Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestr View Post
I was told that the owner towed a jeep with this coach and got 9 miles to the gal.?? Seem like such a small engine to be towing???

great info from everyone, I surely appreciate all the info and help, I will try to find someone who knows about these to come with me but its difficult.
I didn’t look but if it has the 5.9, 9 sounds close just depending on where he was driving and how fast. It won’t be flying up any hills for sure but will still pull fine.I’m getting close to that on some of my fills pulling my Jeep and doing the speed limit with my 8.3. I could be getting better but my fan is on most of the time so that has to be hurting it some.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2022, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
I was told that the owner towed a jeep with this coach and got 9 miles to the gal.?? Seem like such a small engine to be towing???

great info from everyone, I surely appreciate all the info and help, I will try to find someone who knows about these to come with me but its difficult.

My 5.9 gets 8.5 in mountains and 10 on flatlands pulling my jeep, plenty of power with a banks tuner on it, been up and down passes to 11,500ft great motor
Old 08-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #17

okay, i went and took another look its a 275 Cummins 8.3 with 850 ft lbs.
tires have 50 miles on them.(no spare) gen is propane, reef only runs off propane? engine is not computer. propane gauge doesn't work. Air doesn't seem to leak quickly but does loose air overnight? slide goes out and back in ( needs topper), bad spot in bedroom under window near floor in wall, he said he fixed it?? hot water works and furnace works. I failed to check the roof air, totally forgot. cab air doesn't blow cold. Level system doesn't work. Roof probably needs coating. He seems to have taken care of it for the most part, he drives tractor trailer for living. MPH doesn't work, he said he let someone borrow it and they drove it off the battery as the alt died and he thinks the low voltage did it?? One fog light doesn't work and wrong one in there.
Washing machine he said he never used but he's the second owner, he said they won't let you use the washer because it takes to much water??? Good water pressure in sink.
based on what I have seen online from a dealer he's asking too much money 25,000 as I can get the same thing 3 years newer, two slides, and a bigger motor for the same price. Only prob is its in Tampa and I'm up near Bennington VT.
Think maybe I should walk away?
Chestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
...Think maybe I should walk away?
Your instincts are correct. All those issues and "fixes" indicate a lack of commitment to properly fixing things by the current owner, IMHO.

I'd keep looking for something in overall better condition and that matches your price/equipment level expectations.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #19

1998 monaco diplomat

I agree, I mean why use propane for the reefer when you paid for electric??
Too bad nice looking rig. But I'll keep searching.
Thanks so much for all the professional advice I certainly apricate it.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
These RV evaporative refrigerators run better on propane than electric because they require heat to boil the liquid ammonia. They will run for a month on one gallon of propane.
The generator is just the opposite. They are de-rated from the gas or diesel versions plus they will use up a tank of propane in a 1-2 days.

As you continue looking at motor homes in this era you are going to find most of them are in this same condition.

Monaco coaches in this year group are either EPDM rubber roof or fiberglass roof (preferred).
Keep looking.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #21

1998 monaco diplomat

good to know, this one was i think fiberglass? I don't believe the air bags were ever replaced?? HE said that the RV place told him the problem with the levelers was the sending units on each one, but I don't know if they just assumed this or what? You would need to see if there was power to it or not?
Old 08-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #22

Ugh, propane genny. Based on all you have said, I'd pass. The propane genset is the straw that breaks the camels back. This is really an undesirable feature, plus all the repair items.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Good buy or GoodBye?

Price is fair for year and model
Regardless of mileage

The items mentioned are all minor IF you can troubleshoot and fix yourself.

RV shops will take your money.

Most diesel pushers are just big trucks with campers mounted on them. The RV part allows dealers to bend you over especially when dealing with tires as a 22.5 truck tire is the same as a 22.5 “rv” tire but half the price.

We have a 95 Dynasty 40’ bough at the right price.

Ask yourself this, “does this unit scare me? Am I capable of fixing it? So I have 5-10k to spend on getting it brought up to modern standards creature comforts etc in say a two year timeframe.

If your answers are yes see if you can get it knocked down by 5k and be on your way!

