Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

2000 HR Endeavor 7.5 onan diesel gen.

on the road last week and had the onan running to power the fridge and roof ac units.
fridge started alarming with no power, found the onan had shut off but the indicator light on the dash start switch was still on and the gen. will not start and the light stays on.
Anybody out there familiar with this scenario?
Wagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

HI Wagg1; Sorry, have not had the situation you are describing happen to me, but you need a place to start looking, WHY did this happen! It is a possibility that the light is staying on showing the gen is operating because of some electrical problem. For some reason the gen. shut down and will not restart. If you have the owners manual for the 7.5, I would go to the trouble shooting section and see if you can get a code for a problem with the gen. The Onan has the ability to send blink codes on the switch on the gen. to link to problems. I am guessing by your post that this is the first problem you have had with the Onan. If no owners manual, you can access one online. The gen. shut down for some reason, low fuel, over heat, over load and etc. See if you can get a code for a place to start looking. This would by my path to see if you can find what is wrong. Also might try putting in a search at the top right of this page to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Let us know how things shake out and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Will not start kind of leaves us hanging .
Does it turn / spin , make some noise or just nothing ?
The first thing to look at is the fuel level

Most coaches the gen stops at approx 1/4 tank but some

have reported theirs stopped at 1/2 tank .

I recently had mine stop , it would start and stop again after
a minute or two .
My problem was a broken water pump belt .

Ray

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Full fuel tank, light stays on so no fault code is retrievable, gen. was serviced about 10 hrs. ago.
no action at all when either the dash or local start switch is pushed, light on switches gets brighter when the button is pushed but burns steady, no flashes, fuses are al good.
This is what's so puzzling.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

Hi again Wagg1; feeling your frustration! When you go to start the Onan, do you pull up on the bottom of the start switch? When pulling up from the bottom of the start switch, does the red light stat to flash rapidly as the glow plug relay is powering the glow plugs. Still holding the bottom of the start switch up does the gen. engine make any attempt to crank over. If none of the above happens, I am going to guess some electrical problem has accrued. I am also sure that you know that pushing the top of the switch in causes the fuel pump to run and the gen. does not start with the switch pushed in at the top of it. Everything that I have described above is how the 2, 7.5 Onan generators have operated on both my Monaco Windsor's. Sorry for the reputation of sequence you all ready know, but just asking. I am sure that you have the proper 12+V to the terminals on the back of the gen. Just trying different things to see if we can get some kind of response from the Onan. Still to me, sounds like something electrical has happened. Keep us informed even if it just lies there and says, sorry, I'm dead. P.S. You mention fuses, I am guessing you are talking about the ones under the plate above the start switch on the generator itself that houses the access to the radiator cap!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Have you gone out to the gen and tried starting it there ?
If you have some wiring issue you just might be able to
operate the gen from the switch on the gen itself .

There is a wire that runs along the top side of my gen on
the pass side

In that wire harness is a connector that has caused problems

I'm not sure what all those problems can be but that would be
an easy thing to unplug and clean up .
Actually this is the wires from the gen to the inside starting

switches .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #7

Well the gen. gives absolutely no response from either the remote or local switch and I think it is an electrical problem do to the sudden shut down when it has been running perfectly with no hiccups.
The "engine indicator light" on both the local and remote switches which continues to burn is what really has me puzzled as I "assume" this is a fault indicator in and of itself but there are no references to this steady light and since it will not extinguish, retrieving any other fault codes is impossible.
It looks like a wire tracing, joint connection "endeavor" is in my immediate future!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #8

Good evening Wagg1; Wow, it does look like something in the electrical department has gone south. At this point the only thing that comes to mind is to disconnect all power to the gen. itself by using one of your battery disconnects. I don't know if your gen. is powered by the chassis batteries or the house batteries. Just a wild shot in the dark to see what happens. This could take some time! I hope you find a fix sooner than later. Good luck!

Tags
diesel, onan