RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Monaco Diplomat fuel sender

I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat 38D with the Cummins ISC. I bought it used a couple months ago. Since Iíve had it the fuel gauge hasnít worked. It sits in the empty range, maybe an 1/8 of a tank of a little less.

I took the panel out the exposes the sender unit hookups. I canít read the label that has the part number or what the resistance range should be. I know Iíve seen some that are 0-90 ohms, and others that are 35-240 ohms. Mine currently reads just under 8 ohms. If Iím reading between the right two posts.

Also the top wire on the sender was not hooked up. I hooked it up and loosened each and then tightened it again to make sure the connection was good.

Im not sure exactly how much fuel I have on board right now, but it was full when I bought it, and it reads the same on the gauge then too.

So, does anyone have an idea of what type of sender I have? Also judging by the location of the sender unit on the side of the tank I assume Iíll have to have a very low tank to replace the sender without spilling a bunch of diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	577454F4-D699-4431-AF54-8CBD1ECC9732.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	305678  
JerryLook is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The sending unit is probably a Centroid, here's a link
CENTROID PRODUCTS - Electronic Fuel and Water Senders
Scroll down the page and there is a link for installation and calibration.

There is also a link for Monaco rigs troubleshooting.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

I replaced the sender on my friends 2005 Monaco to no avail.It turned out the fuel gauge has a dedicated 2 amp fuse that was blown.Just a suggestion.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ok thanks. Iíll check out the link, and also try to find that 2 amp fuse. I know there is a fuse panel in the forward driver side basement bin. Maybe itís in there.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

Location of fuse I haven't seen fuel gauge fuse ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05kstar View Post
I replaced the sender on my friends 2005 Monaco to no avail.It turned out the fuel gauge has a dedicated 2 amp fuse that was blown.Just a suggestion.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just looked in the front bin where all the fuse boxes are and didnít see a fuel gauge fuse. I have 3 boxes and I double checked them all.
I am doing the troubleshooting per the link that was mentioned above. Iíll see what I come up with. One thing I figured out is that my single wire that is disconnected is the low fuel alarm wire. And itís probably disconnected because the gauge is stuck on almost empty! Lol.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think I might have proven itís a bad sender unit. The gauge has been sitting in the empty range the whole time Iíve owned the RV. Not all the way empty but close. I removed the wire from the sender that goes to the gauge, and the gauge moved to full. I think that proves itís getting a bad reading from the sender
Old 10-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat 38D with the Cummins ISC. I bought it used a couple months ago. Since Iíve had it the fuel gauge hasnít worked. It sits in the empty range, maybe an 1/8 of a tank of a little less.

I took the panel out the exposes the sender unit hookups. I canít read the label that has the part number or what the resistance range should be. I know Iíve seen some that are 0-90 ohms, and others that are 35-240 ohms. Mine currently reads just under 8 ohms. If Iím reading between the right two posts.

Also the top wire on the sender was not hooked up. I hooked it up and loosened each and then tightened it again to make sure the connection was good.

Im not sure exactly how much fuel I have on board right now, but it was full when I bought it, and it reads the same on the gauge then too.

So, does anyone have an idea of what type of sender I have? Also judging by the location of the sender unit on the side of the tank I assume Iíll have to have a very low tank to replace the sender without spilling a bunch of diesel.
Can you tell me where the little panel is to expose the fuel sending unit?
map747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by map747 View Post
Can you tell me where the little panel is to expose the fuel sending unit?
Itís in the front passenger side basement bin, the one right behind the front tire. Itís a 5 or 6Ē screw on panel. Iíll take a pic later
Old 10-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
Itís in the front passenger side basement bin, the one right behind the front tire. Itís a 5 or 6Ē screw on panel. Iíll take a pic later
I found it, was hiding behind some boxes.
map747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My fuel gauge was not reading accurately. I did go through the calibration process which did help but it was still not reading accurately.

I ended up getting a Silverleaf VMSpc and use a small laptop to display my engine/transmission vitals as well as fuel consumption. Very accurate. Don't even look at the fuel gauge anymore.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #12

Hi please help me.

My fuel gauge always reads full untill its half or a quarter of a tank empty.

Any think i can do ??.

I have no idea really where to start other than loosen and clean the contacts.

Jason from the UK.
jkent19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The person from Centroid that Iíve been in contact with also mentioned to me that microbial growth in the fuel tank can cause issues with the sender. He recommended I treat my tank before installing a new sender.
Iím not sure if your sender is otherwise good, if you can pull it, clean it, and maybe get some more life out of it.

Weíre trying to figure out what P/N mine is because itís stickers are pretty much gone. I just have to measure the tank for them and they should tell me how much Iím going to have to shell out for a new sender.

Something else Iíve noticed with my Diplomat is when Iím fueling up it wants to spill over pretty easily. Iíve read on here thatís pretty normal I guess. The other diesel vehicles (and tractors) Iíve owned all had a more vertical fuel neck, where the Diplomat is almost horizontal.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:23 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is what I've learned for several issues raised here:
The previous owner for my 2004 HR got and installed a new sender from Veurink's RV Center. I think it was a Centroid. They probably only need to know the MY and model. There is no calibration on the new sender although the Owner's manual for my coach (same MY/Model) shows one. I've learned that there are lots of errors and poor instructions/illustrations for many items and don't necessarily match what the coach actually has.
Just take good pics and carefully mark the wires before removal as the new sender may have different markings for different pins.

I can see if there are any contaminants in the tank from the sender hole although due to the small opening, there really is no room to shine a light and look at the same time. So I got a small submersible flashlight from Amazon for less than $20.00 for that and I could drop it into the tank bottom (in a leash) as just shining a light only showed the surface and the tank top reflection.

I use a bright flashlight when refueling as mine is also difficult to see as different pumps don't necessarily cut off at the same level.

Tags
diplomat, fuel, monaco, monaco diplomat