RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 12:14 AM   #1

1995 Monaco Dynasty

https://ventura.craigslist.org/rvs/7087410665.html

Hi Everyone,

I went and saw this coach and went through an accidental PDI. It was really enjoyable because the owner (2nd) has had the coach nearly 20 years. We spent over 2 hours going through everything. He has done much of the upkeep himself. He was VERY knowledgeable regarding all the systems and myriads of questions I asked. As my only motorhome in the past was a 28' Class C, this is a significant step up.

Please see the add. We struck a deal pending repair of a final item. Perhaps in 10 days I can pickup. There is one item left as is - the "dash-airconditioner" does not blow cold air. Knowing what the repair is, he didn't feel it was worth the repair, as the front is such a large airspace, that he runs the "fans", and if hot, the house air conditioner, due the air volume. Thoughts?

The roof has recently been resealed, he mentioned rolling it not too long ago. However, when walking on the roof, while it seemed structurally strong, there was still a bit of "bubble" under the foot, which he noted as normal for a fiberglass top of this era.

On the interior ceiling, the white carpet of the ceiling was very clean. There were some areas of mild discoloration. He suspected this could have come from the air conditioner system over the years. he was emphatic that there are zero roof leaks.

According to the gentleman, the Add is actually missing many elements of the various upgrades and maintenance he has done over the years. It seemed everywhere we looked, he could recall each upgraded system. The overall state of the interior is very nice. The Exterior has been kept up with various touch-ups, but still has some fading of course (25 years old). "No Slides" is not a detractor to me, and actually eliminates potential issues. There are 8 new(er) airbags and 8 Bilstiens as well. New batteries, and New(er) Toyo's. The gentlemen was so authentic, again, great day. ... and the new front TV and surround system rocked Storage bays are cavernous - which fits into what I want to do. The engine sounded great and I'm reasonably impressed with the overall cleanliness of the bay, and all bays, including the generator area. It really doesn't look like a 95' model.

For delivery, I'm imagining due to the location of the coach, that we could "run the grapevine" over and back and should all performance be solid, tempts and such, then I would consider it proven. What are you thoughts or specific areas to check? At 1995 year, with 150k miles and a very solid amount of upkeep and specific recent engine work, and near $20k, the coach has already been devalued - can't go much lower else your facing a part-out. I am mechanically inclined, and plan to nearly full-time in the coach. City Dwelling. No kids, just a girlfriend.

I have 1 week to "cool" or "go for it"! I have some financing aligned as of today. I'm basically getting a significantly "cool" coach, for a mere fraction of cost, lots of fun. Various Youtube videos of the 1995 Dynasty were quite effusive on the quality, robustness, chassis, etc. Any final words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Jim

Jim Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #2

Jim, Looks like that is a nice 95 Dynasty. I have read that the earlier 90s Road master chassis had rubber suspension bushings and would rot and fall apart. The result is a poor driving coach due to the suspension now being sloppy. I am not sure the year this was changed.
New, better bushings are available but it sounds like a pretty serious labor job to replace them. If you do some IRV2 thread searching you might be able to find details. Does the coach have a Diesel Generator? Some of the 90s Monaco's had Propane generators I am pretty sure.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #3

Ad shows diesel generator.
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Streetglide
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Hi & Thanks - We discussed the 8 new(er) airbags & shocks, but not the bushings. I'll ask later in the week. He said a few times, that the diesel generator has been one of the very parts of the rig. No solar - I will likely add some in the near future. Any other gotchas? Jim
Old 03-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jim, I own a "96" Windsor 38' Monaco, and I love it!
Sounds like the PO has kept up on this one, and it is in great shape! Take it for a nice long drive, as you suggest and see how it drives! All MH's this age will require stuff, as parts wear out and break, but for the money, they are far better built than the newer one's! The mid 90's were some of the best built Monaco's out there! Manual injected Cummins 8.3's can be set up to 450 HP if you so desire, and the 3060 Allision can handle up to 1250 ft. lbs. of torque!
Mine gets on a average 9 to 10 MPG!
These are built on the Roadmaster all steel chassis, and are solid as a rock!
RR8S is the best of the best!
One place to check for leaks is the bedroom drivers side emergency escape window, as these were known to leak! Check the bottom corners of the window on the inside for soft spots.
Good luck! Rail!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

