Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

12 volt lights flickering little help please

07 Beaver Marquis. When ever I turn on the ceiling lights for first time they flicker, go dim then back to normal. Sometimes this will go on for hours. Is this an inverter or transfer switch problem? Not sure which one or both that would control 12 volt. Appreciate any assistance guys.

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My 12 volt lights are not associated with the inverter or transfer switch. They are wired into the house coach side.

Your coach is newer and may have a multiplex system that controls the lights. Maybe someone with your vintage coach will respond.

First thing I would check is fuses for loose or corroded connector. Then I would check the ground.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
07 Beaver Marquis. When ever I turn on the ceiling lights for first time they flicker, go dim then back to normal. Sometimes this will go on for hours. Is this an inverter or transfer switch problem? Not sure which one or both that would control 12 volt. Appreciate any assistance guys.

safe travels
Flying Butch,

As Jim J mentioned, do you have a multi plex system?

If so, I've been having this issue for quite a while and still have not found the solution. I've been on the phone with M&M and they are very helpful with several suggestions. From their recommendations, I'm going through several changes or test. First, I'm changing out ALL florescent fixtures to LED. Apparently M&M thinks the florescent ballasts interfere with multiplex functions. I have LED materials ordered and should be received soon. We'll see what happens after that and take the next step.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
YC1

Not a transfer switch. That is AC/generator input. Not 12 volts.

Buy an inexpensive 12 volt test light. Disconnect from shoreline and make sure generator and inverter are off.

Plug an extension cord in. Put a round screwdriver or large nail into the ground lead of the extension cord. Connect the alligator clip of the test light to the ground. If you have a bench grinder sharpen the probe on the test light. If not, use a push pin to make contact inside the wires at the lights. See if the test light flickers.

I would suggest an analog voltmeter but most folks would not know what to look for.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Jim J...You don't think that it is a 12v salesman solenoid issue? 08 beavers are that much different from our Monacos?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If he has a salesman switch he could try turning it on and off but if all other 12 volt components are working it would probably indicate the solenoid is working OK.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The Marquis has the multiplex system. First thing to try is turn the salesman switch off & kill all power including solar. You may have to disconnect the batteries as the switches in the battery compartment may have a live circuit going around the switches as mine does. Connect them again & see if that helps. It has cured most of my multiplexing problems and is the first thing Monaco Tech Support will suggest.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

lights

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #9

12 volt

It was the solenoid located in rear engine compartment. There are two of them. Found one and replaced it. Wasn't difficult at all. Thankful everything is working now. Thanks for all the posts guys. Much appreciated. Have a great Labor Day
Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Good that you found it. I replaced both of those relays a couple of weeks ago. In my case the 12V in the house would shut down irregularly & the salesman switch would not be illuminated. Turning the salesman switch on would restore power. One of those relays caused it. I took the scattergun approach and replaced both.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
src

my light do the same wear are the relay i have the endeavor
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My ceiling lights do exactly the same thing. I've converted all of the fluorescents to LID and since I did that I get the dim, flickering intermittent light. I only use the ceiling lights when parked in the garage. Otherwise we prefer the other reading or task lights to the harsh, fluorescent ceiling lights. Therefor I haven't got around to trying to diagnose the problem.
Gary8346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
src

pulled the grounds that l could see (Did not help)
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
YC1

SRC, are you sure you have a multiplex system? My 2008 Endeavor does not. Or it is buried somewhere I have never seen.

There is a salesman solenoid in the compartment below the driver that gives plenty of problems. Do a search in the little Google box above for Salesman Switch and you will find tons of info.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, light, lights