Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

1998 Monaco Diplomat

Hi I am contemplating on buying a 38ft Monaco diesel pusher. He wants 25,000 for it. the cab air doesn't blow cold, the speedometer is stuck and the odometer shows 36,000 ??? wondering how many miles are really on it? It has new tires and batteries. And is in good shape, the fabric covering the slide out is in need of replacement.
Brand new fridge ( re-call) Engine started right up. Also levelers don't work?? Wondering what else doesn't work?
Is this a good buy or should I look around???
I haven't seen the slide out work, roof air etc either. Chet
Chestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #2

Price seems alright probably some wiggle room. It all depends on how handy you are. Paying a shop to do the work would be a deal killer
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are so many big ticket items that could be an issue on a coach of that age. Generator, turbo, air charge cooler, slides, pac brake, manifold, injector pump, leveling system …… Unless you are quite experienced with class A diesel coaches I would suggest you make any offer contingent on a certified inspection buy a reliable qualified coach inspector. It can literally save you 10’s of thousands in potential repairs.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:41 PM   #4

I have a 1996 Monaco Signature. All prior posts are 100% correct. Price is right. Many things will need repair. If you are handy and enjoy doing your own work this could be a fun project. Don’t be afraid to ask me anything. I have been through my coach front to back and I would go coast to coast in it tomorrow.

Joe
Old 08-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #5

Monaco diplomat 1998 38'

Thanks, Well I was wondering if the speedometer and the odorometer work together? Like if one doesn't work the other won't either? I also noticed the RPM gauge isn't working/stuck. Cab air isn't blowing cold. He said it was just serviced and ready to go but I checked the oil and its not only dirty but down a quart?? But the oil in diesel's always look dirty. Also if its only got 36,000 miles why did he have to get new tires?? The motor did sound sweet, started right up, generator started right up and ran well.
I have a diesel tractor and that's the extent of my diesel knowledge.
Supposed to have another look see on Sat with the actual owner who is a truck driver by trade.
Chet
Old 08-11-2022, 05:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning

On my coach, the odometer and the speedometer were separate systems.
On a motorhome the tires should be replaced no later than 7 years from the DOT date of manufacture. Regardless of wear. Be sure to check the date code on the new tires.
Make sure the generator handles the load of both a/c units together without cutting out on error code.
When was the air dryer last serviced on the coach. Ask for maintenance records.
Someone with a silverleaf or other cummins code reader can easily hook up to the in cab 7 pin connector and pull any error codes and the actual mileage from the engine computer. A local cummins truck repair shop can do that also. Check for transmission codes also.
Be sure to check the coach closely for signs of water damage delamination. The exterior belt moldings were noted for leaking on those coaches.

Which engine is in that coach? Isc 350 or the 330? Monaco’s of that vintage tended to have some play in the steering. Check that and the steering linkage for play. Check the cruise control works properly. Test everything on the and in the coach.

The asking price sounds reasonable. But i would still recommend you get a knowledgeable person to inspect the coach. I very much enjoyed working on my own coach but just the parts can get very expensive quickly. Be sure you know what you are buying.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Old 08-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #7

1998 monaco diplomat

Well the engine is a 275HP cummings. I understand they have a metal roof?
I saw a 2001 for sale in Tampa at a dealer for 24900 with two slides and a 330 HP Cummins. Looks clean and I can get financing through them. BUT I m in NY state near Bennington VT. The inside is immaculate, seats,sofa, carpet. The Refer is new ( re-call) I have appt to have him show me everything works. Cab air doesn't blow cold air. nothing new I guess? I'll see if I can find someone with a reader as he is in the boonies as I am. Thanks For all the info.
Chet
Old 08-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #8

1998 monaco Diplomat

You mentioned exterior belt moldings, not sure what they are?
Old 08-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestr View Post
Hi I am contemplating on buying a 38ft Monaco diesel pusher. He wants 25,000 for it. the cab air doesn't blow cold, the speedometer is stuck and the odometer shows 36,000 ??? wondering how many miles are really on it? It has new tires and batteries. And is in good shape, the fabric covering the slide out is in need of replacement.
Brand new fridge ( re-call) Engine started right up. Also levelers don't work?? Wondering what else doesn't work?
Is this a good buy or should I look around???
I haven't seen the slide out work, roof air etc either. Chet

These were near top of the line in their day, great coaches. Given the known issues, I think the asking price is a little high.
Not a bad coach to own if you're on a budget, and looking for something you can update a little here and a little there. I have a 97, it's got issues like any other 25+ YO coach, but plenty of new coaches have issues. Mostly small stuff, and dated decor.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ask for the engine displacement and torque rating, not HP. A 275hp engine could be a Cummins 5.9L with 550 ft lbs (like a Dodge pickup), or a Cummins 8.3L with 850.
Also, 1998 was a transition year. It could be a mechanical engine or a computer controlled engine.
Ask if the generator is propane, or diesel. Propane will only last a few hours but diesel draws from the 100 gal tank and and go for days.

