Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #1

1999 HR Endeavor rehab

As the title suggests I am freshing up an Endeavor and one of the first puzzle pieces I ran into is the fuel tank.
I need to drop the tank but there are two fuel nipples that protude through the frame.
I am guessing that these unscrew from the tank but thought I would check with the brain trust before I start torquing on them
geomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Knowing what chassis your coach is built on would be a help ; but if you could post a picture of what you're seeing that would help even more.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #3

Thanks Skip and sorry for the obvious omission.
chassis is a 1999 freightliner XC 38 foot.
Will post a pic once I get back under the chassis.
The MH has both right and left fuel fill locations.
The nipples are a machined barbed fittings that connect the fuel filling tubes (between fill cap and tank) to the tank.
These fittings protrude through the frame on either side of the tank and are preventing the tank from being lowered.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #4

I'm also on a 99 XC chassis and just finished heater hose replacement and don't recall seeing what your describing , but if it stops raining tomorrow I'll take a look , could be I just wasn't looking too closely , even though they ran down the drivers side of the tank. .

Have you read the info on posting pictures ?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html

EDIT: My speed reading needs work .
You've got the rubber fuel fill tubes off and now you need to know if the metal 2" tubes left through the frame thread out of the tank it's self . OK, now, we're on the same page .
I'll try and get in with my remote camera tomorrow to check , but I'm assuming they thread out . I'll confirm ASAP.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 PM   #5

thanks for the link on posting images!

Did you add a coolant circulation pump to your heater lines?
I guess i should have first asked, how does your heater work?
The PO mentioned there wasn't much heat through the dash system.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoto View Post
thanks for the link on posting images!

Did you add a coolant circulation pump to your heater lines?
I guess i should have first asked, how does your heater work?
The PO mentioned there wasn't much heat through the dash system.
Ok , first things first ; too wet under the coach to get behind the tank to run my viewer ( can't call it a camera ; it doesn't take pictures , that'll teach me to buy things on sale without reading the box ) down the frame rail to the area of the pipe . However using it to look closely past the side of the tube past the anti vibration grommet , I'm positive I can see threads , so the tube should thread out , on install check any pipe sealant you use will be ok with diesel .
Forecast is for drier by the weekend , I have other work to do under the coach and will have a better look then.

I didn't add a coolant circulation pump when changing heater hoses .
Dash heat works reasonably well ; very well on a 6% grade at WOT .
If I'm driving at low speeds and notice lack of heat , usually dropping to the next lower gear gives enough RPM to let the engine water pump get the circulation up.

When you get the fuel tank out , if you're not replacing heater hoses while the tank is out , look closely at the way the hoses are zip tied to the wiring harness and the frame rail . Separating ( cutting the zip ties ) the hoses and harness with the tank in place is a royal PITA.

After changing the hoses , I'm sure they were the forth item on the assembly line .

1. Left frame rail
2. Plastic channel for wiring harness
3. Wiring harness
4. heater hoses
Followed in no particular order by , frame cross members , right frame rail , fuel tank , air system dryer , steering box, engine , differential, front suspension , engine air conditioning condenser and hoses , etc etc etc.
You name it , if it's on the chassis chances are it's in the way when you're changing heater hoses.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoto View Post
As the title suggests I am freshing up an Endeavor and one of the first puzzle pieces I ran into is the fuel tank.
I need to drop the tank but there are two fuel nipples that protude through the frame.
I am guessing that these unscrew from the tank but thought I would check with the brain trust before I start torquing on them
I have and XC with 98 Endeavor.
Will attach a parts list from DTNA. It only shows one Filler tube but maybe it will help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BOM Footnotes.pdf (122.6 KB, 48 views)
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Thanks greystoke .

Parts list does show # of parts 2 , so just not in the drawing .

Parts description .

FTG-ST 1.5NPTF-2.0Bead mm

My take is .
Fitting Straight 1.5" National Pipe Thread , but I'm lost on the rest of it .

greystoke ; you still have access to DTNA Connect ? I got booted last May for lack of use . I wonder if I could sign back up.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #9

Thanks everyone!
I will venture forth with a long handle axial torque applicator (pipe wrench).
It does look like it could be a 1.5" pipe nipple that has been machined on a lathe to have a 2mm barb to secure the hose so the description makes sense.

Skip, thanks for mentioning the heater lines. I think I will change those as well while the tank is dropped.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thanks greystoke .

greystoke ; you still have access to DTNA Connect ? I got booted last May for lack of use . I wonder if I could sign back up.
Yes they are hardliners about signing in every 60 days or so and if you don't you have to call the help desk to get back in. make sure you tell them it is for an RV. Owner/operator. I had to do that a couple of times over the years. Besides that they require frequent pass word changes and they notify you by email before hand. I just put it on my calendar. I go up there quite a bit now for info. A few years ago I had to replace a front oil seal in my left front tire and their procedure was pretty good. Adjusting for proper endplay was extremely hard and time consuming. So I stay active on the site a few times a month. You should be able to get reinstated. Sorry for the delay in responding. Computer problems all day.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210920_011554443.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	343842
Old 09-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #12

Strange that your vent line comes through the frame beside the filler tube , mine is through another hole further forward in the frame .
Assembly line workers .

Tags
1999, endeavor