Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

1997 Monaco Executive dies on freeway on ramp

We recently had this happen to us on our way home from the ocean. As we were starting up the on ramp the ammeter pegged to full discharge, alarm screaming, and lost signal to the throttle. It took about an hour of scrambling around trying everything I could think of, even turning the dashboard upside down, unplugging and plugging wires, when for some reason the signal from the throttle returned, the ammeter was not pegged on discharge (no screaming alarm) and we were able to drive the rest of the way home. I have done some research on the King Cruise box and see flashing lights but have not been able to contact them to find out the meaning. Has anyone had this happen before and or have any ideas on troubleshooting this? As the WSP said “we need you to get this off the road, but don’t want you to drive it unless you are confident it won’t quit again”
Seamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

1998 Monaco Windsor.

Taking an exit ramp, and the throttle just stopped working. I don't recall any dash lights, definitely no buzzers.

Checked fuses, checked connections. It was one of the battery cable clamps - corrosion between the wire and the clamp. Cleaned the battery connections and I was back on my way.

I hope this helps!

Matt B
Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #3

unexplained happening

computers and other electronics which your motor home has a lot of complicated workings that depend on good stable voltage to function properly. It is possible you have a ground somewhere that is loose or dirty, corroded or both. Its possible just opening the dash and moving things around you already accidently moved a ground point enough that for now it's fixed.

So I would examine all the various ground points you can find. Start with those on or near your dash area, but don't ignore even the ground connection on your batteries.

It is a good idea to unplug and reconnect connectors in the vicinity of your dash area. Before doing that though you may want to disconnect your ground on the batteries.

The thing is, you may never know for sure what if any thing fixed it. By doing all this preventative maint. you can, is hopefully the answer.

Hope this helps a bit.

Loren
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you can pin down the problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #5

1997 Monaco Executive dies on freeway on ramp

Thank you all for the reply’s. I will be checking those helpfull hints out today. Thank you for the welcome aboard, and Merry Christmas to all. Look forward to eventually meeting fellow members in the near future.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We had a scare once when going over a curved interstate high rise, about half way around the corner the rv just quit... no power steering, no engine, no nothing, except the air brakes thank goodness, I fought it over to the side and began trouble shooting...

found a fuse blown in the rear run box over the batteries... replaced the fuse and we were on our way again, not sure what caused it, but I bought 20 like fuses since we were going thru the boonies of west Texas thru new mexico...

the fuse blew about 5 more times before I called around and found a truck repair shop open on Saturday...

he said no promises but he would look at it... when I showed him the pile of old fuses and that it ran fine until blowing another... although he couldn't trace down the issue, he suggested a 'thermal fuse' that auto resets once it cools down...

That fuse has been in there for 2 years now and has never tripped... OR it has enough rating that it is slower to trip and never has...
Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Do you have Steve's number, he will help you trouble shoot the King Control and he rebuilds them. Had mine rebuilt last winter. Are the lights inside the control box.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

1997 Monaco Executive

I do not have Steve’s number, I have a number for “King” but I am not sure if it is the right company anymore. The company is out for the holidays. The lights are in the box. 2 red ones, opposite eat other in the box, flash on and off, not in synch with each other.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #9

The company is Cruise King The # is 507 334 0250. Steve will help you trouble shoot it
and he rebuilds them. New ones are not available. Do you have an ammeter or is it a volt
meter. I have ran a wire back to the throttle and ran the coach that way. That you said that you had a alarm going and no voltage I would assume that you have something
else going on. If the brake lights come on for some reason you will only get 1/3 throttle.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #10

my guess is that on the ramp, perhaps under heavy acceleration, the batteries shift and pull on the cables, and somewhere the insulation has worn thru and you get a short. if in a big enough cable and for a short enough period of time it might not get hot enough to burn the insulation.

when you slow down the batteries shift again and the problem goes away....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco