Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

1996 Monaco Signature Series EXHAUST SYSTYEM REPAIR

I have a 1996 Monaco Signature Series with a Cummins M11 450eplus and its time to change up the original exhaust system. I was told by a diesel shop to put an exact match exhaust system back on. While I was removing the exhaust system to take it in to have them build an exact match I fired the engine with only the down pipe from the turbo connected. It didn't sound too bad. This gave me an idea of running open straight pipe exhaust.

My question is : Has anyone ever tried this and what were the results??

Where you heading to the nearest truck center to get a muffler back on there??

Joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For years in our shop we removed mufflers an run straight pipes on trucks .Now if you have an engine brake you will get a ticket for no muffler.The worst state is Colorado. It would be the same with a MH if you get cought.1800.00 in Co.
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #3

I recently replaced the muffler in our MH that has a Cummins 8.3. No one in Alaska had what I needed, so I ordered one from Summit Racing. Has it in three days and it was easy to install. It took me about 40 minutes. It is not a straight through system, so it kept the engine quite.
My 1994 5.9 has no muffler, as it is a straight pipe from the turbo out. It sounds like a truck and is NOT quite. One can hear it coming a long ways off.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

Ran the rest of the summer and fall with a straight pipe and was quite impressed. 1 mile to the gallon better. Less heat around the engine. The sound is really no different than most trucks. Just had to lay off the Jake Brake in towns.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Here's a look at the install and hangers,,, and its about 100 lbs lighter than stock!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121116-00183.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	29180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121116-00184.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	29181  

Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you want straight pipe performance with a mellower sound, try this:

Parleys Diesel Performance: Aero Exhaust Resonated Turbine XL Series Performance Muffler AT5050XL
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

Thanks, I will have a look.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
If you want straight pipe performance with a mellower sound, try this:

Parleys Diesel Performance: Aero Exhaust Resonated Turbine XL Series Performance Muffler AT5050XL
Jim,

This looks pretty amazing. What's your experience on the uphill power, mileage and sound?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
Jim,

This looks pretty amazing. What's your experience on the uphill power, mileage and sound?
I haven't used it, but when I do need to replace my muffler, it's what I'm going to do.

There are a few threads on it already with lots of good info from guys that have used this muffler.

All reports indicate straight through exhaust performance with a decent muffling of the noise. Apparently the optional resonator does help with that. Although reported to be louder than the stock muffler, everybody reports that it's not objectionable.

I have it on my 'must have' list because one of the best ways to help an engine breath easier is to reduce the exhaust back pressure. Straight pipes are usually objectionable in city traffic, so a muffler like this solves that issue.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
I haven't used it, but when I do need to replace my muffler, it's what I'm going to do.

There are a few threads on it already with lots of good info from guys that have used this muffler.

All reports indicate straight through exhaust performance with a decent muffling of the noise. Apparently the optional resonator does help with that. Although reported to be louder than the stock muffler, everybody reports that it's not objectionable.

I have it on my 'must have' list because one of the best ways to help an engine breath easier is to reduce the exhaust back pressure. Straight pipes are usually objectionable in city traffic, so a muffler like this solves that issue.

I hear you on the city traffic driving. I do notice mine more then and like I said I refrain from using the Jake Brake in towns and citys. I think if your sensible when you drive you wont see a huge difference between the straight pipe and a flow through muffler. I did try a flow through mock up design when I was building this and you really could not tell the difference in sound. I am working on the air intake side now to see what I can improve there. My goal is 8 mpg. I am currently at 7 mpg with the straight pipe (up from 6 mpg through the muffler) I have a cone type Donaldson breather set up that doe not seem to be real efficient.

Not a huge MPG nut but when you see your miles to empty go from 1200 miles to 1400 miles on a full tank you realize the difference,,, 1600 miles to empty is my goal!!

joe
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
also check out the aero turbine mufflers.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/aero...ion-80225.html
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
also check out the aero turbine mufflers.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/aero...ion-80225.html

I will have a look,,, Thanks!!

joe
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Aeroturbine 4040 muffler on a 1999 Monaco Diplomat with ISB, Banks Stinger kit, it seemed to go from a stop quicker, coming up to boost quicker. I also started using a cetane booster called Power Service Diesel Kleen(64 oz. at Walmart for $16-$17. It also has a lubricant that helps lube the pump and injectors because the new low sulfer diesel just doesn't have enough to suit me. Between the 2 items I would say I increased fuel mileage by at least 1 MPG, maybe more. I think it's important to add something to the fuel, especially for the older engines that were built before low sulpher diesel. I read a test that showed just adding 2-stroke oil, again from Walmart(their cheap Tech Brand) 200 to 1 ratio, an increase of 1 MPG. Also some older Coaches have had fuel lines deteriorate on the inside because new fuel doesn't have enough lubricant in it. These BIG BOXES we drive are not cheap to repair, I will continue to use alittle additive in mine.
When the muffler goes on my current Coach, I'll put an Areoturbine on it.
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone have access to before and after normalized dyno tests?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, repair