controller

Quote:
Hypoxia: Thanks for the reply. I did see on board 8 a listing for a 10 amp fuse. But no 10 amp on that board. There is a an auto reset 6 amp and 2 15 amp for other items. I checked every single fuse in the FRB. None are blown. I spoke with the mfr. They no longer provide any tech support. She sent me the sm211 troubleshooting sheets. It failed the test for the horn. They are having chip supply problems but can build a new controller maybe in january. I can wait as we are in Mexico and not using the Dynasty. I did run a test wire to the hot side of the solenoid and the horn blew. I wonder if there is some way to bypass the controller and use the same horn button? Everything else works on the wheel.

It is doable. The output of the steering wheel ring would have to be disconnected from the smart controller. You need to determine if the horn pad supplies a ground or voltage. Most likely it provides a ground.

Your horn solenoid would need constant power on one side and then the ground side tied to the newly release horn ring wire.

You could supply power to the solenoid via an ignition controlled voltage so it only works with they key on.

Or as a temporary fix, just install a small switch to do the same thing. I know you would have to get used to it but would at least still have it.

One of these days I am going to add a parallel electric horn to my coach. Once had the horn plugged with wasps and the sound was anemic. I really needed the blast but it was not there. An old style automotive horn would be easy to install for me.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I still wonder if you have a separate fuse/relay.

My horn works with ignition off. Not 100% sure but I think in that case there is no power going to the Smart Wheel controller.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
horn