Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
08 Signature Slide Awning - stops rolling

We have a 2008 Monaco Signature Conquest - nice coach, but I'm convinced it is possessed.

The driver's side living room/full wall slide is this week's problem child. When retracting the slide, the awning stops retracting/rolling up with 24" left and prevents the top of the slide from fully seating and the locks from engaging.

The slides are HWH and in my hundreds of pages of manuals, I cannot find a manual for the slide topper adjustments.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction? Is there a way to adjust the roller? My DH was waxing the coach and did show me the 3 magnets he removed from the roller area. Could this be the problem? He's not sure where they were exactly, so putting them back falls on me.

Thanks in advance for any help - we're stuck in the driveway until this gets fixed.

Annie
Banannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

With it stuck, does the roller still feel like the roller has tension......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Doubt it’s a “full wall slide” which would have 2 springs and I have no idea where magnets would go plus the parts are aluminum. They are Carefree of CO toppers. You can manually help it roll up if you need to get on the road... retract all but 6” and from the roof, roll it up by reaching under one end.
To tighten the spring, you have to slide the canvas out after you have unrolled all the canvas and put a nail in the roller to lock it. You have to loosen the right end cap (looking down on it from the roof) and remove the Allen bolt that holds the roller tube. You can now move the tube enough so you can slide the canvas out. Nothing holds the roller tube into the left end so leave some of the tube behind the R end cap. Remove nail and add 6-8 turns and reinstall the nail. Do the reverse of the above.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would think it is a Girard G5000, here is the manual https://girardgroupcompanies.com/sto.../AK-G-5000.pdf

If you take the plastic off of each end cap (#2 Phillips) you can put a 3/8" ratchet extension in the square hole (The instructions call for a Girard Tension Tool) and see if there is tension on it from the spring. There is a spring on each end and the tension will be opposite on each end. A broken spring will have no tension.

The magnets hold the cover down while travelling.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If the housing is on the MH, like the above ^^^ it’s a Girrard. If the housing moves out on the slide it’s a C of CO. Because of the magnets it sounds like it’s a Girrard.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This is a link to the Girard instructions:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...30594210278951

My added suggestions:
The Girard instructions say to remove the end caps but do not tell you how. The slide cover awning end caps are plastic and have 4 small protrusions that press into the metal ends caps (first pic). Mine also had white silicone sealer on them from the factory. Gently pry the plastic end caps off with a small screw driver.

You will need to purchase a tensioner tool from Girard. It looks like a 3/8" square drive tool with a slot cut into it for the center spring screw.
First release the tension on the spring so you can properly re-tension it.

To re-tension the spring. Girard says to use seven full turns. In reality, you will put fourteen 1/2 turns counter clock wise on the spring. Again, use the 3/8" wrench to hold the tensioner tool while you reset the ratchet.

After this you can test the new cover by retracting and extending the slide.
If all is well, you can glue the plastic end caps back on. I used 2 small pieces of Gorilla tape to hold the covers overnight.

Link to thread on replacing the slide out cover fabric. It has pictures that may be useful.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...rs-372644.html
Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you everyone! Indeed they are Girard awnings. I made a "Girard Tool" from a 3/8" ratchet extension and once I simply nudged the tension roller in the proper direction, the spring wound and all is well with the awning today.

I will be replacing the fabric next spring, so all the additional information is so very helpful.
Banannie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide