RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question 120 AC wiring

I have finally got fed up with the 120 AC wiring in my 06 Endeavor. I keep popping one of the 20 amp breakers on my inverter. So I looked into why and found that all of the AC plugs in the RV run off this one breaker and the other 20 amp breaker only supplies the Microwave. So here are my questions.
  1. Is having one of the breaker dedicate to the microwave the standard way of doing things.
  2. If not what other outlets do you have on the same breaker as the microwave.
  3. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 120 AC wiring, need some idea where the junction boxes are located.

Thanks for any info or ideas on what can be done.

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dave
You are right about all the outlets coming off the inverter. I called Monaco on this and they said it was a design flaw and under warranty put all the outlets on the front passenger slide on a separate breaker. Unfortunately I'm not sure where the junction box for this change is. Here is a wiring diagram that may help.
Roy

WIRINGDIAGRAM.pdf

Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When you were "re-wired" did you retain inverter power for the front passenger slide outlets? If the anser is yes then I think it's obvious they simply tapped into the Microwave (20A) circuit. IMHO this is an easy and good change since the result is that "if" you forget and turn on the Microwave while the crockpot or coffee maker are still on you ONLY kill that circuit and not the whole stinkin coach. I'm amazed looking at the schematic you attached they actually engineered almost the entire coach AC to run off a single 20A breaker in the inverter.:( Oh well out to the coach to figure out the easiest way to perform this modfication.

2008 Monaco Knight PDQ 38
NW Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
They did not retain inverter power to the front passenger slide. They told me that they routed all the outlets through the inverter because of user requests (sounds like an excuse to me).
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Found some answers

Thanks to all who posted, the diagram from flyer was a big help. I figured if I could move the two outlets in the slide to the same circuit as the microwave it would solve the problems with tripping breakers. I found two junction box for the 120 AC wiring in the kitchen slide. One was located in the wire way were the cables coil when the slide opens and closes. The other was in the slide behind the sub woofer. I took a number of pictures along the way to help anyone who might also make the changes. The sub woofer is located behind an louvered access cover that also services as the cold air vent for the heater

I then removed the access cover you can see one of the junction boxes behind the sub woofer

Next I had to cut a tie wrap so that I could slide back the panels that cover the wire way.

Now I could see the junction boxes one on the slide and the other in the wire way

I opened both boxes and I could see how things were wired. In the wire way the two wires from the inverter are connected to two flexible cables that go to the junction box in the slide. Inside the junction box in the slide one cable connects to the wire for the microwave outlet. The other connects to two romex cables that go to the two outlets mounted below the cabinets in the slide.

You may notice in the JB on the slide that the wire nuts don't cover the wires. Looks like Monaco assemblers don't know much about 120 volt wiring codes. I trimmed the copper and reinstalled the wire nuts.

I the JB in the wire way I moved the flexible for the other outlets to the connection for the microwave. I then capped the wires coming from the inverter that was intended for the other outlets.

I hope this explanation and the photos will help everyone that has the same problem with all outlets except the microwave are on one 20 amp circuit breaker.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I also discovred that most all outlets were on the inv1 breaker. Found this out while installing several additional outlets. Did some rewireing along with switching the kitchen outlets to the inv2 breaker which only had the microwave on it. One of the additional outlets I installed in the kitchen area is not on inv1 or inv2 which also helps spreading the load.
http://community.webshots.com/user/logthumper
Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Microwave outlet not working

Does anyone know how the wiring is run from the inverter to the microwave in a 2006 Monaco Knight 40PDQ? I have followed it down to under the sink and I then followed it over to the wall that does not slide out, but I can't tell where it goes from there to get back to the inverter. I only have about 25VAC at the outlet and two junction box's. The voltage is good at the inverter on both outputs. Do they run the AC wires in the wall or are they run someware that you can get to?
Thanks
Wayne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne06 View Post
Does anyone know how the wiring is run from the inverter to the microwave in a 2006 Monaco Knight 40PDQ? I have followed it down to under the sink and I then followed it over to the wall that does not slide out, but I can't tell where it goes from there to get back to the inverter. I only have about 25VAC at the outlet and two junction box's. The voltage is good at the inverter on both outputs. Do they run the AC wires in the wall or are they run someware that you can get to?
Thanks
Wayne,

I believe there is a cable chase on each side just above the frame rails. This area could be very hard to access if even possible. My guess and first place I would look is where the cables and plumbing must flex for the slide to go in and out. On my coach there are some panels that slide on the fixed wall near the sink. Not sure about your coach but hopefully someone else with a 2006 Knight will chime in.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote