Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

12 volt issue

I have a '03 Monaco Diplomat. I lost all my power to my 12 volt side of things including the entire fuse panel in full bath. I have replaced the transfer switch but that didn't solve problem. I think I saw something in the fuse area in my front basement under driver's seat. Did I see a 50 amp fuse there that powers interior panel?
ovibugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
did you check your battery disconnect switch by front door? Solenoid can fails or someone may have bumped the switch off.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #3

Hi Ovibugler; X 2 on Bill's answer. Happens a lot!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:34 AM   #4

Also try reseting charger/inverter.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On mine, the KIB LR9806 Latching Relay had gone bad. Got a new one from Amazon for like $72.00.

Some have just bypassed that altogether and never need to worry if someone bumped the battery disconnect switch.

Could also be a bad switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_151301.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	346609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_151306.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	346610  

Old 10-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Transfer switch is for 120 volt power and although it could impact your 12 volt power it probably wasn't your problem.

I would get a bolt meter and start checking power at the

Batteries
Through the house battery disconnect
Through the circuits that provide power to the house including to/from the inverter

There is a power solenoid controlled by the salesman switch that controls power to the fuse panel.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
YC1

I agree that starting at the batteries with a voltmeter is the place to be.

IF you see 13.5 or at least 12.5 at the battery banks you can then move forward down the power line path.

If you have battery cutoff switches be sure to check the voltage on each side of them. The input and output that is.

The solenoid shown in the previous post is also a fine place to start and will tell you in seconds more information than starting at the batteries. But the batteries must be up to par or you may chase ghosts.

Bumping the switch by the door is so common and I must admit spending far too much time chasing that one many years ago.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #8

Thanks for all answers

Thanks to everyone that responded. I can tell you we did a lot of checking. I will check to kill switch by the door, even though I still have 120 at all the plugs and frig. Just no 12 volt lights. We also replaced our transfer switch and it is working perfectly. There is power at the inverter/ converter. Both cut-off switches are working properly. Somewhere between inverter and the panel I am losing all power. The only 120 I don't have is my washer/ dryer combo.
I don't have my thermostat working. So consequently, no heat or air.

Just to give everyone a heads up, When I was camping I overcame the lights issue by running a jumper cable from house battery through bathroom window to the bank of 12 volt fuses. It worked on everything but the washer and thermostat.

I'm still thinking it has something to do with fuse panel under driver's seat.

Again, thanks! We'll figure it out. Keep those ideas coming!
Old 10-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Besides the lights what other 12 circuits don't work. Does your water pump, ventilating fans, etc work?

The washer and dryer is on a 120 volt breaker, make sure the breaker is on. Any other 120 volt circuits not work? Do your AC's work, water heater on electric?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
besides the lights what other 12 circuits don't work. Does your water pump, ventilating fans, etc work?
No none of my 12 volt doesn't work.

The washer and dryer is on a 120 volt breaker, make sure the breaker is on. Any other 120 volt circuits not work? Do your ac's work, water heater on electric?
i must admit i have no clue why my washer/dryer don't work. There is no breaker switch that i can find for my washer/ dryer. Heat and air don't work, i believe, because my thermostat isn't working because it is 12 volt. I won't know until i get my 12 volt system working.

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #11

Most likely your coach is like my Alpine Coach in that all DC power comes from the batteries. On my coach, the power for the DC fuse panel goes through a self-resetting breaker in the battery compartment to the house disconnect and then to the fuse panel. You probably have a different set of components than I do, but I expect they serve the same function.

andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
YC1

Set aside the issue with the washer dryer and even the AC not working. They all can or do have a 12 volt component needed to run properly.

Getting 13.5 volts out of your converter/inverter is the first step. If you do not have a functioning 12 volt system all bets are off for everything else you are having issues with.

Get to the inverter/converter and take some pictures and voltage readings.

IF you get 13.5 or more out of the big battery cables right on the inverter then you need to follow those heavy cables. Often large fuses are hidden by years of accumulated dust and grime. It can be as simple as a loose nut on a cable but you need to chase it with a voltmeter and your eyes.

Try to not disturb wires as you go. Sometimes moving a cable will clear the fault and then you will be wondering what you did and the problem will resurface.

You can also start taking voltage measurements on the large solenoid as shown by a previous poster but starting right at the charging source now is easy enough to do.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you check the circut breakers on the inverter? I had only one of the two breakers “pop” for unknown reason, I re-set it and ‘vola! Full volts on the entire 12 volt system. The so called salesman switch is also a problem, I never touch that thing. Likes to stick in the off position. Check the big relay in in the bottom left of the fuse box below the drivers seat like shown in Lowflyer1’s picture. You should have 12.5 volts on both sides of the large terminals. If no power on either side, you are not getting power from the main batteries. With power to one side only, then the solenoid isn’t activated (salesman switch off or broken) or no power to the the white wire. Purple is the ground. Try jumping a hot line to the white wire terminal after removing the white wire to activate the solenoid, listen for a loud clunk. You have to get handy with VOM (volt meter) if you own a motorhome.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #14

Like others have said, check voltage at the batteries,"Salesman switch" first. I had the same problem on my 03 Windsor a few months back. Mine turned out to be the main ground on the house batteries. This is a very quick way to check... Take jumper cables, hook to the Neg- post at the house battery bank, and ground it to the chassis. make real sure you have a clean, raw metal connection. If its the ground, this will light everything up. Good luck!
ice24524 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt