Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
RKK

2001-04 Paint Issue - should I avoid these years?

I have been reading posts on the paint/fibreglass issues on 2001-04 diplomats. Is this a major point of concerns when looking at buying one of these years? I understand that the issue is in the fibreglass and not the paint per se, so repainting will have no effect.
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2001 diplomat. This is the first I am hearing anything about the fiberglass or paint. I will search out these threads. My rig looks great. And I don't see any fiberglass issues. But I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I'll get back to you. BTW I have a 38A model and love it.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen the "paint ckecking" on many coaches. It isn't just a few years, I would say I've seen it from 1998 to 2008. It is most troublesome on coaches with dark colors. I bought a 2003 a year and a half ago and it has 6-7 checks on the dark green color, I had to look hard to find them and don't know if they were there when I bought it. Just look very close, some don't have it and the next same year model may. It won't crack and the wall fall on the road but it sucks to see it. If you find one in the year your talking about and there are no ckecks there's a good chance you'll be ok.
Good luck
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2001 diplomat 38A. I have no issues with my paint or decals. Just had it waxed and it looks great. I'm not sure what the issue is. But apparently it didn't affect them all. I'm in FL where there is some major hot days.
Rick
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There was a very extensive discussion here years ago.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/pain...4-a-10358.html
If you read all the posts you will get to the root of the matter. In summary, Monaco and a couple of other RV mfgrs bought fiberglass from a supplier, Owens Corning I think, could be wrong there, that turned out to be unsuitable for the application. Monaco actually did reskin a few of their top line coaches but stonewalled most of us on any action. It appeared first on coaches with black paint. Now over the years it is appearing on the other colors too. They finally did buyback a couple of hi-line rigs too. In the end they offered a $30k rebate (applicable to purchase price only) if you bought a new Monaco coach. I was too insulted to respond. Shortly a therafter Monako went under and any recovery was prevented. OBTW it was reported that Monaco go a sizeable recovery from the fiberglass mfgr but never passed any of it on to the damaged customers. Lawyers weren't interested because Monaco was failing and their chance of becoming millionaires was zero to none.

Ron
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I did read those threads. My theory is that if it didn't happen yet, in 12 years. It's not going to. Maybe they used more than one supplier for fiberglass panels. I can't explain it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I did read those threads. My theory is that if it didn't happen yet, in 12 years. It's not going to. Maybe they used more than one supplier for fiberglass panels. I can't explain it.
If your avatar photo is the coach you're referring to it's entirely possible it'll never happen. It is all very light colors and they are the last to go. Today, 9 yrs in, mine is finally starting to show the problem in the light tan color. Hopefully yours never will!!!
Ron
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron

I guess never say never. If yours started after 9 years then I guess it can happen anytime. Yes mine is in general lighter cord. I have black decals but they seem to be holding up fine so far. I'll just keep an eye on it.
Thanks
Rick
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The issue most have is the clear coat peeling along teh roof line. Monaco, Winnebago and others have this issue. If you look at a lot of new coaches, they're bragging about their multiple clear coats. Mine is an 05 and will need the roof line repainted. It's always been outdoors and uncovered, but has been waxed 5-6 times a year.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint