RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #1

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Engine-Driven A/C Issues

Hi everyone, new to the forum and new to RV ownership (I posted in the new member section) with my first issue needing some guidance.

On my 2000 HR Endeavor (40' diesel pusher, Cat 3126B, double slides if it matters) while working on replacing the exhaust brake I ended up breaking one of the AC hoses. With the hoses running over the engine and clearly original (and I suspect also tweaked at some point in the past, AC compressor was replaced around 5 years ago) I caused a leak. The rest of the system looked original so one thing led to another and now I have something close to 100' of AC hoses removed - pulled the old ones from the engine all the way up to the front, and then got the high pressure hoses off as well. Basically everything on the system looks to be original and there was a good bit of corrosion on it from the years of use. I had already had to replace the condenser fan (which had seized up). Then while getting one of the hoses off of the AC condenser I ended up bending the inlet tube.

I'm at the point of needing essentially a new everything (except AC compressor) for my system.

I used to do automotive AC work when I was a mechanic so I'm used to these systems. Getting new hoses made is no issue. However this system seems to be made in a very screwy manner and figuring out which parts were taken from which other function is also uncertain. So a few questions:

1) Is there an easy source for getting part numbers and/or cross-references for more readily available parts? Specifically I'm trying to figure out part numbers for the receiver dryer, orifice tube that appears to be attached to it, expansion valve (not sure why the system has both, and wondering if it's truly needed?), and condenser. The condenser might be repairable at a local shop, or I suppose I could also look to find a universal replacement. Hoses are easy enough to get replaced at a local hose shop and maybe I can simplify things.

2) In my (limited) use of the RV so far, it seems that if it's warm enough to need air conditioning, that it's warm enough I also need to be running the generator for the rooftop air conditioning. Now I'm not sure the engine driven AC is working at max efficiency as it seems like whatever doors exist to direct air out the correct vents aren't working. But am I correct in this thought that I probably won't get away from running the generator for AC most of the time? If so, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off just getting and wiring up a 120V electric AC compressor that I'd run off the generator and eliminating the engine-driven AC, saving around 80' worth of AC hose. Normally I'd think this sort of thing is kinda crazy and of course it does limit me to needing the generator to run any air conditioning (so that has its own issues), but seems like it might make sense in this case. Has anyone done conversions of this sort before?

Thanks!
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I recently reworked the dash air in my 2003 Endeavor
I found the expansion valve Online From the number stamped on it
The Filter was completely clogged and I couldnít find an exact replacement so I had to build some fittings to fit the new one.
The blower assembly was made by a company that is no longer in business but luckily mine was working and didnít need replacement. Flushed out all the lines, coils, and recharged. Itís working great now. I hung a rod and curtains behind the drivers seats to help cool the front while driving. If itís really hot outside I still have to run the roof air while traveling.
HR Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

Hi Ted DuPuis; I am guessing that a lot of what you need is out there, jut not connected to an 2000 Endeavor for parts. I would check NW RV Supply in Eugene Oregon as they do handle some dash A/C parts. Also if you can get the name off the housing cover of the dash A/C unit, in the gen. compartment up front, I think, not sure, if that company is still in business or bought by someone else.

In my 01 Windsor on the vehicle data sheet it shows my dash A/C was provided by Frigette. Again, not sure if they are still in business. I was trained in dash A/C when I took an automotive course back in the early 70's. The one thing we were taught, and I think it still applies today, is that these A/C systems need to be run. At least once a month for 10 minutes or more. I do this and have done this for years and, knock on wood, my A/C systems on my 1997 Ford F150 are still working great. Consider that a lot of RV's sit for extended periods of time with no use. The O rings in the system can dry out and start to leak out the Freon

If you dash A/C heating system is not directing air to all the positions I would check the vacuum pump in the gen. compartment to see if it is making vacuum. You also could have a vacuum hose that has fallen off or has cracked. On our older coaches this happens and is a subject that shoes up here often. Also when I run the dash A/C in my Windsor, for cooling I only run the A/C in the Max position as this recirculates the cabin air through the evaporator for cooling instead of drawing in the hot air from outside the coach to be cooled down. This has worked for me for years and my system seems to cool the dash area very well. Hope some of my perspective help you in a direction to get things going again. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #4

Stick with the original design on your dash AC. It obviously won't cool down the entire coach but if properly charged will keep the driver and passenger cool.
My DW has asked me a couple of times if I could please turn down the dash AC fan while driving down the road.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

I think to be clear, my point isn't about the idea of ditching the forward AC, but more the idea of redesigning it with an electric front-mounted compressor rather than the mechanical engine-driven compressor. Being an engineer, former AC tech, etc., it's within my capabilities just more wondering if others have done it. Those 40' AC hoses don't sit great with me. But maybe I should just put the new ones in and do that.

We had a trip with the RV last week, mostly it was cool enough to just use the heater (those 40' heater hoses also don't do a fantastic job). Few times when the AC would've been nice but it did let me play around some with the vents. All the vents are working correctly, so that's good. Definitely agree that we do need the forward AC, just how to fix it is the question. Being September and going into the cooler months, gives me some time to think about it before the warmer weather returns.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I also used to do MVAC and worked on our motorhome's A/C several times. It also went through several heater cores. Each time I repaired it and got it working perfectly and then....sure enough, something always failed again.

The other day on a test drive it was pretty hot out, I ran the genset with the roof air and said, 'that's the way to do it'. If it was cold out I would run the furnace. Ultimately, I found the dash heating and A/C system to be a bit cheesy and a bit of a weak link.

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #7

This guy had all my Original parts for my 2000 Beaver Marquis when I did my repair. Expansion valve, condenser, drier, all original parts exact fit for my application. Give em a call or look it up on line:

Motorhome Dash AC and Heat systems

Tags
endeavor, engine, holiday rambler