RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Monaco Diplomat leveling system issues/questions

Iím having a couple issues with my jacks, and also have a couple questions about the system in general.

Where we are parked right now the RV is slightly nose down. I can get it level with the jacks without issue, but overnight the front will creep back down. My question here is am I supposed to leave the system on after I level the RV, or turn it off? (Iíve been turning it off).
I assume Iím either doing it wrong or the front jack needs to be rebuilt.

The second issue is my jack unsafe light (little red flashing light) does not turn off. I have visually verified that all jacks go up. My question is where are the sensors for these? Is it internal or external on the jack?
I also want to add that the front jack takes about twice as long to retract as the two rear jacks.
Iíve read that I can replace the jack springs, and that might help my issue.

My last question is if the jacks are hydraulic, where is the pump and reservoir located?

Iíve included a pic of my jack control panel and of the front jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE6FEB73-B3BA-4DB2-96B9-F499C865955C.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	306287   Click image for larger version

Name:	E8CA4055-CB5E-465E-A5A5-7F31756021CA.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	568.7 KB
ID:	306288  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

Looks like we are going to be learning together!

I haven't tried my leveling jacks yet but am planning to stop today and pick up some boards to put under it so that it doesn't sink into my yard too badly. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's the info on how to manually retract the jacks. I'm wondering if one of your valves is part-way open? Otherwise it seems like you've god a hydraulic seal somewhere that isn't holding pressure. Either way, the system should all be located in this corner.

Fffrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

The jacks down light is most likely reservoir is probably low. Procedure in owners manual might be lower one jack down 6" should trigger alarm or level sensor is bad. Most likely is Dextron2 or hyd46 oil.
My pump / tank is under steps, have someone run jacks listen for pump.
Look for manual release jack solenoids make sure needle valves hand tight for the jack creep.Most times jack creep is Orings in solenoid.
Wash down and wipe the jack rods with WD40 and exercise them, supposed to do before raising them.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ok great. This is good info. Thanks guys

I’ll try to locate my reservoir now that I have an idea where it should be.

Also I should have mentioned that I did read somewhere about wiping them down and exercising them. I extended them, wiped them with oil, and then extended and retracted them a few more times, wiping them each time between.

The first time I tested my jacks I was parked on grass, and they sank in. Then I got smart and put some boards under them like you mentioned. Now we are parked on concrete and I don’t have that issue.

It just bugs me when I wake up in the morning and can feel that I’m at a slant

Oh I also wanted to ask, can the solenoids be rebuilt at home, or are there special tools involved?
Old 10-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make sure you know which fluid to add if you need some. I know my hwh system need auto transmission fluid. Any thing else can cause issues.

Fyi, I turn off my system after using the system. I dont think you want to leave it on. You might drain the chassis battries. But, i do see a little creep on the leveling over days. I might need to tweak it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ps if you have an air bag system. You might need to bleed the air before using the hydraulic system.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Usually is what I’ll do is when I park the RV I dump the air from the air system. Then I’ll level it only as much as I have to. I figure if I level it with the airbag stills inflated it would mean the jacks have to keep the RV much higher than they would if the air system is dumped first.

I’m thinking it might have a sticker on the reservoir telling me what type of fluid to use. Or worst case scenario it’s probably in the owners manual
Old 10-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

I agree if the light stays on, probably low on fluid. There should also be an alarm on as well. My pump is located inside the generator front access on the curb side. Fill port is on top. With mine I had to fill it until the alarm went off to get correct fluid level. Took about a 1/2 quart of transmission fluid. I turn mine off once level and it stays put. If you donít have the operation/trouble shooting manual, they are available on line.
ncsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I looked for the pump in the front of the RV but couldn’t find it. In my manual it shows the same pic as was posted above, and mentions that the pump and reservoir are located on the front curb side of the RV. After looking around a bit I found them in the drivers side bin, just forward of my power cord bin in the back.

I don’t see any markings on it saying what type of fluid to use. Think I would be safe using ATF as mentioned above?

Another couple questions I have from looking in this bin. Why does this bin use the special circle keys? Why not a regular key like the rest of the basement bins?

Second question. Looking at the pic, I assume this is my air dryer on the far left side. It looks like a filter on top that says (hand tighten only). How often does this get changed, or, how can I tell if it’s dirty enough to change?

Edit: I just found a thread discussing air dryer maintenance and the kit I would need (DQ6026).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E837D517-5B2D-4EA9-A3BE-ABE946539B37.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	306528  
Old 11-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #10

I have 2002 monoco diplimat has same set up. But havent had to anything yet, working my way toward the back. bought it 5 months ago.
Papadwbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #11

If you pull plug or dipstick use something to get a dab on paper towel, red it's trans or yellowish AW46. If jacks ever make knocking or popping at night get some 15w fork oil or Cat stiction additive.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #12

I like that setup makes a few things real easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
I looked for the pump in the front of the RV but couldnít find it. In my manual it shows the same pic as was posted above, and mentions that the pump and reservoir are located on the front curb side of the RV. After looking around a bit I found them in the drivers side bin, just forward of my power cord bin in the back.

I donít see any markings on it saying what type of fluid to use. Think I would be safe using ATF as mentioned above?

Another couple questions I have from looking in this bin. Why does this bin use the special circle keys? Why not a regular key like the rest of the basement bins?

Second question. Looking at the pic, I assume this is my air dryer on the far left side. It looks like a filter on top that says (hand tighten only). How often does this get changed, or, how can I tell if itís dirty enough to change?

Edit: I just found a thread discussing air dryer maintenance and the kit I would need (DQ6026).
Old 11-03-2020, 12:26 AM   #13

Hers a link for air dryer,I'm thinking you be able to get a couple seasons instead of splitting a season. OTR truck 2yrs or 200k miles with 5 axels. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nmTqTyTfvZuXfV
Old 11-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I pulled the plug and it’s trans fluid. The plug used to have a dipstick but it looks like it got broken off at some point. Hopefully not in the reservoir. Lol.

First I opened each manual retract valve one by one to make sure they were letting the pressure out. I assume that the spring pressure should be enough to retract the jacks, but on mine it wasn’t. They did move off the ground but there wasn’t enough spring to retract them. So I assume I need to replace the springs at some point.

After I closed all the valves I powered up the system and retracted the jacks. I checked the fluid level with a long zip tie. It’s about 2-3” from the top of the reservoir with all jacks retracted. That seems like a decent level but I’m not sure without the dipstick.

One thing I noticed is the front jack seemed to retract a lot faster when I turned the system on after I played with the manual valve. Maybe it was leaking down through that. We’ll see later today if the RV starts lowering itself again.

Tags
diplomat, leveling, leveling system, monaco, monaco diplomat