I want to warn you that it will probably need LOTS of repairs. You are only finding the tip of the iceberg.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:06 PM   #11

One concern older mechanical injected motors if supplied with the KingCriuse throttle cruise control. There was aftermarket support but it had dried up. If unit really fails, a new throttle control is needed. There are 10s of thousands running around out there fine I'm sure. Just pointing it out so you have all info if electronic injected no worries at least as far as its concerned. A member here "cry42" has a dedicated solution/parts instructors ect. As well as a couple other options out there. He reach out to me from a thread. I looked it over ,very nice. I have M11 with early electronic injection and there was confusion from other members about KingCriuse being on mine but not so.
As far as topper for slide goes. There are a cut to fit option. Some older slide topper upper tube is somewhat larger than slide and awning material. I remember one owner used the extra material like 4-6" on each side for better coverage and eliminated any water getting on top of the actual slide.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, Well I was wondering if the speedometer and the odorometer work together? Like if one doesn't work the other won't either? I also noticed the RPM gauge isn't working/stuck. Cab air isn't blowing cold. He said it was just serviced and ready to go but I checked the oil and its not only dirty but down a quart?? But the oil in diesel's always look dirty. Also if its only got 36,000 miles why did he have to get new tires?? The motor did sound sweet, started right up, generator started right up and ran well.

I have a diesel tractor and that's the extent of my diesel knowledge.

Supposed to have another look see on Sat with the actual owner who is a truck driver by trade.

Chet
If you are interested in this Motorhome...... you have received the best information from the replies listed in this post. My advice is to take someone with you that has experience with a diesel pusher. Someone has already stated that there could be a lot of big ticket items wrong with this Motorhome or it will need repairs after you purchased it. My advice is don't rely on the owner's input for your final decision. They are trying to sell the motorhome so your probably not going to get your best advice from the seller.

I bought my diesel pusher in early 2020. I did my own inspection and I could see for myself what I was going to have to replace or repair. But I got the price reduced significantly by negotiating and I was satisfied with my purchase. However I did have to replace all 10 of my airbags and some small things on the engine after I got home with the Motorhome, but I noticed all this during my- self inspection that I did prior to the purchase. I have done all of my own repairs including a bunch of upgrades. (Residencial refrigerator) My motorhome has came a long way in the past 2 years.
Good luck.
Frank.
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well the engine is a 275HP cummings. I understand they have a metal roof?
I saw a 2001 for sale in Tampa at a dealer for 24900 with two slides and a 330 HP Cummins. Looks clean and I can get financing through them. BUT I m in NY state near Bennington VT. The inside is immaculate, seats,sofa, carpet. The Refer is new ( re-call) I have appt to have him show me everything works. Cab air doesn't blow cold air. nothing new I guess? I'll see if I can find someone with a reader as he is in the boonies as I am. Thanks For all the info.
Chet

Good morning,

That coach should have a one piece fiberglass cap for the roof. The cap comes over the edges of the coach slightly. Where the cap and the sides meet there is an aluminum strip screwed to hold the roof and side together, this aluminum strip is then covered with a vinyl cap strip. Monaco used screws every 6” but no sealant was used.

The Monaco’s were/are great coaches. But, these are 25 years old. Time takes its toll. Diesels are made to run. Long periods of sitting are not necessarily their friend. Rubber, seals and plastics deteriorate with time etc. One mouse or squirrel nesting can do a lot of damage to wiring etc.

One other thing to try is charge the air system then shut the coach off. See if the air bleeds down in the coach.

The 275 cummins was the smallest engine put in that coach. If you will be doing mountain driving you will be underpowered.

I am in no means trying to talk you out of the coach. Monaco’s of that vintage were great coaches. But, it is a a old coach. It will have issue.. I’m just saying as best possible try to find out what they are before you buy.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #14

1998 monaco diplomat

I was told that the owner towed a jeep with this coach and got 9 miles to the gal.?? Seem like such a small engine to be towing???

great info from everyone, I surely appreciate all the info and help, I will try to find someone who knows about these to come with me but its difficult.