Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

10 yr old tires

So they look good and I have no idea how many miles are on them. 295/80/22.5
I took the RV into the shop and they said they wouldnt replace them. Which made me feel somewhat better since they should be trying to sell me tires.
So I've been searching online and found some good prices, compared to the Goodyears which he gave me a price of $700 each. Thats mounted and balanced. Granted online I found GY for $735 so the 700 is a good price for the GY I guess, but I found Bridgestones for $570 and some brand I never heard of Durun for $375 each.
Anyone ever heard of Durun? Not real comfortable buying the cheapest tire out there but man $325 difference per tire is a lot of money when buying 6. Is the GY that much better or is in the brand name I'm paying for?

Did a search on tire reviews and couldnt really find anything on their RV or truck tires but the reviews for the car tires were positive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most folks feel that a good rule of thumb is that it is wise to change tires when they get to seven years old. I have Michelins and Michelin states to have the tires checked by an authorized Michelin rep every year after seven and to change out at 10 regardless of condition. My tires are coming up on nine years, look immaculate with no cracks and I will change them out on their tenth anniversary. There is no carved in concrete rule, just guidelines.

In your case, I would definitely change them out and also look at some other brands. I recommend that you ask another dealer because your's is giving you poor info if he says to keep them. There are some Korean brands which are reputed to be pretty good and are considerably cheaper.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At 10 years old regardless of how they look I would replace them. Don't mean to get in your pocketbook but you'll have much better piece of mind knowing you have some new treads on there. Good luck with your decision.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
While I'm not one to throw away perfectly good tires...
I've also had the pleasure of experiencing not one but 2 violent blowouts, cooincidentally of 10 year old geedyears that looked perfectly fine and had plenty of tread left.

I'd replace them asap. Maybe not with goodyear's or michelins, perhaps with toyo's or hancook's? but probably not with half price china tires. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin actually says to have them checked every year starting after 5 years and absolutely replace them at 10.
As to the old wives tail of changing them at 7, that's what it is, no tire manufacturer says that. What they do say is that as tires age they become more likely to be damaged so you are more likely to have trouble as the tires age.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you are a member of one of any Monaco clubs you can go through Michelin and get good pricing. I just replaced my 275 70R 22.5 for $473 each. Mounting, balancing etc., additional. Additionally, FMCA has good pricing through Michelin.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #7

Run, run, run, and replace the front tires now! at least. Let me tell you why. The fronts get a lot more wear and tear. When they blow, if they blow, the tire can take out part of the front fiberglass, the air brake hose, the antilock system and ruin your nice aluminum wheel. If a back one blows you still have an extra tire to allow you to pull over safely to stop.

You should be able to buy good tires for about 400 each. Probably not Michelin or Goodyear. But Toyo, Hankook and others. Most dealer that I know say 7 years and no more, period........
Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just replaced all 6 of my Goodyears today with Michelin 275/80/22.5 at a price of $527 per tire plus tax and mounting through the FMCA Michelin program. Saved me about $1300 from the best estimate I could find on Michelins. The ride and steering difference is amazing compared to the G670's
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out the Hankook brand. I was put on to this brand by my local Ford dealer R. V. Rep. and am really pleased with them so far. Price was right at $300.00 per Tire. Going on a long trip in May and will give more feed back on Tires when I return in June. It is all personal preference in the end.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Windsor Tires Not A Common Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
So they look good and I have no idea how many miles are on them. 295/80/22.5
Your particular tire size is going to limit availability. You need that specification for a Windsor but it's not a common size. When I replaced my 295x80Rx22.5 load range "H" tires last October, the only name brands in my area were Bridgestone and Michelin. The Bridgestones were $658.71 apiece, out the door. That included stems, spin balancing, mounting, all fees, taxes, etc. The Michelin's were nearly $200 apiece more.

My Windsor only had 6,500 miles on it when I bought it last August. I started searching for tires right away even though the coach had been stored indoors for all of its nearly 9 years of age. The tires were visually perfect with no sign of wear. But...

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #11

Rationalize it this way...tires are EXTREMELY inexpensive compared to body damage to the coach, tow car, and running the risk of injuring yourself or anyone else....This summers project for "Serenata" is tires.. they appear to be fine, but they're at the 6 yr mark and I'm just not willing to run the risk of a problem.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #12

Like Windsor Dave I also have the Windsor with the 295 80 r's and I can attest to the fact that they are not readily available and are not comparably priced to the 275's. I spent 3 days in Wilson, NC waiting for a tire that had to come out of Raleigh, I replaced mine at 7 years even though the tires looked great.
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #13

Bridgestone R250s are available in 295/80R22.5 and ae good coach tires. If you have a GCR Tire Center in your area, they are usually pretty good to dael with & they are owned by bridgestone. I have had 4 on me drive axle for 2 years now.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
This was just posted on the Ramblin Pushers site. I also saw it of Fox this a/m.

Summary: MICHELIN NORTH AMERICA, INC. (MICHELIN) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MICHELIN
XZU3 LRJ, SIZE 305/85R22.5, AND MICHELIN XZU2 LRJ, SIZE 12R22.5, TIRES PRODUCED
BETWEEN OCTOBER 23, 2005, AND SEPTEMBER 3, 2011; AND MICHELIN XM505 LRJ, SIZE
305/85R22.5, TIRES PRODUCED BETWEEN APRIL 18, 2010, AND MAY 8, 2010, AND JANUARY
23, 2011, AND FEBRUARY 12, 2011. THESE TIRES HAVE A CASING THAT MAY EXPERIENCE A
LOSS OF INTEGRITY AND, IN SOME CASES, HAVE RAPID AIR LOSS.

Consequence: RAPID AIR LOSS OF THE TIRE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN USE, COULD
RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy: MICHELIN WILL PROVIDE INFORMATION TO CUSTOMERS ON HOW TO OBTAIN
REPLACEMENT TIRES. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT APRIL 30,

I got a kick out of their PR guys wording of the defect and the consequence. They called it "rapid air loss due to sidewall defect" I think was they way it was worded. The company I worked for had a problem with toner clouds igniting in the machines, they called it "rapid toner oxidation, or RTO". We were warned not to call it toner explosions!! Another one was the "Paper coolant system", a UV detector that when triggered emptied a CO2 cylinder into the fuser area to put out flaming paper.
Ron

Tags
tires