Good luck
UncleJoeGta
UncleJoeGta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Hi I am contemplating on buying a 38ft Monaco diesel pusher. He wants 25,000 for it. the cab air doesn't blow cold, the speedometer is stuck and the odometer shows 36,000 ??? wondering how many miles are really on it? It has new tires and batteries. And is in good shape, the fabric covering the slide out is in need of replacement.
Brand new fridge ( re-call) Engine started right up. Also levelers don't work?? Wondering what else doesn't work?
Is this a good buy or should I look around???
I haven't seen the slide out work, roof air etc either. Chet
I have a 2003 Monaco Camelot with 46000 miles 3 slides 8.3 ISC. Everything in good working order, fresh service and ready for the road asking $60,000.00. In OK. Interior all nice original except 2 new LED TV’s and all LED lights inside and out.
buff1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
From what you have said about the difference between what he told you and what you found to be the truth, there is probably a lot more to discover. The 25 thousand dollars is your buy in to start spending big money. By the time you are finished repairing, you could probably purchase a very nice , and much newer motorhome . The levelling gear alone is going to cost you close to 15 thousand to get some one to install a new one, unless you can purchase second hand and do the work yourself. Good luck!
lpsfu48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #26

I bought a 2001 holiday rambler ambassador. Three years ago. Paid 40,000 Canadian. Probably 32,000 US.

I am fairly handy. So a lot of the work that’s been done on the coach since I bought it I did myself.

Much of what I have spent has been on upgrades. Floors, bed, inverter charger, batteries, lighting, gen auto start, pep wave, fridge (12v compressor cooling unit) tv’s, gps, cameras, tpms, there is more but those are the big ones.

Maintenance wise it has been better than I expected reliability wise. I really only let me down once, the rest have been repairable when they could be but still driveable. Air bags, tires, suspension repairs, exhaust crack, turbo waste gate actuator, intake manifold pressure sensor, wiring fault in transmission harness, coolant expansion tank, wheel seals, just removed the rad and cac to be rebuilt, that’s going to cost 6,500 just for the rebuilds.

All that said I have also put over 45,000 miles on it, and it is now drinking age anywhere in North America so those years require time wear items to be replaced/repaired/rebuilt. This was my expectation.

I would guess I have spent 40 to 50k Can, 30 to 40 us on maintenance and repairs. Again I am handy and have done most of this myself. If I was paying an rv shop to do this work It would be at least double and likely not done very well. Finding a shop in Ontario that will work in an rv is very difficult. They want nothing to do with it. Rv shops are not good at fixing trucks.

If I had bought something newer, (I would not buy a diesel pusher 2007 or newer due to problems with emission equipment) that didn’t need the upgrades I still would have spent most of this on maintenance.

So it becomes a decision based on how comfortable you are with maintenance costs. You need a good inspection to be sure. If a bunch of those systems are defective you could hit a huge bill right after purchase. So be forwarned and know exactly what kind of shape it’s in. But at the end of the day you could buy a 2022 and spend huge $$ on depreciation and still have big maintenance bills (just ask some of the folks on here that have had to replace exhaust filters), or you can buy a 2010 and probably spend close to the same on maintenance but less on depreciation but have a used vehicle. Or buy a old machine like mine. I don’t think my maintenance costs are out of line and my coach is quite modern with its systems. Unfortunately being a single guy it looks like it was decorated by a single guy, and it is not the prettiest thing driving down the road but 95% of people would not notice. It is well groomed.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I would sell you my 98 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga for $40K It has 47,000 miles. Everything works and it looks as close to new as you can get. I have done most of the work myself over the last 10 years. but I am considering downsizing to an SUV and a TAB 400.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning Chestr, no one can tell you sight unseen if you should buy YOUR coach. We can give opinions. Meaning no disrespect, you sound new to class A diesel coaches with limited knowledge. Everyone of us has been there.
Did you crawl under the coach to check for leaks and obvious issues with air tanks, steering linkages and exposed air lines and wiring. My best advise is before you buy any coach, hire someone with knowledge of class A coaches to inspect it for you. A big coach is like a big boat. The initial cost is the cheap part. Parts are expensive and unless you can do most repairs yourself the labor rates are crazy. There are things like leveling systems, CAC’s, injection pumps, air driers, pressurized coolant recovery tanks etc that you are probably not familiar with than can cost thousands apiece just in parts.
They are also a lot of fun and will make memories to last a lifetime.
No coach will be free of issues. Pay a few dollars upfront to as best possible know what you are buying. Minor repairs and upgrades are fun. Issues costing thousands are not. There will always be the unexpected but, Find the big issues upfront on any coach you buy.
Just my 2 cents. The price is in line on that coach IF it’s in decent shape. Buyer beware.

Best of luck on hitting the road and making great memories

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote