RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

120 volt WH but no switch on CP

I'm puzzled. On my 2003 Sahara Safari I found a breaker in my panel in the bed room labeled water heater. upon inspection of the WH I found a recepticle and power cord that is plugged into it. I don,t have a switch on the contol panel for the 120 volt element. Need some help to determine if I need a switch installed. Maybe it was an option that was not hooked up.

Jim

JimandWanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our '04 Monaco product has the 110v switch near/next to the slide switches.
What "control panel" are you referring to?

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #3

My Beaver had a WH switch inside the cabinet over the bed which was next to the breaker panel
JStilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim, Two ways to "switch ON" the HWH's 120V service:

#1 is just a simple 120-rated switch...which might be the 120VAC breaker itself (or the poor-man's switch which is merely to plug it in when needed; unplug it when not needed).

#2 switching method is via 12VDC which controls a relay (the relay is mounted in a black box that is mounted on the front of the HWH (where the 120VAC cord arrives at the HWH). If you have such a "black box", you can pop it open to see if there is a relay inside, but even better: if there IS a relay inside, you'll see other wiring arriving at the box....and this carries the 12VDC relay-ON (energized) / relay-OFF (de-energized) voltage. Hopefully this will help you solve your mystery.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Thanks for all the input. I went switch hunting and found it behind the gas valve. Its a small rocker on/off switch. I turned it on and after a few secons I could hear the water beginning to heat. This brings up another question. Does the electric heater cancel the gas or work with it? Now I can save gas while on shore power and if they both work together, I will get faster recovery while showering.
Jim
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Works in conjunction with the gas for quicker recovery. Our WH has the motor aid, gas and electric. When on the road the water is heated as we drive by the engine coolant. When we have full hookups I just use the electric element unless we need quick recovery (showers of wash a load or two), then I run both.
Also, be careful when using the electricity. If you turn the element on and there's no or not enough water in the tank you'll burn the element out in just a very short time, like 30 seconds, maybe less.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Mr_D
Thanks for the information. I read somwhere about the engine assisted heating. Thats a good idea if you need hot water ehile traveling and you already have hot water when you stop. Even though I don't post much I read a lot on this web site. Lots of good info and poeple.

Jim