RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

12 volt lost

2004 Windsor. Connected to 120. Was running water pump to check tank reading when suddenly lost power to pump, fuse ok but then discovered things that run on 12 volts had no power. Alladin reads 00 volts on house. Checked house batteries , good voltage. Novice on power but had 12 + across house switch to inverter and inverter light was on. Any help appreciated.
55stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #2

Check by the door. Should be switch for 12V. May be labeled Batt on or off. Sometimes get bumped and shuts off all 12V.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #3

Have never used that switch. Guessing you push small button in middle of switch to toggle. Have tried that with no change. Thanks
Old 04-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #4

The inverter wiring does not supply house power.

House loads will have a seperate feed and fuse/breaker close to the 12 battery.

That battery disconnect switch, you never use, controls a solenoid and the fuse/breaker could be near that. Switching that on and off while listening will lead you to the right working to follow and check.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Hi 55stude; What Fletch460 is referring to is also called the Salesmen Switch. The solenoid controls a lot of things 12V powered in the coach. Even if you have had the switch in the ON position all the time the solenoid can sometimes drop off meaning no 12V power. If you just toggled the switch back and forth once that might not be enough. I keep mine in the off position and sometimes when I turn it on I have to do it 3 times to get it activated. Try just turning on one inside light and toggle the switch to see if it engages. If not you need to locate the solenoid and jump across the terminals to see if you get 12V power to the inside of the coach. You can replace the solenoid or bypass it permanently. A lot of owners do both. Let us know what you find out and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

Done for the day but will try switch several times tomorrow. Where might the solenoid be located. My salesman switch is at entrance. Thanks for ideas.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55stude View Post
Done for the day but will try switch several times tomorrow. Where might the solenoid be located. My salesman switch is at entrance. Thanks for ideas.
Mine in in the front electrical panel, accessed from outside, under the driver. I by-passed it years ago and never looked back.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My salesman solenoid is located in the front rear passenger side electrical bay right below the the large boost solenoid that ties the house and coach batteries together. It looks like this
https://www.amazon.com/RODGERS-120-9.../dp/B00DECQXFM
You should be able to test to see if voltage is passing when the switch is on. If not it has probably failed and can be bypassed until you get a replacement. Some people just bypass altogether and just rely on the main disconnect to shut off power to all of the coach.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #9

Was salesman switch solenoid. By passing this afternoon. Thanks for help ,could have wandered around for awhile. Even worse spent my stimulus check.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Was salesman switch solenoid. By passing this afternoon. Thanks for help ,could have wandered around for awhile. Even worse spent my stimulus check.
First thing to check when you lose 12v power to several things !
Old 04-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Was salesman switch solenoid. By passing this afternoon.
Personally, I'd fix it.

Having the ability to quickly kill or restore everything has been handy at times.

The first thing I'd check is the fuse mounted on the side of the solenoid if you have one... some have them, some don't.

But that's just me...

Mike
Old 04-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
salesman switch site:irv2.com

Peruse some of these. You should find some helpful pictures.

Bumped mine once too often and the AC's shut off. Was worried the fur babies would do the same thing and it gets too hot here to have that happen. Bypassed it long long ago.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #13

I got a new nextdoor neighbor a few days ago. He came in late so I didn't introduce myself until the next day when I saw him going from bay to bay with a multimeter in his hand and scratching his head.
After finishing lunch I went out, introduced myself and asked if I could help. He said he lost all 12 volts in his 40'DP coach and described all the things he had done to troubleshoot it. He had installed over 1000 watts of solar with lithium batteries and two inverters himself so I thought I wouldn't be able to help him as that was outside my realm of experience.
All of a sudden I thought of the Salesmen's Switch (Battery Disconnect for the purists.) When I asked him if he had checked it he had a slightly confused look on his face. I told him where to look for it. He climbed up the stairs, flipped the switch and instantly became a much happier man.
He called out to his DW telling her I was a genius. That confused me because no one has EVER called me that before.
I told him I was no genius but I am a member of iRV2.com where people teach you stuff like that.
I still need my Salesmen's Switch because my old satellite antenna turns itself on, usually in the middle of the night, two or three times a year apparently to search for satellites. I have done everything I can think of to kill all power to it but the SS is the only thing that works.
I will probably replace the switch with a guarded toggle switch like is found in many aircraft.
https://m.delcity.net/store/Covered-...xoCzrsQAvD_BwE

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fmp...RoCGsgQAvD_BwE
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
salesman switch site:irv2.com

Peruse some of these. You should find some helpful pictures.

Bumped mine once too often and the AC's shut off. Was worried the fur babies would do the same thing and it gets too hot here to have that happen. Bypassed it long long ago.
An acquaintance has a battery disconnect that is controlled by a center-off rocker switch. He bolted a common electrical conduit clamp over it so that it could not be actuated accidentally.

He did the same thing with a light switch on the wall of his sticks-and-bricks garage.

Not pretty, but very functional.

Mike
Attached Images

Tags
12 volt