Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

1992 Holiday Rambler AlumaLite

Hi, I'm new here. The wife and I are looking to get something to go camping and found a 1992 Holiday Rambler AlumaLite XL 31 foot. We went to see it and the inside is in great shape. The 2 problems we are aware of are the generator trips the breaker after a few minutes and the steps do not work, but have been disconnected from the motor to be used manually. It appears to be a model 31CBXS. We have an appointment to get the 45 point inspection done at Camping World. I don't know anything about these, so I figured the inspection would be a good start.

So, I'm looking for any advise on these. Are they decent RVs? Obviously, a lot depends on how well this one was maintained, but in general, are there any known problems or anything else that should be checked? I'm actually so new to this that I don't even know what to ask. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

We've pretty much decided to join this world, originally thinking we'd get a pop up to start. But, we ran across this and figured it'd be easier to have an all in one solution. We don't have a vehicle that can comfortably tow so we'd have to get another vehicle if we went the pop up or travel trailer route.

I'm sorry for the long post, I've been accused of being too wordy. Guess it's true!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advise/guides/pointers!
RobV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
RV Inspection

Rob, I do not know if your request is still active or not, but if it is here is a good resource for checklists. You can also do an internet search for similar terms.

Good luck.

Charles.

h1 { margin-bottom: 0.04in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); }h1.western { font-family: "Arial",sans-serif; font-size: 14pt; }h1.cjk { font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 14pt; }h1.ctl { font-family: "Arial",sans-serif; font-size: 14pt; }p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 120%; }p.western { font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; }a:visited { color: rgb(128, 0, 128); }a.western:visited { }a.cjk:visited { }a.ctl:visited { }a:link { color: rgb(0, 0, 255); } RV Inspection Checklist

A free resource from Changin' Gears (http://ChanginGears.com )

Details at http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml

This checklist is intended as a guide for inspecting new and used recreational vehicles.
When buying a new RV, use this as your pre-delivery inspection (PDI) checklist. The dealer will provide their own pre-deliver inspection, but those tend to be less detailed and performed by someone other than you. In case you are not able to perform a detailed inspection before taking delivery, inspect the RV as soon after as possible, while still near the dealer to request warranty repairs.
When buying a used RV, consider running through this inspection checklist with several new RV's first, so that you will be able to spot problems on used units more easily.
Most items on this list can be inspected by an average person; for more specialized items such as brakes, engines, etc., consider having a qualified technician do the inspection.
Also see the RV Road Test: Motor Homes or RV Road Test: Trailers checklist.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
1992 Holiday Rambler AlumaLite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobV View Post

1992 Holiday Rambler AlumaLite XL 31 foot.
Hi Rob,

How are Ya'all? Would be interested in knowing how it is going with your rolling home.

Best wishes,

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I don't know anything about that RV. Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #5

Well, I bought it...

So, I had Camping World check out the motorhome. I think they did a decent job but they only inspect the house, not the drivetrain. They found a few issues. The main one was the generator. I replaced the voltage regulator and cleaned the carb which fixed that. Small leak in the roof where the ladder and luggage rack attached, easily fixed using Dicor. I've learned a lot.

The main thing I learned is to have the drivetrain inspected as well. Our first trip was great. We had a blast and, of course, put to use a lot of the things I learned from reading on here. Oh, I guess this is a good time to thank everyone that answers questions and shares their knowledge! I was actually very well prepared and knew what to do when I got there.

The second trip, though, was also great until the drive home. The transmission died and has to be replaced. We were about 20 miles out of Myrtle Beach and had to get towed to an RV repair center. So, we're getting a new transmission. We really love camping/glamping, whatever you want to call it, so we're getting it fixed. We figured we'd be out the money anyway, so might as well fix it and get some years out of it. Did I thank everyone that mentioned a road side assistance program as something required? It came in handy!

Anyway, I've been meaning to do an introductory thread, but we've been busy. Isn't everyone? Soon, though, I'll add some pictures and a short intro.

Again, thanks to everyone that replied here and shares their knowledge on other threads!
RobV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler