Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
2000 Monaco Dynasty Slide-Room Cylinder Rebuild and Hose Replacement

We spent the week at a local state park and had a serious issue with the slide when we packed up to leave. When we set up after arriving, I found transmission fluid on top of the plastic bin I use to store our hose. It was in the third, road side compartment, under the rear slide mechanism. That's the rear mechanism of the large living/kitchen slide, we don't have a bedroom slide. It wasn't much, a few ounces, so I didn't worry about it, thinking I could address it when I got home.

After packing up, I tried to bring the slide in and the facia trim around the inside of the slide room came into contact with the wall inside the motor home. The contact occurred at the rear of the room, where the transmission fluid was leaking.

The front of the slide came in almost all the way, but the rear only came in about half way, there was a 4-5 inch difference between the front and the back which cocked the room and caused the contact. I was able to remove the room facia and there was enough space for the slide to straighten up without contacting the wall. I filled the reservoir with all the transmission fluid I had and the slide came in almost straight, its still out about an inch at the rear, but it allowed me to drive it home.

I'm thinking the leak at the rear caused that end of the slide to move only a small amount while the front moved the normally. I only had about a quart of fluid and it didn't fill the slide motor reservoir, but except for the few ounces I found on the plastic tub, I have not seen any fluid leaking in the compartment or on the ground under the coach. I check it yearly and last put fluid in the reservoir in 2019.

I'm going to remove all the contents of that bay in the morning and see if I can find out where the fluid is leaking, its directly under that large ram that goes all way across that compartment. Where is the hydraulic cylinder? Is it inside that square tube that extends the slide?

The pic on the left shows the entire slide, the side that made contact is on the far left past the microwave. The pic on the right shows the extruded aluminum cap on the slide room. I removed the facia from this piece to get the room in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6861 (1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	337834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6863 (2).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	337835  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is the compartment and tub.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6864(1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	337843  
Old 07-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have some leaking hydraulics. This is an HWH system, right?
I did a writeup on here a while back about pulling the rams and having new seals installed.
Your problem sounds like it's either the synchronizing cylinder, or the hose end fittings. If the rams were leaking, it would be dripping out of the arm that extend out under the slideout. Once air gets into the system it needs to be purged out using a procedure documented in HWH's manuals. It involves extending the slide all the way, then disconnecting the rams from the outboard end, then cycling them out/back a few times.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/nee...-431958-2.html
I only did the rams. Wish I'd done the sync cylinders at the same time.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 07-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
so looking at that thread, the roadside slide rams can be removed from the curb side if I don't have a curbside slide? Where is the equalizing cylinder?
Old 07-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
BTW, how much did it cost to rebuild the cylinders?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this applies to the upper line coaches such as yours...but on the Diplomat series the manual says to only move the slides in and out at full air suspension to ensure the slides do not bind in the wall cutout. Of course the '02-40' Diplomat series uses the gear driven operation to move the slides in and out, in lieu of fluid/cylinder operation. Try the full air suspension and recycling of the slide and see if the pressure is reduced enough to stop the leaking. Good luck with your problem.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I tend to follow Monaco's guidelines if the parking spot isn't real far off level. In this case, I didn't even have to level the coach after extending the slide, just dropped the jacks to make contact with the ground.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Cylinder rebuild is pretty cheap. Any local hydraulic shop can replace the seals with standard parts. ~$60 each? I don't recall.
The sync cylinder is somewhere above the storage bay. It'll be running longitudinally.
If you only have a slide on one side, I believe your cylinders will come out much easier than mine did.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 07-31-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I went out early this morning to see if the slide would extend and it went right out. Apparently It has to be extended to remove the cylinder from the inner square tube attached to the slide. I only have the one slide so I have clear access on the curb side to remove the cylinder from the square tube attached to the frame.

Iíll need to trace the smaller hose to find the location of the equalizer cylinder.

As you can see in the pic, there is quite a bit of fluid below the the square tube at the rear and a small amount below the front one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EA549C62-D555-4C98-8A0E-341A814875AB.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	337888   Click image for larger version

Name:	9C98A9FD-B286-48A6-AE69-8F2D6E5F02B5.jpeg
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	337889  

Name:	72AFD95D-CE64-4E2B-8E71-7930B5C17A99.jpeg
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	337890   Click image for larger version

Name:	5874A4CD-085B-4859-A48F-6E7622CD672F.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	337891  

Old 07-31-2021, 07:41 PM   #10

More often the hose end at the ram. The hoses are tagged with a number. About 60$ from hwh. They have to be the same length of the equalizer cylinder to do it's job. Buy a splice connector , I think a #4 iirc to pull the new hose through as you pull the old one out.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
More often the hose end at the ram. The hoses are tagged with a number. About 60$ from hwh. They have to be the same length of the equalizer cylinder to do it's job. Buy a splice connector , I think a #4 iirc to pull the new hose through as you pull the old one out.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. The hose fittings are at the end of the cylinder on the outside of the cylinder mounting plate. You can see them in this picture. The directions from HWH for replacing a cylinder on this slide mechanism is very clear. The hoses do not go inside the square tubing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6865.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	337959  
Old 07-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #12

I meant for the equalizer cylinder. They tend to leak right near the swedge.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I meant for the equalizer cylinder. They tend to leak right near the swedge.
Got it. I havenít even found it yet. I plan to look for it this AM. I donít work outside past about 10 this time of year.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well, it looks like the equalizing tank is in the space with the fuel tank. I traced both the front and rear hoses into that space. I canít see very far into the space through the fuel cap door because the frame rail gets in the way. I can get access by drilling out these two rivets right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F06DEAB8-FC4E-4FEE-90C2-718C7CADF346.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	337987  

Tags
problem, slide