RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

12 Volt Wet Bay Heater

Hi all
Looking for some direction on my wet bay heater.It is the little white one 12 volts 25 amps at 300 watts.I could find lots of info on the wet bay heater but not any info on my problem (of course) . My wet bay heater problem is it will not shut off . It worked properly the first couple nights I used it. I pulled the wire off the Snap Disc Thermostat and it stopped but I cant find the Power Lead Snap Disc Temp Sensor.I would think it should be in the open to sense air temp. So I am not sure where to start to get
it running properly. Thanks Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

On my 07 neptune it is up at the top of the bay behind the water panel. You have to lean up in the bay underneath the panel for water connections and crane your neck and look up and there it is. All the while trying not to cram your head onto all the sewer fittings. Yes, very "pleasant". You would think they could have put it in a better place.

Chad

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2002 Windsor the Snap Disk is mounted bout 8-10" above the heater on the left side behind the panel that hides the plumbing.

If the heater runs continuously the snap disk may be bad, basically stuck closed.

Mine has the part #21190, if you google snap disk with this number you will bet numerous hits.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I elected to forego using the dc heater and bought a cheap small ac heater and then placed it in the compartment where the water pump is. The compartment is adjacent to the one where the fill and drain valves are and has a 3 inch hole between them. Has worked so far but we live in an area where the freezes aren't so hard and long. The MH is also plugged into a ac power post all the time it isn't in use.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!

P.S. My unit has a switch at the power control panel to shut off the dc heater.
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

12 volt heater

Had some problems with mine. Got attachment (hope it is attached!) from Monaco last year. Hope this is some help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf (Schematic 12V H.pdf (53.0 KB, 172 views)
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peter, if I read you correctly, you've asking for the physical location of the snap switch? Mine is located in the rear portion of the wet bay (not "rear" rear, but rather towards the center of the coach), attached to one of the aluminum support braces there. The snap switch need not be in the "open air". Indeed, it is where it is to sense the temperature within the wet bay. Mine has two white wires running to it. When my snap switch quit working, I just short-circuited around it ... and thus I control the wet bay heater directly from inside the RV.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Thanks for that schematic Long Island Mac I think with the recent part number on that snap disk I should be able to use it at the rv parts place. Went to napa today looking for one using Jacwjames part number but they didnt have a clue what i needed.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Peter
If you removed the wire from the snap and it shut off, and it was working properly, I'd say your snap disc is bad.
The snap disc is powered by a SYSTEM HEAT switch in a cabin are by the door. With the switch off the fan should go off. Sounds like someone may have by-passed the switch and let the snap disc control the fan directly. It shouldn't be to hard to figure. I see an earlier post with the schematic.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Gorlininc the toggle in the coach works fine . Once the toggle is turned on the heater starts and doesnt shut off untill i turn off the toggle. I am on my way to see if i can get the heater to turn off holding a hair dryer to the snap disk. If not I will see if i can get a switch at the rv shop today.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. I wasn't sure if the toggle switch was working. That switch feeds to the snap. It must be shorted and leaving your bay Hester on.
I believe the snap turns on at 40 degrees and off around 45 degrees.
I replaced my snap with a variable rheostat so I can set it at 35.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #11

Gorlininc I like that Idea (replaced my snap with a variable rheostat so I can set it at 35.) where did you get it ? because i would like to do the same.
I put the hair dryer to the snap disk and i heard it click and heater went off. I left the toggle on and seems heater is cycling as it should again. I am hoping that it stuck because of lack of use
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Attached is a parts breakdown of my wet bay heater including the snap disc. The cross part number for the snap disc is

SAS
20B Thermodisc

The item 4 and 5 are actually located in one of my electrical compartments, it provides power to the heater.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Wet Bay compartment heat after Nov 1 2001.pdf (76.9 KB, 140 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Pete.
It is used in a tiffin bus in their wet bay. My friend ordered me one. It beats using the snap. It also allows me to turn the tell up to test the heater out. I'll see if it has a part number on it tomorrow. I'll also send a pic.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #14

Was wondering where you purchased the variable rheostat. I have had problems with the snap disk also and seems like a good idea. I did a google search but did not come up with anything that looks like it would work. Thanks...

robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, 12 volt