Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
1995 Dynasty won't start

Hey everyone, UncleJoe here. Just bought a 1995, going to be performing a complete reno on her. Drove it home a couple of weeks ago, no issue staring. Parked in the driveway, it was started early last week and moved over a bit in the driveway. Got in it this morning and when I attempted to start only thing I can hear is either a relay clicking. The batteries are fully charged. I have given the starter a good tapping, thinking the Bendix might be stuck, but nothing and here I am.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

UJ
UncleJoeGta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hey UncleJoe, my first thoughts were along the same line as you. Low battery or a starter issue. Have you checked the voltage of the batteries with a meter, or just by the MH system? I would suggest trying the battery boost switch. This will momentarily connect your chassis and house batteries into one bank to give you maximum starting power.

Couple other ideas, although I think they are low in likelihood. Make sure that the transmission selector is in N (neutral) and parking brake is activated. Trying to remember if a 1995 Dynasty has the option to start the engine from the engine compartment. If so there is a selector switch in the engine compartment, make sure this is set to front.

That's what pops to mind at the moment. Sorry might not be a massive help.
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

Charge the batts
Do try the boost switch. .
Have someone listen if boost clicks . Clean chassis battery connections take a pic ...do not loose any smaller wires tape or zipstrip them together so yo don't. There are many grounds near the batts including one right on starter on mine. I took a good hour or two to clean every ground and battery connection .
You have a remote solenoid to fire the the starter . You can carefully jump the solenoid " old school way " wear a glove and glasses.
If starter bumps jumping solenoid , then replace start solenoid.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:10 AM   #4

Maybe Main power cable at starter loose?
Old 06-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Turn your headlights on with someone watching them while you try and start. If the headlights dim you have a battery problem. If not, then a control problem.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
That happened to me and it was loose and dirty terminals at the starter.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Get someone to hold ignition in the start position while you wiggle each wire at the starter. My coach wouldn't start last winter in Az so had wife hold ignition and voila. Turned out to be loose post on starter solenoid. Loose post not loose wire. Easy to try. Good luck, Don.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
OK thank you to all that replied. Here is what I found. This coach first off has been neglected quite badly over the past 8-9 years.
Battery Trays pretty much rotted and NO Tie-Downs, whichis so SAD because the batteries were all (3 of them, 1 chassis 2 house) not taht old but deffinietly suffered on-going damage from knoocking into each other. They would take a charge, I recondittiona all of them, but even though they showed good voltage, the draw amps when put to a load test ... not so great. Replaced ALL of them.
At the same time the main cables to starter, and chassis grounds were filthy and needed replacing and cleaning. I made my own cables 2/0 solid copper with copper lugs that I made myself. Fairly easy to do I can upload a video if anyone wants to see the process.
Now the batteries the previous owner was using for house were Group 4D starter batteries, I've replaced them with a pair of propperly recycled used group 31 that aren't a permenant solution but will be more than fine for now, total cost $100.00 Canadian plus I will get 20/per battery for cores when I ugrade.
After batteries, cleaned terminals, replaced main cables and a detailed checking of ALL ignition related points I found one butt connection on the positive direct lead from chassis battery to dash/circuit pannel that was heavily corroded.

As we all age, especcially our vehicles, COPPER connections and wires NEED attention! A tiny 14gauge wire can very easily screw up your coach time ... or even worse!

Maintenance schedules should include not only oil changes, roof cleaning and protecting but some serious attention to the DC and if you feel confident the AC electrical side of your coach. Copper wire and terminals can last a very long time if you put some time into them!

I'm going to post, if I can figure out how, some before and afters of the battery bay and some of the connections on this coach.

If anyone would like to know the way that I make my cables please let me know. You need only general tools and a place to work.

UncleJoeGta
UncleJoeGta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #9

But did it start ?
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote