Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Monaco Exec DS AquaHot Questions

Recently purchased 2000 Exec and need to get some info from someone familiar with systems I have.

There are some questions I need answered relating to heating/Aquahot....

Here's my system-----
I have three (3) roof A/c Heat Pumps - Front unit has 4 button single zone duotherm thermostat in Living Area. Center unit and Bedroom units on 5 button two zone duotherm thermostat in bedroom.

Front thermostat will select front Fan, A/C, Heat Pump or Furnace.

Bedroom thermostat Zone 1 selects Center Unit Fan, A/C or Heat Pump - no Furnace.

Bedroom thermostat Zone 2 Selects bedroom Fan, A/C, Heat Pump, Furnace or Heat Strip.

Currently, AquaHot not working due to diesel Burner Black Smoke - will get fixed at next opportunity.

That being said, I have two questions about this system...

1. Why is there no FURNACE selection on Bedroom Thermostat Zone 1? Aquahot has pumps for Front, Middle and Rear heat exchangers.

2. There's a heat switch in toilet that I can't find any relating documentation - what is needed to make heat appear in toilet area?
Lee Bornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

Have you checked your Monaco operation manual, it has a section on how to operate heating/cooling system, I would say your bedroom stat without furnace does not operate on Aqua Hot, just heat pump. Your bathroom heater works off your bedroom stat with furnace selection, can't remember which zone, I think zone 2, mine was a little tricky, had to mess with zone control to finally get it to work. Good luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Onside my AquaHot unit I have 4 circulation pumps, One for Front Area, One for Bath Area, one for Bed Area and one for Engine Heat.

Front, Bath and Bed pumps each are controlled by Thermostats and Engine is controlled by Dash Switch. Question is - why no FURNACE on one zone?

Since Diesel Burner is not working it's hard to test system just using 120v heating element.

All my owners manual says about AquaHot is the On/Off switch for diesel burner, 120v electric element and maintenance schedule.

Electrical Wiring diagram shows three zone thermostats to control three circulation pumps. No wiring shown for heater switch in toilet.

Anyone else out there with experience with 2000 Exec with AquaHot and 3 roof air/heat Pumps?

Lee
Old 06-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #4

If your 120V electric heat is on and then you turn on Aqua Hot system it will not work since your system is already at temp due to 120 V electric having water temp at operating temperature.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Outbound:
Am aware of that - not trying to turn on burner due to black smoke issue.
Just want to get all zone heat exchangers working with respective thermostats.

It's cold here in Montana today - 32 right now - in campground with 30A only so have no heat other than one heat pump producing minimal heat.

Lee
Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I ran into that after having my middle rooftop AC replaced and the tech not hooking the wires up correctly in the ceiling. We caught it right away and he got them hooked back to the wires that they were originally hooked to. Has that AC maybe been changed? I’m no help as to which wires go where, but that might be a place to research.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Randyman::
Don't know history of coach so cant comment on whats been done on A/C system.

Will go up on roof and pull cover off unit once it gets warmer here.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I know there is a control board with dip switches under the cover on top, and maybe that was not set correctly. The wires I’m talking about were accessed in the ceiling from inside. You might be able to plug and unplug the phone looking cable in the ceiling, just to make sure it is making good contact, as well as seeing if anything is not hooked up or come apart. Also you might try resetting that thermostat. Google that on this site, I can’t remember which buttons you hold down when you turn the thermostat on to reset it. I think you also have to reset it after making any dip switch or wiring changes for it to recognize the changes. Good luck and I hope you get it resolved quickly. Randy
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have 4 button, or 5 button Duo Therm thermostats?
The Furnace option on your thermostat is your Aqua Hot heat. Most Monaco coaches are set up with AC zone 1 up front, zone 2 in the rear, and zone 3 is the center.
This is programmable by removing the plastic shroud over the AC and then the small metal cover over the AC circuit board. The metal cover is on the right (passenger side) and held on by 2 small screws. The circuit board has dip switches that determine the zone number.
It may be possible someone replaced one of your AC Heat Pumps and not set the dip switches up properly (this is common).
Also, some coaches have only two furnace zones even though you have 3 AC zones, and most coaches also have a basement heat zone.

To reset the thermostat (required if you change dip switch settings):
1. Turn the ON/OFF switch (black switch on underside) to the "OFF" position.
2. Simultaneously depress and hold the MODE and
ZONE push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch
to "ON". FF should appear in LCD display until the
mode and zone push-buttons are released.

4-Button manual
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc.pdf

5-Button manual (Dip Switch setting Figure 8)
Duo Therm 5 Button 3109228.001 Troubleshooting

The electric Aqua Hot will use 12a and is not a good option on a 30 amp service. The Aqua Hot diesel burner smoking is no big deal. If you are cold, you can still use it as long as it doesn't upset your neighbors.

You can service the diesel burner yourself. It will need a new fuel filter and burner nozzle. You can purchase parts and get advice here:
RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home

The heat switch in the toilet can be an extra Aqua Hot heat exchanger or an optional electric heater.

You can download legacy Monaco Owners Manuals here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals
(They do not list the 2000, but the 2001 will be very close.)
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Black smoke

I don't know if your situation is like mine but we bought our Signature in October. This spring we started Aquahot for first time and had black smoke out of exhaust. Let run for a couple minutes and it cleared up to not be seen at all. I think it was because it had not been used in so long it just had some fuel/residue build up. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vito:
Thanks for the info.
Front thermostat is 4 button - Rear is 5 button.
Zone 1 on rear is Center A/C Unit
Zone 2 on rear is Bedroom A/C Unit.

I'd service unit myself - did that on webasto on my Prevost - but I'm too big to fit into bay on Monaco Exec to do anything on AquaHot.

I'll check out rooftop stuff and see if I can get any ideas as to whats wrong.

I will have someone skinny crawl into bay for AquaHot service.

Will see if black smoke dissipates after running unit for an hour or so.

Thanks

Lee
Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
went up top today and found that Middle A/C (Rear Zone 1) had Furnace DIP switch OFF. Changed that and reset thermostat.

Now have heat from mid coach heat exchangers and toilet heat when switch in toilet is on.

Front Thermostat still turns on heat exchangers in furnace mode but no heat - possibly bad relay or zone pump.

Rear Zone 2 (Bed Area) still not working - could be bad rooftop circuit board or aquahot relay.

Need to get into bay somehow to check AquaHot Circuits - may skip dinner tonite!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

Hello Lee. I also have a 2000 Executive with 3 zones. Oddly, both of my thermostats are 4 button. On my setup, zone 1 on bedroom thermostat is for the bedroom area and zone 2 is for the center area. The rear thermostat does have a furnace mode for my aqua Hot. I turn the aqua Hot switch over the sink on when using the furnace. I have the the bathroom heater but I haven't messed with it so can't help much there. Also, as you probably know, the oil furnace won't run when you're below 1/4 tank. The owners manual has a good description of how the thermostats are supposed to work.
Al Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
How do you switch zones on your rear 4 button thermostat?

On Burner Switch over kitchen sink - which way is ON?

Press Bottom of button=ON or
Press Top of button=ON?

My red light must be burnt out.

Lee

Tags
monaco