RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #1

1998 Dynasty When do I need new brake pads?

Always appreciate senior members advice. We are new to us owners of a 1998 Dynasty. Its in pretty fair shape and we had it pass a safety certification for our province so we could register it. I was wondering how one assesses the health of their brakes and when its time to put on new pads etc. I assume going to a good brake shop and getting them to assess is the easiest but I would like to know what questions to ask so they do not feed me a lot of misinformation and run their bill up. Its hard to find reputable shops when you roll in with an rv of this size. It seems its a sign that says they can charge through the teeth ? Thanks in advance for any specs as to brake pad wear etc.
JMCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

Used to be the pads had a metal tab riveted on to the end of the inner pad that would screech when the pads wore down enough......yours might still have that type of pads....
Old 09-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Drum brakes should be good for several hundred thousand miles. I always figured during my trucking career 259 to 300,000 miles. Don't go to a brake shop you need a truck shop or mobile mechanic. Have them show you how to check lining thickness. 43 years and 3 to 4 million miles driving. Good luck and happy camping, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought our used 2002 Windsor in 2008 I crawled under and did a visual inspection of the brake pads. The brake shoes at the time were ~5/8" thick. Since then I've inspected the brake shoes every time I do a lube job and I cannot tell they have gotten any thinner.

I would do some research and see if you can find the actual part number for your rig and a thickness and measure.\

Here is a DOT guideline for brake thickness
https://www.freightbrokerscourse.com...-brake-lining/
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
How long will the brake lining last - of course that depends on the type of driving you do (mountains, flat interstate, city, etc.) and how many miles are put on the Coach between relinings.

Your '98 probably has drum brakes (Bendix EB series) all the way around. With drum brakes you can see the lining thickness just looking at the backside of the drum (no need to pull the wheel). You can tell how much lining remaining by looking at how thick the lining is.

However, you cant really just go by lining thickness alone. You brakes could be glazed (overheated) and have plenty of lining remaining - and then will not provide the braking power you need.

Also you want to pull the wheel/drum every so often to inspect the drum for heat cracks too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drum brake lining.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	302629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum Brake lining thickness.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	302630  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #6

Checked my safety report for brake wear

Appreciate Jim and Mike for the feed back. I checked the saftey report that was filed to pass certification. The brake pads were 3/4 inch front and 9/16 rear. Would either of you consider this adequate for a few years of driving mainly falt some mountain .perhaps 5000 miles per year. Thanks for any insight
JMCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would think you would be fine but I would suggest you visually check yourself and confirm and measure for a future reference. Check again in a year and see what the difference is. This should give some indication on long they may last.

FWIW I use my exhaust PacBrake whenever I can. I do not leave it on but switch it on as needed. On moderate grades I don't even have to use my brakes and I am descending a steeper grade I will apply hard braking for a short period of time to maintain a safe speed. This helps extend the life of the brakes.

At our old house we had a pretty steep driveway and the brakes would get a real good test every time we took the coach out, it would also wear any rust etc pretty fast as we backed out of the driveway. If the brakes weren't up to par I would know real fast.

I do most of my own maintenance so I do a visual check of the underside of the coach when I lube it, looking for anything out of the ordinary. It gives me a piece of mind knowing that all is good.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
1/4 is the minimum for commercial but of course you still have pad left at that point.
How long they last is dependent on other things. But in motorhome use you should really never need to replace the pads other than cracking glazing etc
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake