Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #1

08 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ Wander

Hi All:
I've owned this coach about a year now and continue to have, what I consider, a fair amount of "Wander" in the steering. While at speed on the freeway, I have about 1 1/4" of steering wheel play and during a 300 mile trip, I'm constantly correcting left, right, left, right. Now, I figure the weight of the coach and height of the tire sidewalls may come into play but this seems excessive to me.
What is the experience of others with similar sized coaches (I.E. 34,000 GVWR)? I've replaced all shocks and am running new H-Rated Toyo 295 75R/22.5 tires. I had the coach in the shop and had the front end inspected and they told me the steering gear has no adjustment capability; nothing else to report during inspection. Also, I'm going to have the alignment done next and hope this may help. Anyway, just hope to hear feedback from others. Thanks much and have a terrific day!
Regards,
Mark
EV Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #2

No wandering issues at all and over 60000 miles.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #3
YC1

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-249622.html

Hi Mark,
An 08 Diplomat is not on the same chassis as Warhorse has.

Read through these two long long threads and you will find the solution to the aggravating white knuckle drive.

Our 08 Endeavor is the sister ship and I have done every imaginable modification to make it handle better.

I suspect you have a Sheppard steering box and that is the first thing I would change out. It is not a difficult job and I did mine alone on our cement rv pad.. Did have some help lifting it a bit but basically did all of it alone.

The first thing I did when traveling around the country when we were able to and was invited into various Monaco RV's is/was to grab the steering wheel and check the slop.

We bought our 08 Endeavor brand new and it was a handfull from the start.

The sheppard steering box is more suitable for off road trucks because it has some natural loosness in it and I have even seen them run boxes in tandem for heavy situations.

The sheppard is a great box and can be rebuilt but it is and never will be as tight as the TRW can be.

Sorry to give you such a reading task but until you get through a bunch of it you will get an amazing amount of suggestions but the solution for ours came from a couple of pioneers and then a bunch of really dedicated folks learning and refining the handling characteristics of the RR8R chassis.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:52 PM   #4

I had all the steering issues you describe. I do have an rr4r chassis so not exactly sure if my post is going to help you but...I just installed the Safe T Plus blue and it made an immediate, impactful difference. I was looking at the Roadmaster product - roughly $300 cheaper but they were out of stock. So for about 1k installed it made a huge improvement, worth every penny. Also I have the non adjustable steering box but not interested in changing that out.
Good luck and something to think about coming from an ex big boater - think about where the weight in your coach is. That will also affect how it handles big time.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
YC1

With the threads posted in my previous post it will become clear which modifications help your setup and which are either snake oil or just do not work for your chassis.

On my RR8R I believe I have installed every possible add on. Then removed one of them early in the trek towards changing the steering box.

I also ruined a front set of tires which were getting close to aging out so didn't care so much but made a very dangerous situation for myself. I won't say what it was but it was for the cause of making these chassis's handle better.

I also had the front end aligned three times. That did little or nothing to help.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #6

08 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ Wande

Hi and Thank You for your assist!
Did you end up swapping out the steering box and, if so, where did you find that data to support acquiring the correct box for your coach? Thanks again!
Regards,
Mark
EV Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #7
YC1

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ste...ml#post5987805

Here is a quick sound byte from the long long threads.

In any case, take the time to peruse both of the links posted earlier. It is a lot and you can just take an evening or two to come up with a plan.

There is plenty of step-by-step processes posted by some gifted writers and engineers.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There have been countless threads on this very issue.

If you have a Sheppard steering box and have wander the advice is to change to a TRW.

If you have a data sheet on your coach it should list the steering box make/model. If you don't have a data sheet you'll have to crawl under and get the info off the steering box.

There are other things you can look at once you get the steering box issue resolved. Some people add a Watts Link bar kit.

FWIW, I have a Sheppard steering box and my rig does not wander, I can drive 12 hours and not be fatigued. Usually I can drive with one hand on the steering wheel without having to correct for left right left right.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #9

So I have an 07 diplomat, RR8R chassis. Here is what I have done and my suggestion.
I have changed the steering box(trw), added front watts link, new toyo tires, air bag line restrictors, alignment, rear watts link, rear x-bars, and front a rear sway bars and tuned shocks.

Of all of that, I would suggest starting with the new steering box, and then do the sway bars and shocks (source engineering ride enhancement system)

I have been working on this problem for the last 4 yrs. Spent thousands of dollars. Drives much better, not perfect, but I think that is because I need to learn how to drive it all over again.
Scot B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Replace the Sheppard steering box with a new or rebuilt TRW and your wandering issue will go away.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #11

Steering wander

I found the same wander in my 2009 Camelot. I contacted a truck repair outfit and they installed a steering stabilizer and it made a big difference. Still not as stable as my cars and trucks but we’ll worth the investment.
Art Tufts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:12 AM   #12

You should check drag link for slop . Sounds like you have some answers.IMHO the biggest bang for buck/least parts & money to get much improved steering is TRW steering box and then/next Monaco Watts ..rear cross braces.To control slop front and rear.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have an 08 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ and installed the front and rear Watts Links and rear cross bars and no more wandering down the road. Use to drive just like you describe needing both hands on the wheel and now can drive with one hand and drink my coffee using my other hand. I have not changed out my steering box and see no need to so far. Have 119K miles on the coach and still runs and drives smooth. I would recommend installing the Watts Links and cross bars first to see how it drives before replacing steering box. Just speaking from my experience.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidog View Post
I have an 08 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ and installed the front and rear Watts Links and rear cross bars and no more wandering down the road. Use to drive just like you describe needing both hands on the wheel and now can drive with one hand and drink my coffee using my other hand. I have not changed out my steering box and see no need to so far. Have 119K miles on the coach and still runs and drives smooth. I would recommend installing the Watts Links and cross bars first to see how it drives before replacing steering box. Just speaking from my experience.
What steering box do you have? You could have gotten lucky with a tight Sheppard or an actual TRW installed.

Tags
diplomat, monaco, monaco diplomat