Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 12:57 AM   #1

1998 Dynasty Headlight Switch

I have a 1998 Monaco Dynasty with headlight switch problem. Switch got hot, shorted out I put new switch and connector in switch still gets hot. Will smoke if turn knob to brighten console lights
Rcclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 02:22 AM   #2

Assuming your looking for solutions to the problem - I bet crimped connections for some of the wires inside the female plug that connects to the switch are all burned up, causing a high resistance which creates heat.

You need to see if you can find and splice in a new plug connector. It’s possible the bad plug might have ruined the new switch.

Who built the coaches chassis?
Old 07-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem and ultimately found a short to ground. Kept getting hot and blowing fuses until I found the problem.

But my switch still gets hot, I think there are just too many lights wired to it. I have about 25 ligthed switches besides the dash lights. One option would be to limit the amout of lighted switches, by either disconnecting and/or putting in a switch that would active them as needed.

Luckily I use my Silverleaf VMSpc to monitor the speed and other stuff so don't need the dash lights on.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #4

Looking at what jacwjames wrote, I would track down a chassis wiring diagram for the coach and see what kind of loads are on the switch - but since you say it happens when you turn the headlight dimmer to brighten the dash lights I doubt there is an excessive lighting load. Possible but doubtful.

One other point - if any of the bulbs have been changed from what was originally installed in the coach.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There are lots of threads on this subject, use the search function and put in "monaco headlight switch hot" and you'll get a lot of info.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In my case it was the rheostat portion of the switch, the old one had actually burned out.

When I put the new on in the rheostat coiled wire would start glowing red. This is the portion that controls the brightness of the dash lights and switch lights.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:39 AM   #7

Rcclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Assuming your looking for solutions to the problem - I bet crimped connections for some of the wires inside the female plug that connects to the switch are all burned up, causing a high resistance which creates heat.

You need to see if you can find and splice in a new plug connector. It’s possible the bad plug might have ruined the new switch.

Who built the coaches chassis?
All I know it’s a road master chassis, I also changed the female connector
Old 07-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #8

It’s weird that your not blowing any fuses (at least you have not said you are).

Make sure any dash related fuses are properly sized. If the rheostat portion of the dash light control is glowing red, then too much current is being drawn through the circuit. That ought to blow a fuse - but it’s also an indication of too much current being drawn either due to a short or the wrong bulbs being used.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #9

I have under lighting from etched panel for writing ,they put in separate 75$ bus/semi dimmer switch.
Anyway....you could figure out what pinout feeds dash lights, bypass the dimmer and test amps with meter. It's hard to test short to ground through a bunch of bulbs . They are a burning hot short to ground.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I saw one post where they had water in the headlight that was causing problems. Just a thought.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:59 AM   #11

Same thing happens to mine if I turn switch to brighten dash lights
Old 07-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had similar problem on my 2004 HR Rambler DP. While changing out the dash switch, noticed the harness was melted a little. Spliced in a new one and problem solved. Usually I keep the dimmer set on high, on low it causes resistance and gets hot. Try this sometime. After driving about a half hour with the headlights on and dash lights dimmed some, grab the metal shaft of the pull out knob and try to hold on to it. Make it a game, longest holder wins a prize. A prize of some burn antiseptic with band aids.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:26 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone for your help
Old 07-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #14

Did you fix it?

FWIW - most dash light dimming systems I’ve worked on work like this -

When the dimmer is turned to drive the lights full bright, the resistor is no longer in the circuit and therefore shouldn’t get hot.
When the dimmer is turned to dim the lights, resistance is added in series with the dash bulbs.

The simple understanding of Ohm’s Law will guide you in understanding how the circuit works what happens in the various components as power is applied and the dimmer is either varied or taken out of the circuit altogether - these 2 formulas explain Ohm’s Law -

Voltage=Current x Resistance
Power=Voltage x Current (where power will be watts, which is heat)

Tags
headlight, switch