I have a 95 Dynasty. A couple of feet shorter but the same engine, etc. I agree with everyone else.... pretty solid coach but expect numerous nit picky things to constantly need upkeep or repair. I just came in from replacing the outside illuminated handle on mine. Not a huge job, but there is always something to do. Glad to see what the value is as I'm going to upgrade to a new to me somewhere around the 2005-2007 model year range.
JimWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #7

Had one just like it. Extremely well built coach. Looks like it was well taken care of. GO FOR IT !!
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #8

Hi Jim , If you are still looking take a look at this coach for sale on another forum .

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/317-2004-monaco-diplomat-for-sale-38000/?tab=comments#comment-2181[/URL]
https://www.monacoers.org/topic/317-...s#comment-2181

Good luck
Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #9

We have a 1998 Monaco Windsor 34-foot. Yes it requires all of the little repairs that most coaches require. The valve on the toilet was seeping, so I replaced it yesterday.

Our coach has a rubber roof - I replaced it a few years ago. A fiberglass roof would be a nice plus!

Dash air... ours works, which seems to be a bit of a miracle. I have no indications that it has ever been worked on! If it needed repairs, I would likely place a low limit, like maybe $500. It is not a big problem to run the generator and have the roof air going. No way I would pass on the purchase over a bad dash air.

We replaced the air bags, shocks, tires. On our coach, the bushings were crumbling, some were completely gone. Last check, parts were easily available. It is not a technical job, but it is a huge and dirty one. Most of the bolts were seized in the bushing sleeves and had to be cut to remove. I bought a shop press to remove and install the bushings. If the coach needs new bushings AND you plan to do it yourself, we should talk more.

We love our coach. We have never had a problem with the engine, transmission or generator.

Does the coach have an exhaust brake? I think you are gonna want one.

I have done some pretty amazing things with canned clear coat paint and a sanding sponge on our desert-faded cars. Our RV is next.

This coach looks like a good one! I hope it all checks out.

Yay!

Matt B
Old 03-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #10

Appreciate all the comments! The coach has an exhaust brake, Button, on the Left Foot/Heal area. Owner states that it is VERY effective - essentially eliminates the use of brakes going downhill for all but the steepest decents (or traffic).

Thank you for the 2004 Dip link as well. I am waiting for account validation, before that site will allow me to see the link. Because this 1995 is in the shop getting a final hydraulic hose leak fixed (there is a 2.0" diameter spot that develops per month, owner wanted it fixed), I have about 1 week to make final decision.

I spoke with him yesterday and have a lot of confidence in him and the coach. The only remaining 'as-is' item I'm concerned about, is that the hydraulic "leveler" system has become intermittent. He hasn't had time to troubleshoot. also for their usage, they park of in RV parks on flat surfaces. In my schema of operation, I will be using various parking lots not always level. Also, the airbag system does not "self-level", so the hydraulic levels, would be important to me. Thanks, Jim
Old 03-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
1995 Monaco Dynasty

jim,

we bought a 38í 1995 dynasty 2 1/2 years ago for what youíre buying this one for. purchased as a sort of proof of concept before buying a newer bigger, more spendy coach, iíve fallen in love with the quality and simplicity of it not having slides and some of the later bits.

with the care, work and $$ís this owner has put into it i say if it fits your needs, take it for a good test drive and let us know how it works out for you.

btw, iíve found this group of owners have a great amount of legacy knowledge they willingly share ... and for that iím very grateful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	279215
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
FWIW, I had the rear bushings replaced on my 95 Country Coach/Gillig Chassis 2 years ago. The need was identified by a chassis inspection I had performed.

The cost was $1,200 in Sacramento.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
FWIW, I had the rear bushings replaced on my 95 Country Coach/Gillig Chassis 2 years ago. The need was identified by a chassis inspection I had performed.

The cost was $1,200 in Sacramento.

dean,

where did you have that done?
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
The inspection at Oregon Motor Coach in Eugene Oregon.

The bushings at Betts Truck Service in Sacramento. They have several shops around California.

https://bettstruckparts.com/sacramento/

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty