RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #1

1999 Signature 45 Air compression

Hello: looking at a 45 and I have a question about the air system. It has 10 bags and the 525 Cummins. When the engine is started the alarm sounds and continues to run until the pressure reaches 80 which takes about 2 and a half minutes. I owned an 03 Dynasty 40 that had a similar amount of bags and the 400 engine.....it reached 110 in less than 1 minute and alarm quit. Is this an indication that there may be a leak in one of the bags or elsewhere or is it normal for the 45/525 chassis/engine configuration? Thank you.
Cavdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If all 3 air tanks were empty, 2.5 min to fill to 80psi is a bit slow. Was the engine running at hi-idle speed?
There is soooo many places on the air system to leak besides the air bags!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
With a 20 year old coach air leaks can be common. We have owned ours for over a year now and have fixed the big ones. But still have many smaller ones to seek out and repair.

The easier test is to see how quickly the air pressure in the tanks drops after you shut the coach off. In a perfect world with no leaks, the pressure gauge shouldn’t move at all. If the gauge doesn’t move in a few weeks, I think that’s a pretty satisfactory result and our goal for a 20 year old coach. If it goes a few days that’s still not too bad, but it goes down in hours or minutes then I would be looking for some bigger air leaks. Our major leak was a pressure protection valve connected to the front tank, we coils actually hear the air leak it was so bad.

All the best with the air leaks! It certainly is an adventure.
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #4

checking for air leaks and blocking your rig

Appreciate the forum and learning a lot . We have a 1998 Dynasty Executive and was wanting some advice or even pictures of how one should be blocking the suspension when working underneath it. Thanks in advance for any best practices so my wife does not have a pancake husband cheers
John
JMCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCruiser View Post
Appreciate the forum and learning a lot . We have a 1998 Dynasty Executive and was wanting some advice or even pictures of how one should be blocking the suspension when working underneath it. Thanks in advance for any best practices so my wife does not have a pancake husband cheers
John
Hi John, that's a good point. It is important to take all the necessary precautions before crawling under your coach. Here is a link to the post on our build thread where I replaced the pressure protection valve: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/upg...ml#post5288851

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	304023

As you can see, we built ramps out of sturdy 2x12s and this allowed us the proper clearance to get under it. As far as blocking, or other methods, I'll leave that up to someone who has done it before.

Hope that's helpful. Stay safe,
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

99 Signature 45

Thank you folks. Your comments are well-received. It sounds like this is to be expected for its age and the causes are many. I'm at an extreme disadvantage logistically as the coach is in AZ and I'm in MA, dealing with FaceTime vision limitations. One consolation is that the owner is a fellow IRV2 member and that elevates the trust factor. Any other thoughts that you might offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.
Cavdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, air