Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
All the filter in that reference have strapore a synthetic filter, and are to be serviced at extended interval.

They may have changed construction and used the same numbers.
The WF2122 is on the list and the box said to change it yearly. Is that considered extended ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Yearly is standard. From the brochure I took it to mean change the same interval as the extended antifreeze. I have Final Charge so the interval was 3 years. Now I see the interval has gone to 6 years. That does seem to be a long time, though.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ht...s_filters.html

I stand corrected. That document says yearly or 150k mile is extended. Standard is 500 hours or 25k.

Guess I'll have to add this to my service list this year. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
My coolant filter gets changed at every LOF change plus the DCA is analyzed for proper level with a small sample coming from the coolant surge tank.

I usually have Speedco do the job with changing two fuel filters, oil filter and coolant filter along with the normal stuff.

One important thing I have learned is that your coolant shut-off valve will break unless it is handled carefully by the service tech.

The oil filter has to be removed FIRST. Then using a pair of grippers gingerly work the BACK end of the shut-off valve (the one facing the back of the coach) until it moves freely. If you use the front end it WILL break. Trust me I have had to replace two of them because of uninformed service techs.

Once the new coolant filter has been installed and the valve returned to the open position the new oil filter can be installed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My coolant filter gets changed at every LOF change plus the DCA is analyzed for proper level with a small sample coming from the coolant surge tank.

I usually have Speedco do the job with changing two fuel filters, oil filter and coolant filter along with the normal stuff.

One important thing I have learned is that your coolant shut-off valve will break unless it is handled carefully by the service tech.

The oil filter has to be removed FIRST. Then using a pair of grippers gingerly work the BACK end of the shut-off valve (the one facing the back of the coach) until it moves freely. If you use the front end it WILL break. Trust me I have had to replace two of them because of uninformed service techs.

Once the new coolant filter has been installed and the valve returned to the open position the new oil filter can be installed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard,

I'm a little confused by your explanation. I turned the valve that's just above the coolant filter. You say there's two valves?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post

Richard,

I'm a little confused by your explanation. I turned the valve that's just above the coolant filter. You say there's two valves?
There is only one valve which is above the filter canister BUT it has two ends. I strongly suggest using the rear end versus the front end to turn it off. I have had two different Speedco techs break my valve when trying to turn it off because it was stuck. Once the valve has been freed up it is easy to turn on either end.

The valve itself is plastic inside of a metal housing. That's why it can break very easily when seized or stuck.

After having the valve replaced twice now, the Cummins tech explained why they break IF using the wrong end to turn it off when seized.

See THIS thread with photos and explanations.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Dr4Film,
Thanks for the link! I knew there was a reason I had not changed the filter, I'm getting CRS.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I noticed a small wet spot under the coach this morning and crawled underneath and there is coolant dripping off the valve handle. I don't know how long its been since the filter was changed, but this is aggravating. I'll be buying a new valve next week.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #23

Dennis, ask if there is a stainless steel replacement for the plastic valve. For a time, that was available on the earlier non-electronic engines. By the time I needed one, it was no longer available. I machined a couple for myself and a friend, but think the valve changed on the later engines. Luckily, the valve is OK on my present 2000 Dynasty with ISC-350. You can change the filter without it, but you either have to drain coolant, or lose a good bit of it during the change. Lots simpler if the valve works!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Dennis, ask if there is a stainless steel replacement for the plastic valve. For a time, that was available on the earlier non-electronic engines. By the time I needed one, it was no longer available. I machined a couple for myself and a friend, but think the valve changed on the later engines. Luckily, the valve is OK on my present 2000 Dynasty with ISC-350. You can change the filter without it, but you either have to drain coolant, or lose a good bit of it during the change. Lots simpler if the valve works!
Thanks, I'll ask Van.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Richard's explanation got me to wondering about this valve. It just didn't make sense that turning the handle on one side would break the valve, but turning the handle on the other end wouldn't. Since mine may be leaking I looked it up on Cummins Quick Serv and found this exploded view.

I think this is a new design. Part number 8 is the handle you can reach without taking off the oil filter. This one doesn't look like mine which is more of an "L" shape. I think this new design would put a lot less stress on the shaft. The second handle is also not part of the shaft, but attached with a long screw. This one also shows two o-rings, and the one pictured in the thread Richard referenced only had one.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The part has gone up considerably-$120.67 and it doesn't come with the gasket.

Surprisingly, you can order each part individually. I considered it, then had second thoughts about doing it that way. I could end up with parts that don't fit the body of my valve.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis,

The last time mine was replaced was April last year when I stopped at the Cummins Coburg OR shop on our way back to Alaska.

The head was $123.45 and the Gasket was $10.64. I kept the old leaky shut-off valve with the hopes that one day when I stop at Van's place for a visit possibly he can make the innards out of something other than plastic.

BTW, the valve in the exploded view that you had posted is exactly like mine since 2002. I am on my third one now. Plus they do NOT make a SS unit for the ISC 350. I had asked while at the Tulsa OK Cummins shop where I had the second one installed after the "boys" at the LA Speedco broke my original one in April 2012. Then the Speedco in Fernley NV broke the second one in Dec 2012 (that one didn't last too long!) but it was never replaced until we left the CA coast for Alaska last spring 2015.

The way it was explained to me is that if you use the front part to shut off the coolant valve it is the weaker of the two ends as you can see in the exploded view. The rear of the valve is the beefier of the two ends and the rear section is where the actual shut-off is located.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Dennis,

The last time mine was replaced was April last year when I stopped at the Cummins Coburg OR shop on our way back to Alaska.

The head was $123.45 and the Gasket was $10.64. I kept the old leaky shut-off valve with the hopes that one day when I stop at Van's place for a visit possibly he can make the innards out of something other than plastic.

BTW, the valve in the exploded view that you had posted is exactly like mine since 2002. I am on my third one now. Plus they do NOT make a SS unit for the ISC 350. I had asked while at the Tulsa OK Cummins shop where I had the second one installed after the "boys" at the LA Speedco broke my original one in April 2012. Then the Speedco in Fernley NV broke the second one in Dec 2012 (that one didn't last too long!) but it was never replaced until we left the CA coast for Alaska last spring 2015.

The way it was explained to me is that if you use the front part to shut off the coolant valve it is the weaker of the two ends as you can see in the exploded view. The rear of the valve is the beefier of the two ends and the rear section is where the actual shut-off is located.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard,

Speedco didn't take responsibility for damaging the valve?

I ordered through Southern Plains Cummins in Austin and they told me there was only one valve listed when I asked about a stainless steel valve. Initially, I tried to order it at the Freightliner dealer close to where I work, but they told me I had to order each part individually so I quickly moved on to South Plains Cummins for the part.