Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
110/120 AC Wall Plugs

I am replacing the AC Wall plug for the Bedroom TV as it has only one outlet. I need two, one for the TV another for the DVD. I have noticed the MH uses a special outlet where the wires are not screwed like a home plug but get pushed into a crimp device in the outlet. Do you see anything wrong with using a household outlet and either screwing the wires to it or use the push in device.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
I am replacing the AC Wall plug for the Bedroom TV as it has only one outlet. I need two, one for the TV another for the DVD. I have noticed the MH uses a special outlet where the wires are not screwed like a home plug but get pushed into a crimp device in the outlet. Do you see anything wrong with using a household outlet and either screwing the wires to it or use the push in device.
those RV crimp system drive me crazy and there extremely hard to put the wires into so I use a household one when replacing if its doable
the way the outlet is held into the wall though sometimes forces one to use the Rv type
If it was me I would just buy a simple 2 or 3 into one plug in or a small power bar
No real need to switch to a dual plug outlet at all
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
All outlets should be in an electrical box cover to protect against fire and shocks, but RV walls are generally so shallow that they're not deep enough for regular box covers. RV outlets are very shallow and, in essence, in their own box so they're self contained; no bare wires.

I've replaced a number of the old style RV outlets (and added a few new ones) with the more modern square outlets using a very shallow box cover. But where the walls are too thin then use the RV type, which BTW typically have two outlets.

RV designers sure seem to miss the boat when it comes to how many outlets are in an RV and where they're placed.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
franktr
There's no reason not to, (if the coach builder left enough "slack in the wires" to do so).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

like said small power bar or cheap 3 in one plug in solves problems 100%
no fuse no muss
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
All outlets should be in an electrical box cover to protect against fire and shocks, but RV walls are generally so shallow that they're not deep enough for regular box covers. RV outlets are very shallow and, in essence, in their own box so they're self contained; no bare wires.

I've replaced a number of the old style RV outlets (and added a few new ones) with the more modern square outlets using a very shallow box cover. But where the walls are too thin then use the RV type, which BTW typically have two outlets.

RV designers sure seem to miss the boat when it comes to how many outlets are in an RV and where they're placed.
I had to cut to allow a box to fit and I will use a box, plug and cover. After I cut the support there is a lot of room. This plug is behind trim for the TV
Old 12-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is nothing at all wrong with replacing the "Quick Box" piece of (term deleted by poster) with a proper Home type outlet in a proper box.

In fact.. I highly recommend it

Though in this specific case.. Well, the load is not that great I'm not at all impressed with the current carrying capability of the "Quick Box" type outlets.. That v-slot makes very slight contact with the wire... Proper outlets have much more contact area.

So go right ahead.

Just put it in a box.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is nothing at all wrong with replacing the "Quick Box" piece of (term deleted by poster) with a proper Home type outlet in a proper box.

In fact.. I highly recommend it

Though in this specific case.. Well, the load is not that great I'm not at all impressed with the current carrying capability of the "Quick Box" type outlets.. That v-slot makes very slight contact with the wire... Proper outlets have much more contact area.

So go right ahead.

Just put it in a box.
Why would they use this type outlet I am sure it is common for most MH
Old 12-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
franktr
Easier, Faster, Cheaper...(with MH/RV builders it's all about the $$)
Old 12-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I mounted a Belkin 6 outlet power strip in the TV/audio compartment. Even 2 outlets were not enough.
Also, most RV TV outlets are setup so they turnoff when the ignition is turned on.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #11

Wall Receptacles

Quote:
The "push on" boxes are much more shallow. In my case, an old work box is too deep to fit. I was looking for a bezel mount a residential type box, but haven't found one yet. There is one installed on the shower side, with a gfci. I might have to make a 1/4 inch bezel, if I can't find a commercial one. BTW, that old #12 is a bear to bend
Old 12-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
110/120 AC Wall Plugs

A "Wiremold "1 gang extension box should solve the problem. They can be purchased from any electric supply house and maybe Home Depot/ Lowes. Whenever possible wrap the wire around the screw rather than using the stab in option on the back of the outlets. A side note, duplex outlets are available with USB ports built in and although not practical behind a TV they can be retrofitted in other locations and used to charge other electronic devices.
Scotialaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
The "push on" boxes are much more shallow. In my case, an old work box is too deep to fit. I was looking for a bezel mount a residential type box, but haven't found one yet. There is one installed on the shower side, with a gfci. I might have to make a 1/4 inch bezel, if I can't find a commercial one. BTW, that old #12 is a bear to bend
philand
1" deep and 1-1/4" deep electrical boxes are readily available:

3-3/4" x 2" x 1" Deep
https://www.zoro.com/raco-electrical...04/i/G0661157/

3-5/8" x 2-3/8" x 1-1/4" Deep
Carlon Single Gang Flanged Old Work Shallow Box: Model# B108R-UPC | True Value