Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Dynasty Bad weight distribution

I had smart weight done to my coach and it came out very bad. My only guess is the airbags were out of whack. any other thoughts. I will be redoing it next month and I will put in my jack stands just to have it on the scales and confirm my thoughts. Any other reason this could be so far out??? See results.

Front Back
7850 8575

3900 14015
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #2

HOLY WOW!! I'm not sure that I understand your numbers as to which corner is which. Are you saying the left and right on the front are 7,850 and 3,900 respectively and the left and right on the rear are 8,575 and 14,015 respectively? That would add up to a little under 11,750 on the front and about 22,590 on the rear. It would add up to 16,425 on the left and 17,915 on the right. The total of 34,340 pounds sounds about right. But that puts 21,865 pounds on one diagonal and only 12,475 pounds on the other.

Your numbers, if they are true, and if I've correctly guessed at which corner is which, suggest that you must have one heck of a huge twisting force on the frame and box of your coach! And I would expect it to be a bit on the hard side to drive on anything but a straight and level highway. You are very wise to pursue it. Either the weighing was done incorrectly or yes, something is seriously amiss with the air control and distribution to your air bags.

Also, just out of curiosity, do you know the axle ratings for your steer axle and your drive axle? Your coach seems to be a bit rear-heavy. I don't know, though, as we have a tag and that probably changes the choices for drive axle load requirements. I think my drive axle is rated at 20,000 pounds.

Wow! Keep us posted.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tim -- There will be some RV`ers that I know & will be in the area this week - They are very mechanical & know the Monaco product -- They are part of the Quartzsite Gang -- Perhaps they could meet you here at my place here in Gilbert for a look see -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
HOLY WOW!! I'm not sure that I understand your numbers as to which corner is which. Are you saying the left and right on the front are 7,850 and 3,900 respectively and the left and right on the rear are 8,575 and 14,015 respectively? That would add up to a little under 11,750 on the front and about 22,590 on the rear. It would add up to 16,425 on the left and 17,915 on the right. The total of 34,340 pounds sounds about right. But that puts 21,865 pounds on one diagonal and only 12,475 pounds on the other.

Your numbers, if they are true, and if I've correctly guessed at which corner is which, suggest that you must have one heck of a huge twisting force on the frame and box of your coach! And I would expect it to be a bit on the hard side to drive on anything but a straight and level highway. You are very wise to pursue it. Either the weighing was done incorrectly or yes, something is seriously amiss with the air control and distribution to your air bags.

Also, just out of curiosity, do you know the axle ratings for your steer axle and your drive axle? Your coach seems to be a bit rear-heavy. I don't know, though, as we have a tag and that probably changes the choices for drive axle load requirements. I think my drive axle is rated at 20,000 pounds.

Wow! Keep us posted.
Front is rated at 13000 and the rear at 23000
Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Tim -- There will be some RV`ers that I know & will be in the area this week - They are very mechanical & know the Monaco product -- They are part of the Quartzsite Gang -- Perhaps they could meet you here at my place here in Gilbert for a look see -- Bill Willard
That would be great Bill. I will be in Glendale this weekend but after...or this Sunday afternoon would be perfect. :-)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Airbags won't cause that kind of discrepancy. Go have it reweighed and don't leave until more accurate results. Slight differences yes, but not like those. Good luck Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That's so out of wack I don't think it could be accurate.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The travel mode doesn't work on it's own. I have to manually raise the coach. I'm thinking the two diagonal corners that are heavy have the airbags up too much carrying too much weight.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #9

Do you by chance have a rocker switch or a push button switch either on your left console, on your dash, or perhaps mounted inside of your front run box that says something about HWH RESET? It may have a red button or light on it. Ours does, and ours in mounted in the front run box on our '06 Dynasty.

If you have that, turn your key on and use that button to try a RESET on your HWH system. Then see if your TRAVEL MODE will work. As you know, you will need to have your air relatively full and your key ON (I would do it with the engine running to make sure there aren't any permissive devices keeping it from doing what you are asking) for it to come up to ride height when you press TRAVEL MODE.

Keep us posted. I'm in agreement with several of the comments that it is not likely that air bag inflation by the system is the issue, but when you say what you did about going to ride height manually, you may have hit on the crux of the problem. Try the reset and then let us know.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #10

Try this link, Tim. It has a great troubleshooting section that begins on page 5.

Your crazy numbers actually might be true. In my 7:49 AM reply above, I made some assumptions about the numbers you posted and which ends/sides/corners they were for, and if my assumptions were right, your total front to rear total weights look reasonable, and your total left to right numbers look reasonable. Also, based on your reply, your total axle loads look good. Your individual wheel bearing, hub and suspension loads could be dangerously beyond design, however. The twist that those numbers would cause really is a serious concern from both a coach torsional load standpoint and from a safety in driving standpoint.

It hadn't tumbled to my head that your HWH could be the issue, but your comment about "travel mode" not working got my attention, finally.

See if you can't download this manual and work thru the troubleshooting section.

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml31043.pdf

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Try this link, Tim. It has a great troubleshooting section that begins on page 5.

Your crazy numbers actually might be true. In my 7:49 AM reply above, I made some assumptions about the numbers you posted and which ends/sides/corners they were for, and if my assumptions were right, your total front to rear total weights look reasonable, and your total left to right numbers look reasonable. Also, based on your reply, your total axle loads look good. Your individual wheel bearing, hub and suspension loads could be dangerously beyond design, however. The twist that those numbers would cause really is a serious concern from both a coach torsional load standpoint and from a safety in driving standpoint.

It hadn't tumbled to my head that your HWH could be the issue, but your comment about "travel mode" not working got my attention, finally.

See if you can't download this manual and work thru the troubleshooting section.

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml31043.pdf

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
My panel does not look like this one. I will post a picture tonight after work.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
My panel does not look like this one. I will post a picture tonight after work.
Here is a picture of my HWH air leveler control panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Controller.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	264464  
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

Interesting, Tim. Similar to ours, but different is true. Check this out.

Here is the link to the main HWH website. https://www.hwhcorp.com

Here is a page on the HWH website that suggests that you have the 680 Series in your coach. https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml17785_01_nom_pr_lesy.html

Here is what might be the right manual for your coach. https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml19048.pdf

Good luck, Tim!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting, Tim. Similar to ours, but different is true. Check this out.

Here is the link to the main HWH website. https://www.hwhcorp.com

Here is a page on the HWH website that suggests that you have the 680 Series in your coach. https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml17785_01_nom_pr_lesy.html

Here is what might be the right manual for your coach. https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml19048.pdf

Good luck, Tim!
Thank you, this helps a lot. Points me in the right direction.

Tags
weight