Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #1

1999 Signature ISM 450 coolant leak

Hey guys I need a little help again. My coach has a coolant leak around the water pump area I have an appointment to get it looked at on Monday but I was wondering if I should get a water pump or if the problem could be more possibly a hose,gasket or Orings.
The coach has always been stored inside in the winter and this year it was outside when I started it up it was very cold and the dash indicated low coolant. When I checked the overflow was empty and I could see coolant leaking around the pump area dripping on the ground. Anyone experience this and would you have any idea which water pump I should order?
Thanks Les Birch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_144849.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	276359  
Les Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Join the Cummins Quickserve site.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Once you join you register your engine using the SN.

You should be able to find the water pump using a key word search. If so it will show a parts schematic an the appropriate part numbers.

Most water pumps have a weep hole that will start to leak if the bearings/seal start to fail. So it could be the water pump.
I've also read/heard of freeze out plugs failing.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

Most water pumps have a weep hole that will start to leak if the bearings/seal start to fail. So it could be the water pump.
In my experience, when water starts coming from the vicinity of a water pump... it's the seal. If it's a hose or something else, you should be able to spot the source of the leak.
My ISL started leaking last year, and it looked like it was leaking around the gasket, which really confused me because it's got an O-ring seal. After I got the water pump off, I could see that it had an internal channel draining the front seal waaaaay over to the side of the mounting flange. So the leak really was the seal, but it wasn't dripping from the shaft seal area like you'd expect.
The updated P/N I got for a replacement has a more conventional weep hole.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 02-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #4

Leak

I have a 1999 Executive with the same engine that is parked in New Jersey this winter, last year I was in Florida. I also have a leak and took it in to Freightliner to get repaired. It leaked when I started it up but when I arrived at the facility 60 minutes later it was not leaking. My mechanic explained that it is an O-ring that leaks until the engine gets warm and O-ring expands. I asked could he change only the O-ring and he said when he removes the water pump that I should change the water pump as well. I asked him what would he do and he stated that when the weather warms up it will not leak. Hopefully he's right.
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

So update on the leak around the water pump area. I had a shop remove the pump and the leak was the O-ring seal as Pat M mentioned. Once he got it off it was split in half and would leak at times and other times would not. So we decided that it was just not a good idea to put the old pump back on as the bearings had a little bit of a growl when we would spin it. So a new pump a flush and 10 gallons of Final Charge antifreeze, fresh filters, oil change with filters, 2 new starting batteries and a re-soldered negative post connector, hydraulic filter change, fuel filters changed, generator complete service oil and filters all for a grand total of $1250.00
Thanks for the help Les
Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a very fair price for all you had done. I know I've read $600 for just an oil change. I was also quoted $650 for a coolant change/flush. So you came out like a bandit.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

Yes
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Sounds like a very fair price for all you had done. I know I've read $600 for just an oil change. I was also quoted $650 for a coolant change/flush. So you came out like a bandit.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #8

Leak

Les, glad things worked out. What a great price for all the work completed on your coach. Would you care to share the name of the repair facility?

Safe travels.
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #9

Thumbs up

So to clarify I did supply the pump, oil, antifreeze and all but two of the filters. So the two batteries, two filters and labor was 1250. I guess still not a bad price for all the work involved. The shop is Ron's Tire Point S in Rigby Idaho Home Of The Television.

Tags
1999, leak